Confused DXF

Doctor Sunshine

I've been using the Whites DFX for almost 10 years and I've not found 1 thing of value, only clad. I don't use it a lot because I've gotten so discouraged. One year I didn't use it at all. I use it about 20 times per year usually. I just keep finding junk - bottle caps, nails, foil and scrap metal; as well as a lot of clad. I live in an area where there is a lot lot lot of revolutionary war history and French and indian war history. I mean I've not even found 1 piece of silver let alone anything gold. What is it? Me or the detector??? I have tried tons of locations. Is there any advice out there for me??

One thing people will tell you is that you need to adjust the settings on the machine and not stick to the default settings that your detector came with.

I hunt with mine using the factory settings all the time and have found rings(gold & silver)clad and older coins made of silver.Are you going slow and taking your time?Swinging the DFX fast and walkiing fast doesn't give the circuitry time to see a target.If you are wanting to find gold dig everything that reads as the gold rings I have found came in from +08 thru +64.I have dug hundreds of dollars in clad.Just do research on the places you want to hunt just because there was activity in your area doesn't mean every square inch of it.There were two major revolutionary battles fought within 10 miles of my house and I have never found anything from that time period.If I got closer to the battlefields I know I would.The DFX is a good machine you can tweak it or just turn it on and go.Good Luck Ken

Advice

I see this is your 1st post,i would try reading your manual 1st,to refresh your memory of the Detector,# 2 as someone else sad go with the factory settings till you get used to the DFX.It is a good machine,my friend does good with it.#3 do so research,go to places with age & history that others have not been,#4 If you put enough time into it,it will pay off,the DFX has a great ID system,make sure you dig when it shows a coin,note bottle caps and pull tabs you will dig 90% of the time anyway,part of the JOB,hope this helped you good luck

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I have tried all those things. I just took it to the guy who sold it to me and he programed in the program he uses (and he finds more stuff than anyone ever!), and it seemed to work at his place and now that I just got it home it is making all kinds of crazy noises and it won't stop. Squeeks and squeels and all sorts of numbers are showing up on the display. Even if I hold it in the air! Now what is wrong with this thing? Did I get a lemon? The other day I used it for a couple of hours and didn't find anything but nails so I threw my huge 14k gold chain on the ground and ran the DFX over it and it didn't make ay noise! I tried all the different settings; coins, coins and jewelry, relic, etc. It did at one point give a weak broken up signal that sounded like it would have been trash. And yes I had fully charged batteries! Does anyone know what is going on with this thing? I really want to like it and believe all the good stories about it but right now I hate this DFX!

Do you have overhead or underground powerlines in the vicinity of where it is acting up?Sounds like you are getting emi interference.As for the gold chain I think a metal detector sees them as one link instead of the whole object.Find a place in an open field turn the DFX on select program ground balance and then ground balance a second time as you get used to the unit start changing the settings to up the sensitivity of the DFX you will find stuff just be patient.Ken

seemed to work at his place and now that I just got it home it is making all kinds of crazy noises and it won't stop. Squeeks and squeels and all sorts of numbers are showing up on the display. Even if I hold it in the air! Now what is wrong with this thing? Did I get a lemon?

Sounds like a classic case of EMI(electromagnetic interference). I have the same problem at my house. Take it out to another site and if it quits you have your answer. You may not like the answer, but there you have it.

If you find clad then your DFX is probably working just fine you're just not getting your coil over anything of value. Having a good detector is just part of being successful. You see these guys finding loads of good stuff with even cheap detectors? It's because they are getting their coils over the goods and nothing else. Just because you have a good detector doesn't guarantee you'll find good stuff. It takes some work to find the locations that should produce good stuff that no one else has already cleaned out. May sound simply but it may not be depending on your location. Do you see others out hunting or signs that others are hunting?

I can't imagine hunting 10 years without finding something of value. Heck you should be able to do that without a metal detector just by eyeballing if you go to the right places.

its you.......

looking for silver why are you pulling junk, why. DICRIMINATE, hello any and all silver jew, or coins hit above +78 and anything below isnt really worth a hill of Sh**. Gold is an aquired taste, one must know the machine and how to set apart tabs and foil from the gold spectrum. My last gold came up as +26+27 VDI with all the tabs comming up at +27, disc out +27 hello dig everything else, bang 6.6 grams thank you. read the instructions you wont understand them, watch the video its spoken in a forign lang, however get together after both with someone who can show you the manual interpret the video for you and what do you know:?::?::shock::shock:. Light dawn on marble head....

Plus after 10 years of finding nothing I would think you would have asked by now I mean after being lost for 2 minutes I now stop and ask for directions to darn old to be wasting the better part of my life driving around chasing my tail.....

