Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Supporter

Default NOX new 6" Coil--3rd Day--First Silver

Today was the third day that I used the new 6" coil. I went to an older baseball field. I had been to this field on several past occasions and thought it was cleaned out. But I been challenging myself just to see how this new coil performs in another very trashy pull tab infested location.

Well, again I found more coins than I was expecting. At times it felt like taking candy from a baby the way targets were being unmasked and found. Again, this new small coil got the job done. In fact, I found my first new coil silver a Mercury 1942 dime with it today. The dime was about 3" down surrounded by junk. It was right in front of the metal bleachers, like the area most guys would detect first. I know I have detected this exact area in the past too. I was using P2, 50T, 6R settings.

Overall, a good day. Found about $10.00 in coins including three worn out wheaties and an old bus token. Just in the three days with this new coil I found about $40 in coinage.
Attached Images

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 Y/E Clad: $616.38: 2018 Y/E: TBA

Coin record amounts found on one of various days: Quarters-113; Dimes-86; Nickels-53

Last edited by JAK; 08-14-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Supporter

Smile

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Today was the third day that I used the new 6" coil. I went to an older baseball field. I had been to this field on several past occasions and thought it was cleaned out. But I been challenging myself just to see how this new coil performs in another very trashy pull tab infested location.

Well, again I found more coins than I was expecting. At times it felt like taking candy from a baby the way targets were being unmasked and found. Again, this new small coil got the job done. In fact, I found my first new coil silver a Mercury 1942 dime with it today. The dime was about 3" down surrounded by junk. It was right in front of the metal bleachers, like the area most guys would detect first. I knew I have detected this exact area in the past too. I was using P2, 50T, 6R settings.

Overall, a good day. Found about $10.00 in coins including three worn out wheaties and an old bus token. Just in the three days with this new coil I found about $40 in coinage.
WOW, you're killing it with that new 6" coil. I can't wait to get mine and go over some of my better sites. I put my Nox 800 together today and programed it for five sections and 5 tones. I set mine up just like the video for coin shooting. How are you running your machine with the 6" coil ? I'll have to try your settings when I get the 6" coil. Still getting lots of rain so I need several days to dry out. Hope to hunt by Friday.
GL and keep on finding goodies with your new coil.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

You found 10 bucks in clad in a beat to death site???? Iím lucky to find 10 cent in my beat up places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YTD 2018 (279)Wheats (19)IHP (1)FE (1)Matron Head LC (8)V Nickel (9)Buffs (7)War Nickels (44)Silver coins (6)Silver jewelry (1)Gold, Oldest Coin Ch'ien (Qing) Lung T'ung Pao (1736 - 1796), Bao Yuan mint.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
You found 10 bucks in clad in a beat to death site???? Iím lucky to find 10 cent in my beat up places

Yah...if thereís that much clad left it ainít ďhunted outĒ....maybe itís been ďhunted before to the best of the collective hunters abilitiesĒ but itís clearly not done. When you walk into a site and swing for 2 hours with NO high conductor signals at ANY depth...thatís ďheavily huntedĒ but STILL likely not hunted out.
At any rate...thatís a lot of digging! Being able to eek one more out no matter the situation is always a victory.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

Congrats JAK on the Merc and all the success your having with the new coil. Trapper

Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Elite Member

Nice job Jak! Thanks for the report

(3)Gold jewelry ($54.04)Clad

Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Supporter

Very nice!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM
Supporter

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
WOW, you're killing it with that new 6" coil. I can't wait to get mine and go over some of my better sites. I put my Nox 800 together today and programed it for five sections and 5 tones. I set mine up just like the video for coin shooting. How are you running your machine with the 6" coil ? I'll have to try your settings when I get the 6" coil. Still getting lots of rain so I need several days to dry out. Hope to hunt by Friday.
GL and keep on finding goodies with your new coil.
Thanks bubbaron! I have had small sniper coils before on other machines and they all seem to the job. But I have to say, its been like the same results at these last three places I been too. For really trashy areas I use 5 tones either in Park 1 or 2. I leave my sections tones as they are factory presets. With this rain it sure helped with the halo of the coins and made the dirt a whole lot easier to dig in. Good luck with your new 800, I have no complaints with mine.

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post

It surprised me too especially with the silver dime and the location of it. But I am not complaining.

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Yah...if thereís that much clad left it ainít ďhunted outĒ....maybe itís been ďhunted before to the best of the collective hunters abilitiesĒ but itís clearly not done. When you walk into a site and swing for 2 hours with NO high conductor signals at ANY depth...thatís ďheavily huntedĒ but STILL likely not hunted out.
At any rate...thatís a lot of digging! Being able to eek one more out no matter the situation is always a victory.
Thanks IDXMonster! I agree. This site like the others lack finding silver, but weeding through all the junk paid off today. Half of it was that I just put the coil in the right place at the right time.

Originally Posted by jack&jill View post
Congrats JAK on the Merc and all the success your having with the new coil. Trapper
Thanks Trapper! Everyday become a new adventure and some finds to go with it.

Originally Posted by WyoTom View post
Nice job Jak! Thanks for the report
Thanks WyoTom! The NOX and the new coil have been a good match for each other and me.

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
Very nice!
Thanks calabash digger! Each day I push myself to detect smarter and find more.

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 Y/E Clad: $616.38: 2018 Y/E: TBA

Coin record amounts found on one of various days: Quarters-113; Dimes-86; Nickels-53

Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Supporter

Nice job sniping that silver with the 6Ē coil!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Nice job,thatís alot of missed targets..Congrats on the new coil and the silver,,,,I am looking at another nox grant I can get my hands on one of those smaller coils.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Supporter

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Nice job sniping that silver with the 6Ē coil!

