So they announced QE3 so everyones richer

Dark Chameleon

Elite Member
Well we're richer if we have a stash of silver or gold then we were yesterday.

Ofcourse this means that the more dollars we get for our stuff are worth less but whoever took notice of reality.

Im waiting for my mortgage refi to start giving me money each month :laughing:

There's an old house in my town that had the dated sign over the front door that said 'circa 5.25%' and people thought that was cool..now every house in my town is less then that..I'm expecting some new home will become 'circa 3.25%' very soon...this does however have the effect that our savings accounts will return the sum of 0.000001% but the fees will grow by 54% in the next week if they can.

I hate swings and roundabout in tot lots and investments..you never win with them

Well we're richer if we have a stash of silver or gold then we were yesterday.

Ofcourse this means that the more dollars we get for our stuff are worth less but whoever took notice of reality.

Im waiting for my mortgage refi to start giving me money each month :laughing:

There's an old house in my town that had the dated sign over the front door that said 'circa 5.25%' and people thought that was cool..now every house in my town is less then that..I'm expecting some new home will become 'circa 3.25%' very soon...this does however have the effect that our savings accounts will return the sum of 0.000001% but the fees will grow by 54% in the next week if they can.

I hate swings and roundabout in tot lots and investments..you never win with them

DC you are one smart cookie! I'm still trying to figure out how it's 2 percent milk when we get a whole gallon of it:laughing:

This is really some scary stuff. I just read a time line that drew parallels to the great depression and it didn't look good.

I have ammo to trade if needed. :shrug:

This is really some scary stuff. I just read a time line that drew parallels to the great depression and it didn't look good.

They'll have to tax you for every shot you make..the police wont be able to shoot bank rpbbers anymore...:laughing:

So my pension went up, my gold went up and my house value went up....and if i leave the country im automatically a pauper....not the best advertising for foreign travel...oh any my gas prices went up....maybe they'll start putting slots in the gas pumps so i can pump silver eagles in for fuel :laughing:

Irony

What is ironic is that the Federal Reserve is not part of the government. It is a private powerful bank, that dictates everything monetarily . It prints money at will and has nothing to back it. Our country keeps borrowing from it , putting us into deeper debt. Like a previous poster said before me, this is a scary time.
Once confidence hits a certain low point with the public, and the dollar, our economy could take a bad turn.Start hoarding.

Scariest part is this QE is open ended, they will QE on a never ending monthly basis.

They just admitted total defeat, they will print us into a larger version of Zimbabwe and Argentina.

Sad times indeed.

What is ironic is that the Federal Reserve is not part of the government. It is a private powerful bank, that dictates everything monetarily . It prints money at will and has nothing to back it. Our country keeps borrowing from it , putting us into deeper debt. Like a previous poster said before me, this is a scary time.
Once confidence hits a certain low point with the public, and the dollar, our economy could take a bad turn.Start hoarding.

Actually, the Fed doesn't print money. That is under the purvey of the Department of the Treasury's Bureau of Printing and Engraving. What the Fed does is simply to create an entry in its Balance Sheet, or credit a bank with the money in return for the bonds it purchases from them.

The Fed is a bit unusual for a Central Bank and, except for a 6% dividend on the member bank's invested capital, the remaining profits are returned to the US Government. In 2010, the Federal Reserve made a profit of $82 billion and transferred $79 billion of that to the U.S. Treasury. This was followed at the end of 2011 with a transfer of $77 billion in profits to the U.S. Treasury Department.

There is of course a risk of inflation in doing this QE, but inflation doesn't happen unless that money starts circulating through the economy. What economists refer to as the "velocity of money". If the money doesn't move around, inflation is not affected.

Actually, the Fed doesn't print money. That is under the purvey of the Department of the Treasury's Bureau of Printing and Engraving. What the Fed does is simply to create an entry in its Balance Sheet, or credit a bank with the money in return for the bonds it purchases from them.

