Ok so it's time to try this out....

Wow thats a good amount of replies...Ok so I looked at the ace 250 :) nice!... then I was playing around on craigslist and found an ace 150 for $50..... would that work for my daughter ? I saw a bounty hunter at kmart, would that be better ? (about $90) sorry I don't remeber the model...Tater... When the time gets closer, if you don't mind, I'd like to bug you with some basic questions... seeing as how u live "close". Thanks again.

The Ace 150 is my first detector and I'm very happy with it, although I did get a pinpointer so as to not make craters when I dig a target.

If the ace150 is still there hop on it. Even if she doesnt like it you can make some money on it. Any queations you have just ask! I do have several sites to hunt if you are interested but only if you like OLD coins

Buy your daughter a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, lists for around $150 but you can get it on fleabay for less than $100 shipped. Its a coin magnet once you learn how to use it! Check my totals below for 2 months!

Read, read, read! everything you can in this forum, and watch some U-tube videos on metal detecting...there are some good ones and some bum ones, but watch a lot of them. If you find some on basics, watch them!

Then scope out the area you live, starting with your yard and then outward in an ever enlarging circle! City Parks, School yards, church play grounds.

Hunt the school yards after school, not during! :lol:

Hunt the Parks early in the mornings or late in the evenings.

Hunt the church playgrounds any day but Sunday!

Concerning playgrounds, you will soon learn where the concentration of coins are, but that they also may be scattered about anywhere!

I only own one MD presently, but I will say I have heard very good reports on the ACE 250 and 350 mentioned elsewhere in this string.

The BH Tracker IV is basically a turn on and go detector. I like to keep it simple and have now figured out how to discriminate most iron and poptabs so I do not dig them anymore. If I go to a new type of place, I run full metal, but if I go to any of the places I mentioned above, I run for coins only. Saves a lot of digging and speeds my recovery time!

Welcome to the great escape called Metal Detecting..ok..the great addiciton..cuz it is! Glad to hear your daughter may be joining you as well. I started back into it after 18 yrs and the girlfriend wanted to join as well (note: todat has not is waiting for warmer weather LOL) and I went with a Garrett ACE 250 and a Fisher F2. Bought the $215 F2 package with the extra coil and fpoint pinpointer, which I have grown to appreciate even though it is not the greatest..it helps tremendously. The Ace 150 for $50 is a great deal you may consider it for the daughter. It does not have a pin point feature but can be learned around I only use the pin point feature about 50% of the time or less anyway.

As has been mentioned there are higher end machines as well if you think your going to be involved more but if you read the forums you will see some great finds by lots of MD'ers with their F2's and 250's, both considered starter type machines.

Most importantly no matter how you go..have fun. This is the most relaxing hobby I have found and enjoy it even if I only dig a few pennies.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

:D

Back
Top Bottom