Thanks Rattlehead! I think I will be keeping it on the detector for a while. It is so much fun to use.

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Nice job,thatís alot of missed targets..Congrats on the new coil and the silver,,,,I am looking at another nox grant I can get my hands on one of those smaller coils.
Thanks woodbutcher! I thought so too about the missed targets, especial the dime. It was like in the most obvious and probably most searched area. Good luck with your coil search too.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

Nice report and finds.

I put my stock coil on Nox yesterday after having small coil on for weeks.
Big difference.

I love the small coil on the Nox.

Jak,
Go back to the site and run single freq 5 kHz fast speed and see what jumps out.
You may be surprised.
And when you check some of the targets using multi freq, you may be surprised again.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Supporter

Default Additional comments

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Nice report and finds.

I put my stock coil on Nox yesterday after having small coil on for weeks.
Big difference.

I love the small coil on the Nox.

Jak,
Go back to the site and run single freq 5 kHz fast speed and see what jumps out.
You may be surprised.
And when you check some of the targets using multi freq, you may be surprised again.
Tnsharpshooter, thanks, great idea! I will try that with the small. That should really focus on those high conductors. Incidentally, I had tried various straight frequencies with the stock coil at various times/locations. I did pull out some some very deep nickels with the gold program that I was not able to get a signal with the multi. freq.

I like all the options this machine offers and each time I go back to a location, I will mix things up with the different programs or frequencies.

Just curious, when you are in 5 kHz why the fast speed vs. slower? As of late I been slowing things down and been using the 4 or 5 speeds for what appears is that little extra depth.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Tnsharpshooter, thanks, great idea! I will try that with the small. That should really focus on those high conductors. Incidentally, I had tried various straight frequencies with the stock coil at various times/locations. I did pull out some some very deep nickels with the gold program that I was not able to get a signal with the multi. freq.

I like all the options this machine offers and each time I go back to a location, I will mix things up with the different programs or frequencies.

Just curious, when you are in 5 kHz why the fast speed vs. slower? As of late I been slowing things down and been using the 4 or 5 speeds for what appears is that little extra depth.
The faster speed. Using 600 model Nox or use speeds 6 or 7 for 800 unit.
What this can do (depending on detecting scenario of some good targets) is keep Nox from trying to average as much. So keep ID of higher conductors generally higher.
Now, a user can lower tone break is using 800 model to 19, and run 5 tones and go into a modern trash site and have a good chance to pull some higher conductors out. And some of these finds an Etrac, Explorer, CTX user will not hit and actually give the higher conductive ID they like to see before they dig.

The small coil is very tight, along with Nox processing speed. Real winner.
And some of these higher conductors located with 5khz single freq, if you indeed check with multi freq, you may see ID of 16-18, and 5khz use may indeed show 20-22 on the same targets.
Just remember bottlecaps will ring high using 5khz. So letís say you get a high 20s reading target using 5 kHz, toggle to multi freq and if the target drops Iíd wise by more than 6 points , likely bottle cap. But if target just drops a few points when checking using multi freq,,,DIG. Likely higher conductor. I am sure a person could dig a bottle cap or 2, but the goal is clean a site out of all detectable higher conductors. I think this use of 5khz can pay some dividends. Another tool to try.

Youíre doing great.
Plus your back and arm ainít hurting with use of the refreshing Nox and small coil.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on the Merc, wheats and clad haul...fine hunt!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Looks like the 6" coil is doing a great job of separating targets for you.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Supporter

Congrats on your success with the small coil, can't wait to try it out!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Supporter

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
The faster speed. Using 600 model Nox or use speeds 6 or 7 for 800 unit.
What this can do (depending on detecting scenario of some good targets) is keep Nox from trying to average as much. So keep ID of higher conductors generally higher.
Now, a user can lower tone break is using 800 model to 19, and run 5 tones and go into a modern trash site and have a good chance to pull some higher conductors out. And some of these finds an Etrac, Explorer, CTX user will not hit and actually give the higher conductive ID they like to see before they dig.

The small coil is very tight, along with Nox processing speed. Real winner.
And some of these higher conductors located with 5khz single freq, if you indeed check with multi freq, you may see ID of 16-18, and 5khz use may indeed show 20-22 on the same targets.
Just remember bottlecaps will ring high using 5khz. So letís say you get a high 20s reading target using 5 kHz, toggle to multi freq and if the target drops Iíd wise by more than 6 points , likely bottle cap. But if target just drops a few points when checking using multi freq,,,DIG. Likely higher conductor. I am sure a person could dig a bottle cap or 2, but the goal is clean a site out of all detectable higher conductors. I think this use of 5khz can pay some dividends. Another tool to try.

Youíre doing great.
Plus your back and arm ainít hurting with use of the refreshing Nox and small coil.
Thanks again tnsharpshooter! I greatly appreciate the comprehensive explanation. It makes good sense to me. I tried the 5 frq. today. Very interesting, and immediately I hit some deeper clad. I had another great day today, will write it up with another new post.

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
Congrats on the Merc, wheats and clad haul...fine hunt!
Thanks Captain Silver! I don't know if I will be able to catch up to you with the silver...but I am trying.

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
Looks like the 6" coil is doing a great job of separating targets for you.
Thanks graybeard! I went out with again today. Things only got better or my luck is changing.

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Congrats on your success with the small coil, can't wait to try it out!
Thanks Ron 71! I have used the 6" coil for only four days. Went to a trashy picnic area of another park and I got a couple more good surprises today. It really snipers in between the trash.