1/23/22 Hunt with V540

mpmccann

It seems I only have time to metal detect on the weekends and then not always. So, I tried to make the best of this weekend by getting out 2 days in a row. :cool: Anyway, this is what I found today, just some more clad and some blingy things. Hope everyone stays safe and as always HH!!! Oh yeah, and that is my first nickel with the V540, finally busted that cherry! :laughing:

Attachments

• 008 Hunt 540 (2).jpg
    008 Hunt 540 (2).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 482
Keeping digging those quarters and you'll find a silver ring pretty soon. Good luck!

Well, at least you got to go out. We have a layer of that white stuff on the ground. Don't remember what it's called, but I don't like it. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Nice haul on your hunt. I didn't get as much time to hunt last summer, hoping to get out more this year. How do you two like the Vanquish line? My wife and I are considering a 440 for the beach trip in April.

Nice haul on your hunt. I didn't get as much time to hunt last summer, hoping to get out more this year. How do you two like the Vanquish line? My wife and I are considering a 440 for the beach trip in April.

I have had a great time with the Vanquish 440 since I bought it last May. The other option I considered was the Simplex+, and I chose the Vanquish because I liked the sound of the Minelab tones better based on videos I watched.

The 440 is very much a "turn on and go" detector. It is essentially a Minelab Equinox without the bells and whistles. The only adjustability you have is volume, sensitivity, and discrimination, although I have never used the discrimination feature. I use the default coin mode (highest recovery speed between targets) and run the sensitivity on the maximum setting--for maximum depth--unless there is a lot of electromagnetic interference (EMI). There is no ground balance setting, but the automatic noise cancel feature seems to work well enough. My only complaint is that the default wired headphones are not very durable (my pair eventually broke), but I guess something has to give in order to keep the price in entry-level territory. I would actually recommend the 440 over the 540 because the 10" default coil on the 440 seems to be the perfect "happy medium" size (the 540 offers a larger coil and a smaller coil). The 440 should perform well on the beach, but if you plan on going into the water, you should get the Simplex+ or something else because the Vanquish control box is not waterproof.

Nickels do seem a little hard to come by.I don't think there are a lot of them out there. However, in December I found 8 of them in one day with my 540!

I am enjoying my 540 very much. I wanted the 540 Pro-pack because I wanted the smaller 8" coil because most of my hunting is in parks with lots of trash. I would only ever put on the 12" coil for large fields with less trash or maybe beach hunts. I wouldn't mind having the 10" coil one day just to have the trifecta 8", 10", 12". I looked hard at the Simplex+ too, but I wanted to see what all this multi frequency fuss was about, so I chose the Vanquish. Now I can't wait to see what the Legend will bring to the table. I'll probably upgrade to that and hand down my V540 to the wife.

I have a 540 as a backup and it works very well. I suggest you forget about the Legend and get the proven Equinox 600 for less money.

Steve

It seems I only have time to metal detect on the weekends and then not always. So, I tried to make the best of this weekend by getting out 2 days in a row. :cool: Anyway, this is what I found today, just some more clad and some blingy things. Hope everyone stays safe and as always HH!!! Oh yeah, and that is my first nickel with the V540, finally busted that cherry! :laughing:

Im in the same boat, weekends unless I have time off.
Either way, getting out is what counts and eventually you will find the good stuff. :clapping:

It looks like you had a good hunt. Glad you are still able to get out.

Thanks, It is getting harder to get up and down like I used to. I love finding the good stuff but It is really more about the exercise now. I suffered a heart attack at 47 still kicking at 52 but I don't have the stamina I used to. Life is funny, when I got started in the hobby I was still in Highschool. I always felt like I didn't fit in with all the elders. Now I am an elder myself I wish I had that young body again. :laughing:

I hear you on very little time to get out - weekends if that. Also I'm running out of "close by" places to go or get excited about, which makes it tougher. That's a nice hunt!

Back
Top Bottom