The Fed is a bit unusual for a Central Bank and, except for a 6% dividend on the member bank's invested capital, the remaining profits are returned to the US Government. In 2010, the Federal Reserve made a profit of $82 billion and transferred $79 billion of that to the U.S. Treasury. This was followed at the end of 2011 with a transfer of $77 billion in profits to the U.S. Treasury Department.

There is of course a risk of inflation in doing this QE, but inflation doesn't happen unless that money starts circulating through the economy. What economists refer to as the "velocity of money". If the money doesn't move around, inflation is not affected.

Good points Rudy.
You certainly understand more of this than me...
But how can the Fed manage where the money ends up? The idea of 'Sterilized QE' is bogus.
So there is no connection with 3 rounds of QE and any of the price increases consumers are seeing? i.e fuel / food/ commodities. Right.
The Fed is paying Banks for monies they are owed from Bond purchases, by "expanding their balance sheet"? Isn't this a hollow un-backed way to go about paying off debt?
At the same time holding interest rates at artificially low rates?
How is this helping the people on Main street find a job? Tough to pay a Bank loan with no, or reduced income.
The money doesn't need to circulate to have ill effects, as the quality of Goods and Services has been on a steady decline. Sure an item may cost the same as a year ago, but often the portions size has been reduced, no? Perhaps the item was formerly made of metal , an now is chrome covered plastic?
Don't call it inflation if you want, Just outright loss of purchasing power for the dollars you hold, being managed in a very subtle and effective way.

$78 billion with no gold standard simply represents a bunch of ink and linen.

Back to the gold standard NOW.

...keeping it friendly as I can. :no:g

Good points Rudy.
You certainly understand more of this than me...
But how can the Fed manage where the money ends up? The idea of 'Sterilized QE' is bogus.
So there is no connection with 3 rounds of QE and any of the price increases consumers are seeing? i.e fuel / food/ commodities. Right.
The Fed is paying Banks for monies they are owed from Bond purchases, by "expanding their balance sheet"? Isn't this a hollow un-backed way to go about paying off debt?
At the same time holding interest rates at artificially low rates?
How is this helping the people on Main street find a job? Tough to pay a Bank loan with no, or reduced income.
The money doesn't need to circulate to have ill effects, as the quality of Goods and Services has been on a steady decline. Sure an item may cost the same as a year ago, but often the portions size has been reduced, no? Perhaps the item was formerly made of metal , an now is chrome covered plastic?
Don't call it inflation if you want, Just outright loss of purchasing power for the dollars you hold, being managed in a very subtle and effective way.

Hi Grampy,

So many questions. I'll try and answer some.

"But how can the Fed manage where the money ends up?" They can't directly, but they can partially control it by requiring banks to have a certain amount of reserves on deposits. Stress testing the largest banks was a way to make this happen. Also, the Fed is hoping that some of that money winds up being invested back into the economy in the form of commercial loans, etc.

"So there is no connection with 3 rounds of QE and any of the price increases consumers are seeing? i.e fuel / food/ commodities. Right." Correct, for domestic staples, recall that we've had an awful drought. It has dramatically affected crops and livestock. Nothing to do with QE. As for fuel, two things: Speculation in oil futures continues in the commodities market. Although there has been talk about curbing speculation, it still exists and a lot of the increase has been due to speculation about the political instability of the Middle East. Also, the oil produced in the US doesn't necessarily stay here, it is a commodity sold to the highest bidder.

"At the same time holding interest rates at artificially low rates?" Not good for seniors who have traditionally invested in bonds. But great for the country. It gives us the opportunity to refinance the debt at much lower interest rates. It also lets us reinvest in the infrastructure at historically low interest rates.

"How is this helping the people on Main street find a job?" The Fed is hoping that the low interest rate and higher liquidity environment will kick start the economy and create jobs. In a real sense, the Fed is trying to fix --with monetary policy-- what the government has not been willing to address with fiscal policy.

