What a way to start the new year!

sandgroper

Elite Member
Here’s my finds from the past two hunts (January 2nd, yesterday, and January 3rd, today)
Yesterday’s hunt was at an event venue which I started hunting towards the end of last year, and have already pulled a lot out of ($500+ in two hunts alone). There were quite a few people by the gates, so I waited for them to move on and in the meantime hunted an adjacent vacant site. Got a 1925 silver sixpence which was kinda cool. Then I spent the next few hours in the venue checking out some previously hunted areas and exploring a few new ones. Did really well again, getting a little over $243AUD ($172USD). Also found two silver rings. They were found 10 minutes apart so that was great considering I don’t normally find multiple silver rings in one hunt. Apart from that, I also dug up a 1934 penny, two souvenir coins from Kalgoorlie (that’s a mining town 600km east of Perth in goldfields), a junk ring, a heart pendant and a dragonfly pendant. No gold this time, but maybe next time (probably not :lol:)

Anyway, decided to take a break from digging the modern stuff today, and therefore had a few parks and verges (curb strips) in mind. Second verge gave up two halfpennies (1931, 32) so that was nice. Finally arrived at the park, where I dug a few more old coppers. The coil on the CTX started playing up too, I think there’s a broken fibre within it because I could only use it with the coil at a slight angle before the coil lost communication with the detector. That sucked, so might have to send it in to Minelab if it gets worse. Nonetheless, I was still getting some good stuff out the ground. Found a nice little silver earring in the playground, and at the next park I got my first two silver coins for the day (a 1939 threepence and a 1947 florin). Also got my third silver ring for the year. This thing is ridiculously massive! :lol: I saw the stone in the hole, and had to take a picture of it!

After two hours or so, I moved onto some more verges to finish the hunt off. Didn’t take long before I had two more pennies, and also my first Canadian coin (1c). At another verge I got my fourth silver ring for the year. It was time for me to head home, so I told myself I’d do one more curb. Straight away I got a small silver thimble, that’s been marked ‘Made In England, Sterling Silver’. It's my first silver thimble so I was happy to finally find one. It’s been squished but I might try fixing it with some pliers. Other finds for today included 5c from New Zealand, a British pound, an Aldi trolley token, a bullet, buckle, an ‘Australia’ badge from WWII and just over $43 in clad. Not too bad :) Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2883.jpg
    IMG_2883.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2890.jpg
    IMG_2890.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 173
Congrats ! it just never stops for you does it....Im thinking you are the only one who hunts down there....Keep up the great work...HH

Now that's a great start to the new year Sandy, Congrats on the Silver Coins. the Sterling the old coins and all the new clad. Amazing amounts from just two outings. Trapper

Very nice start to the new year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That was quite a 2 day haul. You have a great hunting ground with all those targets. Hope your detector keeps working but with all that loot you are finding a new machine is not out of the question! Good luck. Jim

Congrats ! it just never stops for you does it....Im thinking you are the only one who hunts down there....Keep up the great work...HH

Thanks! We've got heaps of other people that hunt here too, both the parks and beaches. I know of one guy who found close to, if not, $1000 in a few hunts at a concert venue. These awesome spots exist, but are rare. In regards to finding old coins, I guess I just get lucky with finding them. I recon some of the parks I hunt are virgin because of all the stuff that lies there.

Really nice haul, congrats!

Thank you!

Now that's a great start to the new year Sandy, Congrats on the Silver Coins. the Sterling the old coins and all the new clad. Amazing amounts from just two outings. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! :)

Very nice start to the new year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks mate :grin:

Congrats! :woot: Amazing two hunts. :mder:

Thank you! :)

That was quite a 2 day haul. You have a great hunting ground with all those targets. Hope your detector keeps working but with all that loot you are finding a new machine is not out of the question! Good luck. Jim

Thanks! Gave the detector a test in the garden today, just to see how the coil is doing so I know what to expect on tomorrow's hunt. Seems to be working a bit better, but the problem is still there. I had the same problem last year, except I couldn't detect at all, so the coil got sent into Minelab. They fixed it free of charge thankfully so I only had to pay the $15 shipping fee. Will probably have to do that soon. Sucks, but luckily I have two spare coils and always carry one with me.

Love those silver coins:yes: Congrats on the sterling items, especially the thimble, the massive clad haul and the rest. That's 2 days of excellent digging!

Great start, I love the thimble . Congrats on a heck of a haul. HH Mark

Thanks! It's my first silver thimble so I'm quite happy to have found it. That reminds me, I still haven't fixed it so I should probably do that tomorrow :)

Love those silver coins:yes: Congrats on the sterling items, especially the thimble, the massive clad haul and the rest. That's 2 days of excellent digging!

Thanks Cptn! Quite happy with the way this year's heading so far :)

Awesome.

Did you post a pic of the WWII medal?

Thanks! Yes I did post the picture, it's the picture third from the bottom. (Also attached it here) The badge simply says 'AUSTRALIA' on it (there's also a buckle on the same picture). These badges were worn by Australian soldiers in both world wars, however the age of the park indicates it's probably from WWII.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom