OOPS forgot to add pics LOL

Attachments

• 20190324_184734_resized.jpg
    20190324_184734_resized.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20190324_130540_resized.jpg
    20190324_130540_resized.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 284
I did some research on this type of bullet. The base is conical and the gas seal rings with the ridges in them dates the bullet between 1870-1880 when black powder was used in the first modern cartridges. Modern bullets do not have the same type of gas seal rings, they have a crimp ring and the base is flat. Most modern bullets are copper jacketed and the ones that are lead do not have enough time to achieve the patina that this one shows.

Interesting you have found info saying 1870-80.
Can you please post link, I find lots of bullets and would like more info for research.

Cast bullets without copper jackets are still popular today and there are many 'repo" cast bullets available which makes it even harder to fix a date.

What is its diameter?
Great if it is that old and hope it is.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...l-civil-war-era-carbine-bullet-need-help.html

Here is the link that I got my info from. I do not have a caliper, but I used to be an avid shooter and am familiar with bullet calibers. That said, I estimate that it is either a 44 or 45 caliber. What caught my attention to the bullet was the deep conical base of the bullet. It did not look modern. Also the bullet had patina that usually happens with extreme age. I found several other lead bullets in that field and they did not have the patina on them nor was the base conical. I am not saying for certain that the bullet was definitely in that battle nor am I certain of the age. My hunting partner is from the area and he has found both bullets and casings in the area that are of the time period. I do believe that it is very possible that the bullet is of the time period based on previous finds in the area and that a documented battle occurred not far from where it was found.

I was also guessing .44 or .45 caliber and it does look like a handgun bullet.
Long Colt .45 is a good possibility as this was a popular cartage.

It does have the white patina of an old bullet.

Back
Top Bottom