Maybe speaking of chasing my tail it may be the detector care to sell it, I'll send out $200 right now and have it sent in to Whites for service I mean if your not finding or not using its a towle holder, for $200 you could get something much better for that...........

Go out into your yard and plant a few good targets a few inches into the ground and see if your detector pics them up.If not try some adjustments.If you still don't pick up any targets either go to your local dealer and have them check it out or send it in to have it checked out.I heard of this happening where the detector worked in the store but not in the field and it was a bad coil.Good Luck!!

I agree with the EMI statements. I have that problem around my house.... everytime I hit a park I'm looking to see if there are any High Voltage lines over head....I'll skip if there are...

It's either that or.....you coated your coil with metalic bedliner like someone (who will remain anonymous) did on this forum... (:wink:) :lol:

<D>

its you.......

care to sell it, I'll send out $200 right now and have it sent in to Whites for service I mean if your not finding or not using its a towle holder, for $200 you could get something much better for that...........

I'll offer $300 if you're giving up. :yes:

come on it was just sarcasim but now that you mention it I would go $350:p

Dr. Sunshine was looking for help not offers.If you don't have any advice that could help him I see no reason to post other than to add to your post count.When I first joined this site it was really a friendly place granted I have read way more than I post but I learned from people that had been there and done that but now it seems that people are geared more toward ridicule than helping with someones questions.I love metal detecting I have almost 3 years expeirence(sp) with the Whites DFX and am always happy to help anyone with questions about this machine,I'm not going to ridicule him by trying to buy his machine when he is having problems.I think everyone should remember back to the time when they started this great hobby and were looking for any tips they could get to improve there metal detecting expeirence(sp).Ken

Dr. Sunshine was looking for help not offers.If you don't have any advice that could help him I see no reason to post other than to add to your post count.When I first joined this site it was really a friendly place granted I have read way more than I post but I learned from people that had been there and done that but now it seems that people are geared more toward ridicule than helping with someones questions.I love metal detecting I have almost 3 years expeirence(sp) with the Whites DFX and am always happy to help anyone with questions about this machine,I'm not going to ridicule him by trying to buy his machine when he is having problems.I think everyone should remember back to the time when they started this great hobby and were looking for any tips they could get to improve there metal detecting expeirence(sp).Ken

Your right, thanks....

After 10 years this is not a question for anyone here its a question direct to whites, really.... Wouldnt you think???? I had issues with power lines with my XLT never my DFX, train next to a beach everyone with XLT's had to shut them off the DFX users kept hunting......

Whites service centers.
(1) west coast 541-367-6121
(2) midwest 800-392-3223
(3) eastcoast 888-645-0202

jcham,

When I got into metal detecting my Dad also wanted one I bought 2 White's Prizm IV metal detectors my Dad went a couple of times and then lost interest when it got too hot.He will go with me in the spring every year for a few days and then loses interest.He has had that detector for 4 years and I bet he does not have 20 hours of use on it.Dr.Sunshine may be the same way he may have had it for ten years but only puuts a few hours of time a year into metal detecting.It took me alot of hours metal detecting to figure out what my DFX was telling me.Most people on this website are enthusiastic(fanatics:D) about the hobby but some that visit are occasional users.I just want to help when I can and remember the long hours it took to get me to where I am qualified to give advice.Ken

jcham,

When I got into metal detecting my Dad also wanted one I bought 2 White's Prizm IV metal detectors my Dad went a couple of times and then lost interest when it got too hot.He will go with me in the spring every year for a few days and then loses interest.He has had that detector for 4 years and I bet he does not have 20 hours of use on it.Dr.Sunshine may be the same way he may have had it for ten years but only puuts a few hours of time a year into metal detecting.It took me alot of hours metal detecting to figure out what my DFX was telling me.Most people on this website are enthusiastic(fanatics:D) about the hobby but some that visit are occasional users.I just want to help when I can and remember the long hours it took to get me to where I am qualified to give advice.Ken

Ya your right I hunted for years full time based on personal stuff. I dont care I'm trying to be helpful and not doing so well at it, people buy junk let them its none of my business. I was given a lot of bad info by a lot of people in the hobby when I came in, it really was my only means of support. I was hunting digging everything and finding very little of what I needed and people just said dig in the +70 range you'll find gold 6 million pennies and many days with out gas in the car I figured out they were full of ****, now I dont want that to happen to others but screw it, let them stuggle with pennies and trash I did why not them.......thanks..

i agree with the test garden idea and bury a couple silver coins and see if that helps ya. if your finding clad then you should be also finding silver if your coil is gettin over them. maybe its just your hunting areas and ya need to find some older private property homes that haven't been hit. if it seems very chatty maybe reset the detector or give white a call.

Back
Top Bottom