Yet another interesting detector on the way.

Crumble

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Was browsing ebay yesterday for mine detectors in my endless search for high performance PIs at low prices :lol: , and stumbled on a deal I couldn't pass up. Minelab F1A4 Mine Detector for a good deal... $250. It's an older machine, from the 90's I think, but should be somewhat equivalent to the GP Extreme.

This one is easy to mod with 1/4" headphone jack and regular Minelab PI coil connector, unlike the F3 that I used to own. So those will be the first things that happen to it.

Shipped out this morning, super stoked to see how it compares to the TDI.

Attachments

• s-l16000.jpg
    s-l16000.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 964
  • s-l160.jpg
    s-l160.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 922
Interesting. Looking forward to your 1st post with it.

That is an interesting rig :yes: Wouldn't it be hard to swing without an arm cup though?

Don't want to hijack the thread but a buddy who detects was at a marine flea market yesterday and sent me this pic. (It is keeping it in the theme though). Earl, I am sure that when your detectors and scoops go for sale they'll look MUCH nicer than these! :razz:

Attachments

• Detectors.jpg
    Detectors.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 599
That is an interesting rig :yes: Wouldn't it be hard to swing without an arm cup though?
No problem for a Marine :laughing: For us an arm cuff is easy to add. They have one brand in two piece that will fit any size shaft. I have made arm cuffs from 3 inch PVC couplings cut in half then bolted from the bottom of the shaft. Cost a dollar for 2 arm cuffs. Line the inside with wide weather striping or any other soft material.

No problem for a Marine :laughing: For us an arm cuff is easy to add. They have one brand in two piece that will fit any size shaft. I have made arm cuffs from 3 inch PVC couplings cut in half then bolted from the bottom of the shaft. Cost a dollar for 2 arm cuffs. Line the inside with wide weather striping or any other soft material.

Yea I bet a Marine would get razzed pretty hard if he complained about not having an arm cup :lol:

A month ago I was swinging my Whites Surf PI and the thin metal arm cup broke and for the life of me I was unable to swing without it! :no:

Good catch, somehow I missed that. Looks like the original arm cuff is attached to a shaft that is inserted into the end of the main shaft. May have to make one with the CNC router.

It arrives tomorrow, hopefully he just forgot to take a picture of the cuff.

If you need any info on the machine, I believe I still have the instructions on a file. It's based off the GP series, a couple mods and that machine has real value... And potential... As I recall the threshold "in stock form" is unusual.

Don't ask how I know...:lol:

Felix Reply

Hook up with Crum, maybe he will take you on an epic live land mine hunt , ya never know , treasure might bring you a newer, nicer machine :laughing:

If you need any info on the machine, I believe I still have the instructions on a file. It's based off the GP series, a couple mods and that machine has real value... And potential... As I recall the threshold "in stock form" is unusual.

Don't ask how I know...:lol:

Yeah, I have been reading about the level 3 mods and people saying it makes it more sensitive than a GPX 5000. The guy charges $1200 for the mods though...

Yeah, I have been reading about the level 3 mods and people saying it makes it more sensitive than a GPX 5000. The guy charges $1200 for the mods though...

$1200??? Holy Moly... Do some digging, there is only so much that can really be modded...

Must make it sound like rocket science or black magic for 1200 bucks...

$1200??? Holy Moly... Do some digging, there is only so much that can really be modded...

Must make it sound like rocket science or black magic for 1200 bucks...

Yeah they are adding all the settings, frequency, timings, gain, etc. I’m thinking the machine is already hot from the factory so just doing headphone jack and coil connector for a bigger coil.

You will be easy to spot on the beach. How many mines do you think are on the beach. you could be saving a life :p

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 422
Back
Top Bottom