Nox 800

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I am new new to detecting, 5-6 weeks. I’ve gone to a couple iron infested sites with the AT pro. After watching a video by Calabash I’ve decided I need a detector that’s better suited for what I want to hunt. (I got permission from the Mrs) Ghost towns, placer gold, and fresh water beaches with black sand. I know this is a lot of machine for a noob. Which YouTube videos do you recommend for a beginner?

I really thought about the 600 but friends go to gold sites with small gold. The Mrs thinks it would be wise to go with the upgrade vs dreaming of the upgrade.

WTH are you waiting for? You got the go ahead from the CFO! So just jump in with both feet! Under the auspices of having 'The right tool for the job'! Whip out that Credit card and step up to the plate! Time and Gold wait for nobody! Or diddle around and pay your dues for a few years sniping shallow clad...Or simply hunt the Coinstar reject tray with no rig at all!

I think you married well beyond your worthiness and caste rank, so good on you there, shows somebody saw some potential in you and believes you may be more capable than bringing home nothing but pennies and pulltabs....:laughing:

I am new new to detecting, 5-6 weeks. I’ve gone to a couple iron infested sites with the AT pro. After watching a video by Calabash I’ve decided I need a detector that’s better suited for what I want to hunt. (I got permission from the Mrs) Ghost towns, placer gold, and fresh water beaches with black sand. I know this is a lot of machine for a noob. Which YouTube videos do you recommend for a beginner?

I really thought about the 600 but friends go to gold sites with small gold. The Mrs thinks it would be wise to go with the upgrade vs dreaming of the upgrade.

You might be talking about this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtTzMJZTRls
(jump forward to about 5 minute mark)

With the AT PRO I've learned that you have to swing slowly and work small areas in different directions if you want to have any chance of unmasking high conductors near iron. Or, get lucky.

He also would have hit that dime just fine if he had turned 90 degrees and swung over the dime. (If you are using a DD coil, then don't listen to anybody that says to skip over a target if you turn 90 degrees and the high tone goes away. They don't understand how a DD coil "sees" the ground. Yes, it's probably a nail. It could also be a coin next to a low conductor. )

He would have hit it fine if he had swung over the dime first and then the iron.

So, no, you're not going to take and AT model and walk and swing quickly in one direction and expect to find higher conductors near iron.

You might be talking about this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtTzMJZTRls
(jump forward to about 5 minute mark)

With the AT PRO I've learned that you have to swing slowly and work small areas in different directions if you want to have any chance of unmasking high conductors near iron. Or, get lucky.

He also would have hit that dime just fine if he had turned 90 degrees and swung over the dime. (If you are using a DD coil, then don't listen to anybody that says to skip over a target if you turn 90 degrees and the high tone goes away. They don't understand how a DD coil "sees" the ground. Yes, it's probably a nail. It could also be a coin next to a low conductor. )

He would have hit it fine if he had swung over the dime first and then the iron.

So, no, you're not going to take and AT model and walk and swing quickly in one direction and expect to find higher conductors near iron.

I noticed that in the video also. The problem to me is the recover speed. If there’s nails all around a coin I would expect the AT pro to still have an issue. I know the Deus is supposed to be even better in iron but I also plan on hitting Tahoe beaches this summer.

Since you mentioned that gold is one of the items you're looking for then the 800 is going to better suited for you than the 600. The 800 has a gold program, and has the 20 kHz and 40 kHz frequencies that the 600 does not have. If you just use the Multi mode in other than the Gold program both the 600 and 800 use the same frequencies.

I have no experience with the AT Pro so I can't comment on that aspect.

-Joe

Last edited:
Given that the wife said it's ok to go with the 800, I'd do it...there's nothing that the 600 has that the 800 doesn't...so given the OK from the boss, the 800 would be the way to go (that's what I did myself)

Go with the 800 if you can afford it. I did not buy the 800. And now that I'm buying wireless headphones and such I will have more wrapped up into the 600 then I would have if I would have just bought the 800 to begin with. On a hot summer day those earbuds would be nice.

Enjoy your new machine and best of luck!

Go with the 800 if you can afford it. I did not buy the 800. And now that I'm buying wireless headphones and such I will have more wrapped up into the 600 then I would have if I would have just bought the 800 to begin with. On a hot summer day those earbuds would be nice.

Enjoy your new machine and best of luck!

I don't have either machine yet...but in pricing out the 600 and comparing to the 800's audio accessories the 600 turns out better.

The 600 still supports low-latency Bluetooth APTX. Decent quality low-latency APTX-LL ear buds can be had for $30.

They key difference is the 800 comes with the WM08 which is the lowest latency. The downside to that is while it is not attached to the machine, you still have to have an audio cable to the WM08 which is clipped on to you.

WM08 is around 17-20ms
APTX-LL Bluetooth around 38-40ms
Regular Bluetooth around 100+ms.

100ms = 1/10 of a second.

So low latency Bluetooth is 1/20 of a second which should be fast enough to not matter. Maybe someone with a very wide and fast swing on a very small target? I doubt it. When you get hit, no one pinpoints or narrows down the spot with fast swings so I'm not sure the WM08 is that important.

Regular Bluetooth is too slow and noticeable. 100ms is even too much for movie watching if you like a quality experience. Some earbuds are as slow as 250 or more milliseconds.

I personally would rather plug directly into the detector and have essentially zero latency if it was that critical.

Back
Top Bottom