Minnesota couple here, new to the hobby!

Practice, Practice, and then some more practice. the old saying that practice makes perfect holds a lot of truth. The more you learn the better you become. We all went thru a learning process. It takes time to learn what your machine is telling you. I nearly wrapped my first detector around a sturdy tree due to frustration but I did not do that and now I thoroughly enjoy the hobby. Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions as there are some outstanding folks on here with a ton of knowledge.

Start in your own yard first. Read all you can, practice digging plugs, learn to pin point. There is a learning curve with that XP. If you have yard/ garden room, make a test area with coins, pop tabs etc. Different depths. Use wooden dowel rods to mark your targets. As stated, practice, practice, practice. You'll find lots of trash, but we all do. A log book for recording settings, depths and target found is also worth using. Ask questions. Good luck and have fun. I'm from the twin cities area. Minlooker.

Welcome from SW WI

I believe the Deus is most definitely a formidable machine, but for a new detectorist it may pose a couple challenges, be sure to fill your frozen ground time getting to know your machine via YouTube to shorten your learning curve while swinging

Welcome from Northern Illinois. I hope that you'll enjoy the addiction as much as most of us have.

Here's hoping that every hunt is enjoyable, whether or not you find "treasure"

Never touched a metal detector in my life...either of us. Altho we've mentioned MD'ing on and off in our younger years...never had the time. Fairly new empty nesters we now need to get our butts off the couch and find something to do together.

So the big christmas present this year was a XP Deus MD, with hard case, the XP MI-6, water proofing for the Deus, a sand scoop - and with our purchase a free Bounty Hunter MD.

The "some assembly required" is now done- the winter will be used to read and learn how to use the MD's. OVERWHELMING to say the least!!!:shock::shock:

I have already checked on local policies, laws, rules etc in our county on Metal detecting- so far so good- nothing specific. Illegal in state parks certainly sucks...but I'll get over it. Living in the land of 10,000 lakes will be most likely our biggest search areas. We live within a few miles of the Kensington Runestone discovery site - which is county park area now...no rules posted online (but maybe have a NO MD rule posted at the park) a trip out in the spring will tell the tale there.

We are just learning how to "find" interesting areas to MD and discover!! My next thought is hitting up the local historical society for old maps of possible buildings / old rural school houses / old depots and tracks/ places that "no longer exist"...for some possibilities.

Love that we are hopefully embarking on something we can continue to do together. I hunt, he doesn't, he likes trains, i'm not a fan...it was this or flying model airplanes....that may still happen in the years to come- but for now we are excited about this and looking to learn all that we can!!

If your shouting out a welcome- shout me out a tip or something useful or a "need to know" for two TOTAL GREENHORNS!!!!

Merry Christmas all!!!

minnesnowta!..nations "ice box!" so gotdamn cold out there,ya get maybe 2 months 'tectin' in before ya start to 'stiffen" up,and the blood coagulates

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom