Question: Who has a detector they DO NOT like???

yardhunter

Hopefully this will be a neat thread.
I've been at this hobby for 30+ years. I know we all make mistakes, I would like to know who has a detector they are not happy with for whatever reason???
What brand, and why not....I always read how happy everyone is with what they are currently using, but there must be a few that are not.

So, what type have you owned ( at any time you've been detecting ) you didn't like?

I'll start:

1. 1983 Bounty Hunter RB-10. Too heavy & coils kept cracking on me. Finally sold it.

2. 1983 White's 5900 DI..Breadbox detector. Heavy & wouldn't detect a buried car hood 2" deep, didn't like it.

3. 1987-88. Water detector called the "Turtle". Lightweight small control box & a great concept for the 1980's...but leaked often. Traded for a Fisher 1280X.

4. White's XLT. Heavy. Too many menus to scroll thru to set up.

5. Ace 250. Slow separation in disc & tones are hard to decipher. Bongs drove me crazy. It's OK for tot lots.

6. Deleon. Everything chimed in as 95 even the deep iron. Got tired of digging those deep iron targets. Sold it.

7. Cortes - It's OK, not much depth, small icons hard to read, overpriced.

8. Compass Coinscanner Pro. ( after the fire model ) read all the reviews & purchased one. Huge mistake. Fisher F-2's had better depth & TID.

9. Never had one but seen one in action....Ebay China models --- junk --- nothing else to say about those.

Still have my 1st detector a White's 6DB. It was a breadbox detector, heavy & used 14 AA batteries. Couldn't afford another one back in 1980....so....got use to it. Found 1000's of coins with it & still get it out occasionally to show friends how it works. It's still hanging on the wall at home ( below)

ry%3D480

Like the F2, great coin machine, light - swing it all day long, excellent disc, fast recovery, lacks G/B.
Love CZ3D. Picks up IH, 3 cent pieces, nickels & some gold coins in high tone.
Tigershark...it's dangerous in fresh water. Never leaked, finds gold extremely well.

Obviously these are my thoughts. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyone else care to respond about their detector regrets ? ?

Thanks for any replies............see ya yardhunter

I used and Ace 250 for a couple of years and still think its a great machine.
I got the urge to upgrade so I checked out all the reviews and tried the GTi 2500 It found nothing the ace did not find and it weighed a lot more. The target size function was ok but not needed. I took it back after a weekend of playing. Luckily i had rented it only.
I settled on an AT pro as it looks and feesl much like the 250. I however hate the fact it will find a dime at 12 inches. Digging them up in tot lot mulch is fine but chipping down through 12 inches of frozen ground to get a dime is a little hard on the hands..

Wow! 14AA batteries? That is unreal! I take it you used the rechargable type?

Off today and its pouring down and I dont do getting wet anymore so here are my thoughts.

Ones Ive owned and got rid of.

Prizm ll-Reasonable depth but poor in mineralization and response time.

CZ5-Way too much iron and way too heavy.Good depth though.

X terra 50-As slow as they come and no good whatsoever for our heavily used ploughed fields.Ok depth and accuracy for non trashy areas.

Fisher F4-Only bad thing I can say about this was the battery life.About 16 hrs only.Other than that,fast response,good disc accurate pp,a decent little machine.

Fisher F5-Too complicated with its gain/threshold combination and more jumpy than F4 unless well turned down and not much better performance either.

Sovereign Elite-Best iron disc Ive seen and possibly the deepest Ive used.Not good on loose ploughed soil though and heavy.

Musketeer advantage-Same as Elite but not as deep.

Ace 250-I rather liked that bell tone as it signalled a good target and it was reasonable with depth as I had a large coil on it but again not much use on our ploughed fields.

Ones I still have.

Whites M6-What I love about this is I dont dig coke.It always registers 0 foil.Well balanced so doesnt feel too heavy.Not that keen on the tone ID.Seems a bit deeper in normal search and has good ppointing.Good solid and sensitive machine.

XP Goldmaxx-The most sensitive Ive used,excellent target separation,will find a hammered in a rust bucket :D but not the deepest and loves coke.Really is no way of telling coke as however you approach it its always a solid middle tone.Thats the real downside to anotherwise excellent machine.

Cscope cs3mx-i-Ive found a mod.on a uk site to increase depth on this.So easy even I could do it.Great sensitive little machine for the money.

Xp ADX 250-If I could only keep one machine its this one.Very deep and even at 4khz still finds small objects on the surface even though its best at larger coins at depth.Very simple to use with excellent battery life and super deep with the 15x12 coil.

Wow! 14AA batteries? That is unreal! I take it you used the rechargable type?

Yep...one pack held 8 batteries & the other one held 6.

I took it off the wall for a pic to show you what I used 25+ years ago. Check it out below. The 8 pack is on the left & the 6 pack is to the right.

ry%3D480

This baby still works...IF....you can afford the batteries..LOL
Looking back, I didn't care for the breadbox detector housing, but, one has to remember--that was all we had available back then & the customer didn't know any different. It was accepted as normal.
I hunted about 30+ hours a week back then & I was replacing batteries weekly.

Never used rechargeables.
I can't remember if they were even available in 1980-83 era.

Great comments, anyone else like to share their "regrets?"

Thanks...........see ya yardhunter

I bought an Ace 150 while on vacation in Oregon. I personally feel that I threw $154 in the garbage. I dug eight nails with it and put it away. Will probably Ebay it.

Never used rechargeables.
I can't remember if they were even available in 1980-83 era.

My old Tek came with them...all 14. That's what turned me against rechargeables. They would go dead all at once a long way from my car. (I didn't carry 14 spares with me.) The regular AA's would taper off so I had some warning and they lasted several months of heavy hunting.

Nope...not possible!

Because I read these forums, read the stories and follow the advice given. I've got an ACE 250 which has surpassed expectations and I still use 4 to 5 times a week and a Vaquero (paid for by the ACE) which I use on weekends for relic hunting....that machine is sweeeeeeet!

Back
Top Bottom