Big ol shark tooth ?

X

Xray

Found this the other day while digging something else, sure looked like a tooth at first but after cleaning I am thinking its more a tooth shaped rock, especially the back looks rock-ish.
Old chunk whatever it is, there appear to be fossil impressions in it.

Attachments

• 100_2037 (Medium).JPG
    100_2037 (Medium).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_2038 (Medium).JPG
    100_2038 (Medium).JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 686
It certainly has the right shape, but every fossilized tooth I have ever seen looks about the same. I think you're right in that it is probably a toothshaped rock. Cool though. I used to have a great little fossilized shark tooth collection. I stupidly took them in a little box with me to the beach when I was in 7th grade. I have know idea why I took them with me, but I know I left them inside my winter vest (remember those?) and I left the stupid vest in the motel room. I was so mad. I had about 20 or so. I can't believe how expensive they are if you try and buy them. Oh well.

Yeah, unless it is infested with calcium deposits or something, seems thickness alone would rule it out of being a tooth. I've got a few, some of those bigger ones in the 3-6 inch range look like they can bring in some $$$.
I do remember those padded style winter vests - My only question is how much use are these at a beach ??

spittfire said:
Don't know about the rock, but that's a cigarette next to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, found this unusual, very well preserved early era style 2 Newport right next to it, looks to be in mint condition

That is a big chopper for sure. I have picked sharks teeth on the gulf shore. The largest I have seen was about 2 inches across the top.
The megalathon (sp) teeth are still being found here in Florida along the peace river, and other spots I guess. There are boats out everyday with people looking for teeth caught in the bends of the river. I have no idea how they dig them or what they are worth. :?: Enlighten me.....Gil

I have several old fossilized shark teeth about that size.

Unfortunately that's just a tooth shapped rock, although it does seem to have odd marks on it in the 2nd picture...almost like tooling marks.

With the scrapes and marks on it, kind of looks like an unfinished arrowhead. How come we never find those? We only find finished ones. Take it to the university to get it checked out. Won't cost anything.

Heres an idea of what a good chomper can fetch

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it definitely looks like a broken spear point. With impact fractures. Looks possibly Paleo as well (approx. 9-12,000 B.C). It just might have drew blood on a wooly mammoth. Cool find.

user18 said:
How do you find this stuff, Jesse???

I found it digging for one of those Buffs I found last week at my little lot, had it sitting in my coat pocket for a few days until I rediscovered it.

Back
Top Bottom