How many love there Sovereign machines?

sovereigns

I was a minelab dealer in Wi in the mid 90's .The sovereign xs I had was awesome. On the lake michigan shore, in the damp sand about 15' from the waters edge, with disc as low as it could go, and sensitivity as hi as I could get away with, I could detect clad dimes at a measured 18" . They were just a tiny blip on the threshhold. I would have to dig 8" of sand out, then rescan and could then pick up a mid or hi tone. Then I would keep digging. Farther away from the water, in the drier sand, The depths were closer to 12". in the black dirt , in the parks, depths were about 8" on coins. That particular machine was a hot one. I sold a sov xs 2 to my cousin, and he could not get nearly the depths I was getting with mine. I wish I had never sold that machine. It was a beast. Maybe the coinsearch coil had something to do with the depths. I tried a x12 sunray coil at the beach, and I could not get the depth on coins like I could with that 8" coil.

I love mine, but in all fairness the only other machines I have to compare it to are a Tracker IV and Discovery 2200.

Count me in.
I have the first model "The Sovereign"
Just as good as the newer ones but with no extra novelty switches.
I think theres about 7/8 Sovereign models...They got it RIGHT first time.

I still have the first model Sovereign and it still works great.I just found a 1917 dog tag still attached to the iron buckle. It gave a tone and null but it gave a tone every time.When I switched to pin point I could hear two different signals so I dug it and found it about 8" down. I would like to know if the new GT is any better. Anyone ever do a comparison?

I just sold an XS-2A. I still have a GT and a beat up Elite. I never actually compared targets with them. But I never really worried about which one I was swinging as far as finding targets. I never play around with the target mask. I just leave it on. I never use silent search. The Sovereign is all about the threshold in my opinion. I hunt in discrimination with the sensitivity as high as possible. The end. And all models do it well. The only bad thing about owning an older Sovereign is finding a new rechargeable battery for it. Minelab killed the meter. Minelab raised the price on the GT twice in the last year. Older Sovereigns are great.

I have a GT and love it. I am in the process of learning it, but can already see how capable a machine it is.

I just sold an XS-2A. I still have a GT and a beat up Elite. I never actually compared targets with them. But I never really worried about which one I was swinging as far as finding targets. I never play around with the target mask. I just leave it on. I never use silent search. The Sovereign is all about the threshold in my opinion. I hunt in discrimination with the sensitivity as high as possible. The end. And all models do it well. The only bad thing about owning an older Sovereign is finding a new rechargeable battery for it. Minelab killed the meter. Minelab raised the price on the GT twice in the last year. Older Sovereigns are great.

I had two new rechargeable battery packs made for mine.They work just as good as the old ones but next time I will make it myself. The guy that made mine just soldered the old plug and wire to the new batteries and the wires really should have been replaced. I ended up opening the pack and replacing both wires and discovered a cold solder joint on one of the wires but now it works fine. I still have the original bar graph meter on mine and when it lands on nickel it's almost always a nickel and if the bar goes to the very end it's either a coin or a big screw cap. I use the bar graph on a beach by me and scan through the worse parts that have thousands of pull tabs and only dig when the bar graph is pinned to the end or on nickel. I always come up with a few silver coins hunting that way. One time I found a Mercury dime,a buffalo nickel and a big 14K ring in the same hole that way. :yes: I have a Sunray digital meter but I don't like having to remember numbers and I think it ran the batteries down faster. I would like to do a comparison of the old and new Sovereigns and see which is better.

Back
Top Bottom