"The money doesn't need to circulate to have ill effects, as the quality of Goods and Services has been on a steady decline." Money has to circulate for it to matter. Try this thought experiment. If you are in charge of the Treasury and you print a trillion dollars, but you lock it up in a vault and don't let anyone know it's there. Does it have an effect? Nope.

Quality is another story. I don't think the drop is due to QE, as much as a need to hold down prices.

"Perhaps the item was formerly made of metal , an now is chrome covered plastic?" Thats nothing new, been going on for years. Cars are a good example.

"Don't call it inflation if you want, Just outright loss of purchasing power for the dollars you hold, being managed in a very subtle and effective way." Our inflation rate is pretty moderate and has not shot up due to QE. To be clear, it is a danger and the Fed will have to soak up the extra liquidity before the inflation rate starts to shoot up. But this is much better than falling back into a deep recession.

Hope that helped.

Hi Grampy,

So many questions. I'll try and answer some.

"But how can the Fed manage where the money ends up?" They can't directly, but they can partially control it by requiring banks to have a certain amount of reserves on deposits. Stress testing the largest banks was a way to make this happen. Also, the Fed is hoping that some of that money winds up being invested back into the economy in the form of commercial loans, etc.

"So there is no connection with 3 rounds of QE and any of the price increases consumers are seeing? i.e fuel / food/ commodities. Right." Correct, for domestic staples, recall that we've had an awful drought. It has dramatically affected crops and livestock. Nothing to do with QE. As for fuel, two things: Speculation in oil futures continues in the commodities market. Although there has been talk about curbing speculation, it still exists and a lot of the increase has been due to speculation about the political instability of the Middle East. Also, the oil produced in the US doesn't necessarily stay here, it is a commodity sold to the highest bidder.

"At the same time holding interest rates at artificially low rates?" Not good for seniors who have traditionally invested in bonds. But great for the country. It gives us the opportunity to refinance the debt at much lower interest rates. It also lets us reinvest in the infrastructure at historically low interest rates.

"How is this helping the people on Main street find a job?" The Fed is hoping that the low interest rate and higher liquidity environment will kick start the economy and create jobs. In a real sense, the Fed is trying to fix --with monetary policy-- what the government has not been willing to address with fiscal policy.

"The money doesn't need to circulate to have ill effects, as the quality of Goods and Services has been on a steady decline." Money has to circulate for it to matter. Try this thought experiment. If you are in charge of the Treasury and you print a trillion dollars, but you lock it up in a vault and don't let anyone know it's there. Does it have an effect? Nope.

Quality is another story. I don't think the drop is due to QE, as much as a need to hold down prices.

"Perhaps the item was formerly made of metal , an now is chrome covered plastic?" Thats nothing new, been going on for years. Cars are a good example.

"Don't call it inflation if you want, Just outright loss of purchasing power for the dollars you hold, being managed in a very subtle and effective way." Our inflation rate is pretty moderate and has not shot up due to QE. To be clear, it is a danger and the Fed will have to soak up the extra liquidity before the inflation rate starts to shoot up. But this is much better than falling back into a deep recession.

Hope that helped.

Yes, that is a great response, much more than I would have expected.

I see some Large scale building continuing, or increasing in some areas. Not Like the Housing bubble spending I saw a few years back, but a more controlled focus on infrastructure investment. Example: A City not far from me has been able to obtain very low rates on building a large new Auditorium. There has been discussion about the project for 15 years. I only caught the end of the News piece about it, but the City officials were very pleased with the rates they were able to obtain.
So it does seem that persons or businesses that are on solid financial footing are benefiting from the low rates. But that seems such small fraction of the population...

Yes, that is a great response, much more than I would have expected.

So it does seem that persons or businesses that are on solid financial footing are benefiting from the low rates. But that seems such small fraction of the population...

Thanks Grampy.

There is a ripple effect though. The people working in that construction job are now employed and buying goods and services that they wouldn't have if they were out of work. So merchants are getting some business from them and so on. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom