So confused!

Nick912

Hey guys I have bad an ace350 for a while now and have put hundreds of hours on it and have found numerous clad coins and cool trinkets and 1 silver. I have become pretty proficient with it. But I'm ready for an upgrade. I spend countless hours researching new machines. I hear so many great things about Etracs and ATPros, High end Whites machines ect. I can afford an Etrac, but of course if I could get an ATpro and be happy with it that would be great too! I hunt coins and stuff and don't plan to get in the water. Maybe just some beach and shallow stuff. But I don't want to get that machine and regret it and wish I would have got a Minelab. I'm really looking to hit those deep old coins.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!
Nick

Hey guys I have bad an ace350 for a while now and have put hundreds of hours on it and have found numerous clad coins and cool trinkets and 1 silver. I have become pretty proficient with it. But I'm ready for an upgrade. I spend countless hours researching new machines. I hear so many great things about Etracs and ATPros, High end Whites machines ect. I can afford an Etrac, but of course if I could get an ATpro and be happy with it that would be great too! I hunt coins and stuff and don't plan to get in the water. Maybe just some beach and shallow stuff. But I don't want to get that machine and regret it and wish I would have got a Minelab. I'm really looking to hit those deep old coins.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!
Nick

You are used to the 350 so the at pro would not be a big problem. BUT for my money the Minelab xterra 705 would be the machine I would look at. I am at 14 silvers already this year. I just bought a 15 inch coil that gets my depth over a foot NP. This detector never suprises me anymore of what it can do. I expect silver everytime I go out. This detector has 4 programs for coin shooting,relic mode,beach mode and all metal. You can use 28 tones 4,3 or 2 tones. The garrett detectors have a emf problem,the 705 you can in most cases max out the sensitivity without any stability problems. Good luck with your purchace!

I currently have a AT Pro and really like it. But I just purchased a used LNIB Etrac because I really don't want to have to upgrade for awhile. The AT is a great detector but hopefully I will be liking the etrac just as well or better. I am really hooked on finding silver and I have found quite a bit with the AT but I am afraid I am going over deeper signals. I was thinking about selling the AT so I could skip the etrac and go right into the CTX 3030 but after talking to a well respected sponsor here on the forum (Bart from Big Boy Hobbies) he recommended I stay with the etrac and keep the AT for all my fresh water hunts. I took his advice to heart, I really appreciate that he gave me a honest answer to my question and in so doing lost a sale on a CTX. Anyway, you can either go my approach AT first and then Etrac, or go all the way and sell your 350 and use that money to help pay for the CTX...make sure you call Bart first though..he is as honest as the day is long and will give you a good deal on the detector you choose. Hope this helps from someone who was going through the same thought processes as yourself.

Thanks guys.. I think I would be happy with the ATP but would always wonder if I am missing something. I think I'm gonna get the minelab. Maybe I should get that safari for 575 here on the FS board!

If there is any question keep it banked for a CTX decision. If you buy a $600-$700 machine and a month later decide you should have gone for it, there will be regret. That's my take anyways, and I ordered my E-Trac the day before CTX was announced :lol:

Thanks guys.. I think I would be happy with the ATP but would always wonder if I am missing something. I think I'm gonna get the minelab. Maybe I should get that safari for 575 here on the FS board!

Safari should be as deep as the Etrac, just has fewer bells and whistles. (Not as much target info, no backlighting, etc.) Perhaps try that and see if you really like the Minelab FBS and all the chatter they are known for. If you really like it you could move to the Etrac later.

Wow the minelabs are really getting the stamp of approval. I for sure thought more ATpro guys would jump on here.

I might as well pile on. As long as you're not going to play in the water, get a 705 and don't look back.

Wow the minelabs are really getting the stamp of approval. I for sure thought more ATpro guys would jump on here.

Well you did say that you didn't plan to get in the water so that scared off the AT Pro guys. Just get the 705 and enjoy:D

If I get the 705 will I just want to upgrade to ETRAC soon? Or will I be happy for a while? I'm not sure I like having to buy all those coils

You don't have to buy "all those coils". You only buy the ones that suit your purpose, just as you would with any other detector. The difference is that it can be essencially three machines in one, meaning that you only have to learn one machine to do the work of up to three.
The 705 has much to offer anyone that takes the time to learn it. If instant gratification is your game, and you think that the finds will jump out of the ground for you if you buy an E-Trac, then buy it.

I have both a 705 (V-Flex) and an FBS machine (Explorer SE), and they don't compete with each other as much as they compliment each other. Having both, I can't honestly say that one is better than the other....they're just different, and both excellent. What I will say, is that the Explorer will go down the road long before the 705, because for what it offers the 705 has no equal.

If I get the 705 will I just want to upgrade to ETRAC soon? Or will I be happy for a while? I'm not sure I like having to buy all those coils
The coils can be found much cheaper if you watch the classifieds. I bought a 9 inch 3kHz coil last fall for $100 shipped.I have the Xterra 70 and can tell you from honest experience ,it is the most stable and accurate machine I have used.
You will appreciate the auto noise cancel and auto ground balancing features that the 705 offers.And don't forget about the prospecting feature.:grin:

I have an Ace250 and an At Pro, but I think I will branch out and go top of the line Minelab for my next purchase. I don't wat to end up brand dependent in such a great hobby. The best part is experimenting with the different toys.

Last edited:
I have a Minelab Explorer XS. Its an older machine but you can get deep with it. I would go with any minelab if it was me

Deep silver? No question. Go with the Etrac. The 705 is a great, lightweight, versatile machine but the Etrac smokes it and everything else for depth and silver.

Yes, I do have and have been using the ctx this year but I am still not very comfortable with it and am not thoroughly convinced it beats my Etrac. I do only have limited outings with it so far but sometimes I'm tempted to drag the Etrac out of the truck because I know everything it says to me.

The main reason for my ctx is the weight though. Etrac can get pretty heavy after a long day and the ctx is so well balanced and the wireless headphones it is a delight to swing all day. So far, though, it has been kind of frustrating and I keep thinking to myself I have an expensive shallow penny magnet but we will see.

The way I look at it, get the best you can afford for what you want it for. Am sure I will grow to love my ctx like I do the Etrac. Then the extra bells and whistles over the Etrac will be worth it.

Deep silver? No question. Go with the Etrac. The 705 is a great, lightweight, versatile machine but the Etrac smokes it and everything else for depth and silver.
Get Coiltek's 6" and/or 15" 3kHz coil(s) and you'll change your tune. It's the E-Trac's low frequency ability that make it a silver hammer, and now that the Xterra has more than one 3kHz coil available it can easily work side-by-side with an FBS machine.

You can hunt for all the coins you want....but if you want the big ticket items, they are in the water. I could not be happier that people are telling people to get NON water machines...thats more treasure for me to find.:lol: Everyone has a different hunting style and preference....I prefer gold rings over silver coins so I hunt the water...so i chose the AT-Pro.

Back
Top Bottom