Got a Fisher CZ-3D Coming, So what's Next

jimz49

As the title says, I took the advise given in my other thread and got the Fisher CZ-3D. Now I'm thinking should I sell my Minelab Explorer II and look for something else to replace it. First let me explain about why I might consider selling the explorer. In addition to the explorer I have an e-trac. To me they're similar enough that I don't need two of almost the same thing.

So, what would you replace the explorer with? I'm a fair weather coin hunter on dry ground. Not looking to go water hunting or nugget hunting. I think my soil is moderately mineralized. Those are the parameters to use in making your choice(s). As a side note..I've been thinking about something in the Whites line, possibly a DFX or VX3. Yeah, I know there's a considerable price difference, but just wanted to put that out there.

Part of the metal detecting adventure is trying different equipment. I could just keep the explorer and forget about another machine, but what fun would that be?

Here is an idea, instead of parting with the Explorer II, why not make it a waterproof model? Then you could still try something new without the sticker-shock of buying a submersible machine....heck and the coils are interchangeable with your e-trac.

I have (2) waterproof Explorers and am happy to help with photo's and tips if you go that route.

BTW, congrats on the CZ. They hold a special place in my heart as I found my first gold with a CZ. :D

Nice choice on the 3D, I've owned 2 CZ's and they were both awesome detectors, get a 10.5 coil for it. I would also sell the Explorer 2, especially if you have an E-trac. I'd look into getting a V3i, I purchased my V3i for the same price as a VX3, it offer a DD coil, rechargeable battery system, and a whole list of additional features which come in handy such as tx boost, ground filters, etc. The accessories alone that the V3i comes with make it worth the additional $$$, however you can get grade A White's refurbished V3i's for about $1050 and that includes brand new ProStar headphones worth about $120, they are similar in build to Gray Ghost and have a lifetime warranty. The refurbished V3i models also look new, and come with a full 2 year warranty. Definitely worth looking into, Phil told me about the program when I was looking to buy a VX3, it was the best decision I've made since they're basically new detectors for a fraction of the price, most are new dealer returns, the one I received was never used, everything came sealed in plastic. Well worth the money, and an excellent machine. I believe it to be deeper than the E-trac for most targets, though I haven't had time to test them side by side yet with the weather.

I'll check into the whites refurb idea and see what is available. What do you think of the DFX? I'm trynig to keep the etrac as my number one machine and the others as a change-up for those times when I want to try something different. Not sure I want two number one machines.

I'll check into the whites refurb idea and see what is available. What do you think of the DFX? I'm trynig to keep the etrac as my number one machine and the others as a change-up for those times when I want to try something different. Not sure I want two number one machines.

Two number one machines but both serve different purposes, the E-trac is good for park hunting deep coins, especially silver while the V3i is a better all around detector, faster speed, better for relic and jewelry hunting, ability to change frequencies, etc. They compliment each other more than compete.

Two number one machines but both serve different purposes, the E-trac is good for park hunting deep coins, especially silver while the V3i is a better all around detector, faster speed, better for relic and jewelry hunting, ability to change frequencies, etc. They compliment each other more than compete.

More food for thought...you might want to send a PM to these guys...

Crumble (another Forum member) had shared similar experience in regards to his V3i. He in an experienced hunter and has/had a variety of machines. Always gives some great, unbiased feedback.

Spectra1 (another Forum member).....I was looking at purchasing the V3i myself, but then I met Spectra1 who has the V3i and a CTX. He does a lot of colonial and civil war relic hunting. He refuses to sell the V3i but as I recall, he hasn't used it in the past two years with the exception of when he sent the CTX in for a warranty item. He always shares his love of the V3i, yet the CTX is the only one he uses. So with the Etrac on a similar platform as the CTX, it makes you wonder.

More food for thought...you might want to send a PM to these guys...

Crumble (another Forum member) had shared similar experience in regards to his V3i. He in an experienced hunter and has/had a variety of machines. Always gives some great, unbiased feedback.

Spectra1 (another Forum member).....I was looking at purchasing the V3i myself, but then I met Spectra1 who has the V3i and a CTX. He does a lot of colonial and civil war relic hunting. He refuses to sell the V3i but as I recall, he hasn't used it in the past two years with the exception of when he sent the CTX in for a warranty item. He always shares his love of the V3i, yet the CTX is the only one he uses. So with the Etrac on a similar platform as the CTX, it makes you wonder.

I guess it all depends on personal preference, owning both I can say that they are very close in most aspects such as depth, disc, etc. However they are very different in tone, feel, operation... The E-trac is easy to operate, easy to get depth from, and feels lighter (to me anyway), and better design. The V3i has better tones (IMO), better display, better pinpointing, and a faster recovery. Like I said the depth seems to be the same in the ground (I plan to measure buried targets this spring), but the V3i does blow it away in air test. I'm confident they would both find the same targets, so it comes down to personal preference in the end. When I feel like a quick easy hunt, or I'm deep coin hunting in a park I'll grab the E-trac, when I want to relic hunt, or have some fun and tinker around I'll grab the V3i. I use them about the same, and switch them up fairly often, my F75 has been collecting dust though. I love the E-trac/V3i combo, they can handle any conditions or hunting. One thing I can say is after using the V3i HD display, it's tough looking at anything else. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 106
I guess because no one has commented on the DFX that the general feeling is that it would not compliment the etrac very well.

I guess because no one has commented on the DFX that the general feeling is that it would not compliment the etrac very well.

It will, the V3i is just a better, more advanced version. The DFX is good, but the V3i is deeper, better display, 3 frequencies to choose from, polar plot, DD coil stock, better rechargeable system, etc. If you can afford a V3i get that over the DFX, however that being said the DFX is still a great detector. Both will compliment the E-trac well since they are both so different than the E-trac.

Back
Top Bottom