Beach coils clarification question...

Seaking406

Elite Member
I have been using my ACE250 and 4.5" Super Sniper coil on land and on beaches lately and really enjoying it, though it's s small search swath..

before I would use the larger search coil that came with the metal detector on the beach but it would pick up a lot of false signals that required having to drop the sensitivity a lot to make it function less erratic when closer to the water or in very sea water saturated sands.. a youtube video by Uncle John (?) explains this well, and it does work but what do you lose with that sensitivity loss?

While out with the 4.5" Super Sniper Coil, I noticed that none of those issues were present when at the beach, I could have the coil up to the water, over the water, in among the black sand, everything that would give false signals to the larger coil were not present..

So my question is, what other large coils also have this type of performance at beaches as the Super Sniper coil? I'd like to be able to walk a bit faster while swinging the MD which I can't do with the smaller coil, so I'm wondering if there is a good larger sized coil that isn't easily mislead by false signals like the sniper coil?

Thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Reduced sensitivity = reduced depth. An Ace 250 is not made for wet salt water beaches. No single frequency machine is.

X2. What scuba said. ...you could run a 21"coil if you were using s a Minelab FBS.problem is you have the wrong machine for the environment you are hunting in.

Reduced sensitivity = reduced depth. An Ace 250 is not made for wet salt water beaches. No single frequency machine is.

ergh you both have me at a disadvantage as I don't know what you mean by a single frequency machine is.. apparently I have one?

However, my ACE250 with the sniper coil that has sensitivity turns up minus 1 notch was able to pull up that sterling silver ring from 11 inches of wet sand and a Twoonie from 12 inches near the water's edge.. ?

Cheers

ergh you both have me at a disadvantage as I don't know what you mean by a single frequency machine is.. apparently I have one?

However, my ACE250 with the sniper coil that has sensitivity turns up minus 1 notch was able to pull up that sterling silver ring from 11 inches of wet sand and a Twoonie from 12 inches near the water's edge.. ?

Cheers

Yes you have a single frequency VLF (Very Low Frequency) machine.

Because of all the mineralization in salt water single frequency VLF machines can't punch through it. The only VLF machines that work well in salt water are dual or more frequency VLF machines.

PI machines or Pulse Induction machines work great and get super deep but have a big disadvantage. Because of their nature they do not have a discrimination circuit. You find every piece of rusty junk and you find it deep.

It's hard to measure depth when digging in wet sand. Targets fall as you dig.

Hi, must be different type of sand than here? I put the shovel in the sand and pulled a plug out and the ring was sitting there poking out the side of the hole at an 11" depth.. sides of the hole didn't collapse as I was digging.. just saying..

Yes you have a single frequency VLF (Very Low Frequency) machine.

Because of all the mineralization in salt water single frequency VLF machines can't punch through it. The only VLF machines that work well in salt water are dual or more frequency VLF machines.

PI machines or Pulse Induction machines work great and get super deep but have a big disadvantage. Because of their nature they do not have a discrimination circuit. You find every piece of rusty junk and you find it deep.

Thanks for the explanation on the type differences, makes sense to me now..

But what sets the larger concentric type coil apart from the 4.5" sniper coil where one has to be 'de-sensitized' to work in the wet sand environment but the sniper coil doesn't act wonky at all?

My thought that hopefully there's another larger coil out there that acts the same way as the sniper coil does that would be more useful on the beaches for my needs.. ?

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom