Winter gloves for digging?

seagullplayer

So you fellers that dig all year in the north.

What's your best advise on what glove to dig in?

We had a bit of fair weather last week, but the ground didn't warm up or dry out much...

I bought these on a whim while in a Harbor Freight a couple years ago:

https://www.harborfreight.com/touchscreen-compatible-cold-weather-work-gloves-large-64364.html

They had a good feel when I tried them on, so I figured I’d give them a shot for cold weather digging. Being from Harbor Freight, I didn’t really expect much in terms of durability or quality. Imagine my surprise to still be using the same pair going into my 3rd winter season!

I don’t hunt a ton in winter, but they’ve held up very well - they’ve already exceeded my expectations for lifespan. I don’t go out when it’s super cold…upper 20s or lower 30s is about my limit assuming the ground isn’t frozen yet. But my area of NW Ohio is flat and basically treeless…the wind and wind chill can be brutal. These gloves do a great job keeping my hands warm while also offering good protection against any sharps I might encounter while digging. My only complaint is they are naturally bulkier than my usually digging gloves, so sometimes it can be awkward trying to pluck a coin out of a hole.

In my old age, I'm a fair weather hunter.....Too cold for me right now....plus got about 6 inches of snow here last night...

Brought a pair of those this afternoon from Harbor Freight, hunting in the morning. Suppose to be 21 degrees. HH Jerry

THX, I am familiar with the HF ones. I have a pair like them from Walmart.

I have some dipped gloves for mud, but not insulated, I'll need to look into that.

I use waterproofed gloves designed for industrial cold store use...My current favourites are these :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiDry-Ze...xidry+zero+thermal&qid=1642959178&sr=8-1&th=1

They are fleece lined and fully coated/waterproof up to the cuff. Most dipped gloves are not coated on the back and your hands soon get damp and cold, but not so these...One of my best buys and not silly expensive like goretex style gloves...

I wear a pair of Mechanix "Impact" tactical work gloves year around. I think they hold up great. I can't say they are extra warm, but I hunted in them last week and it was 17 degrees when we started and it never got above freezing all day. The coldest weather I ever detected in.

Back
Top Bottom