Pro-pointer No More

coin-op

After two Pro-pointers in two years, I purchased an X-pointer six months ago. I kept the Pro-pointer for backup. Today I sold it. After a quick field test first, I decided I wasn't going back and needed to off load it before it failed. I also could see it's value would be dropping as the new AT Pro-pointers replace old ones.
There's no reason I can think of that a good, reliable pin-pointer can't be produced for under $100. For the time being it seems to be the Deteknix X-pointer IMO.

After two Pro-pointers in two years, I purchased an X-pointer six months ago. I kept the Pro-pointer for backup. Today I sold it. After a quick field test first, I decided I wasn't going back and needed to off load it before it failed. I also could see it's value would be dropping as the new AT Pro-pointers replace old ones.
There's no reason I can think of that a good, reliable pin-pointer can't be produced for under $100. For the time being it seems to be the Deteknix X-pointer IMO.

knock on wood, ive been hunting alot with my xpointer..and i love it...i dont think you can beat em for 89 bucks with a 2 yr warrantee...at this point i have no reason not to buy another xpointer..but i am waiting for the waterproof one to come out.. which will be soon according to the deteknix website..then my original will be my backup

pin pointer

Check out the Makro Pointer, waterproof down to 3 ft. I bought 1 over a week ago & am really happy with it. Own 2 GPP, that's enough! 1 falses all the time, the other 1 is still working (knock on wood) can't see buying a 3rd one. Carrot or not.

Did you return your Pro Pointers? They have a warranty too.

I returned it about 8 months after owning it for the on/off button to be repaired. warranty is up now so they wanted to charge for checking it out & repairing it. My wife has 1 also & it had to have repairs before the warranty was up, hopefully it will last for enough time to get another Makro. I am done with GPP.

I really like my X-Pointer and I believe it is much better than a ProPointer. I have owned 3 ProPointers and they all failed when the warranty ran out. I abuse my X-Pointer, caking it in mud and really putting it to the test and I have had no problems with it. If I had done that to my ProPointer it would not have held up. The only issue I have with he X-Pointer is that it doesn't play well with my MXT but I use the compatability switch on my headphones like a standby switch and that solves the noise issue. For the money the X-Pointer is hard to beat.

I will never buy another GARRETT pinpointer. The one I just bought used is already falsing. I have had the same problem with two others. I'm ordering a new xpointer next week.

yup Xpointer holds good for me too. had my GPP returned so i was forced to buy the Xpointer for backup but it seems it is gonna be my front runner. though the GPP looks new when returned back to me i decided not to use it since the Xpointer does the job well.

+1

I traded mine a few months ago too. I kept it as backup but decided after while, there wasn't a need. I love mine.

Just a side note on the X-pointer. You can 'super tune' it with a copper ring on your thumb. Slide your thumb up till it chirps then back off. You can get an extra inch of depth.
z30708.jpg

This is the exact reason as to why I did not jump in and buy a carrot - Garrett and everyone else for that matter knew about the problems with their GPP's, yet never addressed it as they simply farmed it.............

Not the way it should have been addressed IMO -

I will never buy another GARRETT pinpointer. The one I just bought used is already falsing. I have had the same problem with two others. I'm ordering a new xpointer next week.

You should still drop off that Garretts in Garland since you work in and out of Dallas. It surely has warranty left. martin~~~I do like my X-Pointer

I had the same problem with my Garrett, sent it in with a note and they sent it back repaired no hassles...

Having said that, I did get the X-Pointer before sending it in and am still using it and the Garrett, like them both. I've only had the X for a couple months but no issues with it so far whatsoever.

I will give Garrett high marks for customer service though, they were completely awesome in doing the repair and returning it fast. We'll see how long the repairs last just using it half-time instead of being my "go to" pinpointer...

I witnessed a hunting buddy throw his brand new TRX point down into the wet soil, as he muttered explitives. Guess they aren't perfect either.

Agree I have two Propointers and never had a problem with them I have pretty much caked them with mud and used them rough , Maybe I have been Lucky not sure . But I will say this I have seen the TRX and the Xpointer used by a few others I hunt with and they have had problems like some have had with the Pro pointer .

I love my x pointer. I did have it in for repair over the winter to fix the wires. But other than that. I love it. My pro pointer is back up even though I don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom