Gold Finder - Ace 250 or Fisher F2

F-I-X

Hey I'm new to the hobby, well kinda, I had a radio shack detector back about 10 years ago and found a few coins but when I was on the beach one day I put my wedding band in the sand and tried to find it, but I couldn't , I almost lost it so I threw the detector in the basement and my wife sold it in a yard sale a few years later but i'm now looking at buying a new one. I live in Canada so I'm looking at getting the new Fisher F2 or the Ace 250, which is better for finding gold ? or are they both equal? I have been reading forums a lot lately but no one really says which is better for gold. Any help would be appreciated.:grin:

No, the detectors you mention may find gold jewelry, but for gold nuggets you need a prospecting machine with a higher frequency like a Gold Bug, or Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack or a White's MXT.......maybe even an AT-Pro. Most gold is found in small nuggets, thus the need for a higher frequency. 14 kHz or higher works in my area.

Dusty

oh ok well im just starting out and my wife thinks i'm nuts getting another detector so i guess will go for jewelry, so any idea which one find gold jewelry better ?

Those are two very popular machines.....you're gonna get a gillion opinions!!!! (Either one is OK) A Tesoro Compadre will find gold jewelry as well and is cheaper and has a lifetime warranty.......

Dusty

Well, the Tesoro has the highest frequency, so you can rule that one out. F2-5.9 kHz, Ace 250, - 6.5 kHz.........you decide and remember you can add different coils......

Dusty

gold detecting

My ace 250 probably goes about 8 inches max.(depends on the size of the metal object) Bigger=deeper. I have found gold jewelry with mine at less than 3 inches.

My ace 250 probably goes about 8 inches

My F2 is the same...I have found dimes with a good solid signal at 7 1/2 to 8 inches.

I have found gold jewelry with mine at less than 3 inches.

I have not found any gold with my F2 yet, (This is my backup detector), but in air testing, very small gold rings ring solid to about 3-4 inches, a much larger ring an inch or so more.

Most tot lot gold should be in this range.

F2 is really easy to use and has faster recovery time than the ace 250. I really like my f2...

Fisher F2 is the better of the machine in my eyes, for general hunting. Its like a laser guided machine gun pinpointing targets. Separation is amazing. It has a slightly lower frequency, which means it should go deeper than the 250 BUT may not be as good at hitting gold or tiny targets. But neither really should be used for solely gold.

Look at the fisher gold bug.

love my Tesoro

Another vote for the Tesoro. I have the silver uMax and have found my fair share of gold to include earrings bracelets and chains. Of course rings as well. Love this machine. Gotta learn it. Once you do the fun really begins. Lol. Probably can't go wrong with any of those though. Keep listening to folks here. They really know their stuff and have helped me big time. Enjoy.

I can't tell you which machine is better, but I can tell you about the Ace 250. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and I love it. I am 68, extremely hard of hearing, bad back and knees and don't get out much, yet despite that, I have found over $625. just in quarters. Even though I haven't counted the other coins, I have half a large coffee can of dimes, 1/3 can of nickles, two full cans of just the '82 and newer pennies, almost a full can of '81 and older copper pennies, 4 womens and 2 mens gold rings, several sterling silver rings, (I lost track of how many because I've given several away to friends), and a big box of toys. (when nobody's looking I've even gotten down and played with a few of them, but lets keep that our secret). I have no doubt the f2 would have found all those things also, but I can only talk about the detector I use. If you get the 12" coil, or the 11" DD coil, you will add at least 2" to your depth.
lobo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom