"Reading the Forested Landscape" video series

Chroma

Elite Member
I have been enjoying watching a three-part video series on YouTube produced by the New England Forests channel. The series is not about metal detecting specifically, but it teaches "forest forensics"--using clues in the forest landscape to understand past land use and weather events. There is some interesting info about stone walls in the first video. Anyways, I thought this would be of interest, especially to our New Englander friends. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zcLQz-oR6sw&list=PL-cKOnYB94s4rDvYLB-AbYdSYVzycHe12&index=1

First 3 minutes captured my attention.

I see these stone walls in New York but never thought much about them.
Will watch all 3 parts later.

Thanks for sharing

How contemporaneous: I was just in Vermont last month and noted all the old stone walls. I had assumed they used the stones since they are plentiful in glacial soils. I wonder if the the sheep thing had taken place after the railroads came in if they just would have imported timber from the midwest and west? An interesting legacy nonetheless.

thanks for posting!
JP

There are a lot of old stone walls in northern PA because......there are a lot of stones but, there is also a lot of timber so not sure I buy the story. Stones last longer than wood. Still, it was interesting.

Steve

There are a lot of old stone walls in northern PA because......there are a lot of stones but, there is also a lot of timber so not sure I buy the story. Stones last longer than wood. Still, it was interesting.

Steve

Yes, I'm sure the stone walls were built for different reasons. The video says that the explanation they give applies to central New England, which they define as northern MA, most of VT and NH, and southern ME. So the stones walls in northern PA could have an entirely different origin.

I can't speak to the timber situation of PA at the time the area was settled. There's a good chance the area was timber-sparse due to its proximity to the large cities along the eastern seaboard. Timber companies most likely came in, clearcut the timber resources, and settlers flowed into this newly opened landscape. Also, early farmers were probably not well off, and stone fencing was probably the most economical solution save for the time and labor involved. If you had a bunch of kids, as many farm families did, it was pretty easy to send them out to collect stones. I'm in the Driftless Area (unglaciated) of Wisconsin, and I generally never see stone walls. I do occasionally find concrete fence posts, as that was likely the most economical approach to fencing. Historically, it was mostly open prairie and savanna, so what limited building supplies were available went into the house and the barn.

It's interesting to note that the area east of the Mississippi River is more forested than at any point since European settlement. As an ecologist I am always studying land changes over time, and those changes seem to have accelerated in the 1970's. The absence of fire, both natural and anthropogenic, combined with the explosion of industrial agriculture have made profound and almost unbelievable changes to the landscape. It's what make restoration ecology a real pain; restore back to what?

JP

Tom Wessels is great. I emailed him a question once or twice and he responded to me his thoughts. I have read two or three of his books and even bought a couple extra to give some of my favorite landowners that I thought would appreciate his insight...

Back
Top Bottom