• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Upgrade choices

steve d

Started five months ago with a entry level machine (Ace 250) and have found over 800 coins, but I feel that I'm missing other goodies. I'm hooked and looking at upgrading. I read about entry level machines here, but seldom about the next step up. When you upgraded the first time, what did you choose and why?

Steve

We upgraded Hubby's Ace 250 to the AT Pro. Still a Garrett and the learning curve wasn't as steep. : ) Plus, it's waterproof up to 10 ft under. He's been very happy with it as have others here who own one. Good luck with your choice. : )

When upgrading you may want to go as far as you can afford. Otherwise you may wish you had sooner than you think. My first upgrade from my first detector was a Minelab Sovereign GT. I learned it had a good reputation and lots of available coils and accessories. I loved that detector but felt I was missing out on something by not having a LCD screen giving me lots of target info. I soon added a White's DFX because of its reputation, ability to customize and create your own detecting programs and availability of different coils and accessories. Then I wanted water-proof so I could hunt in the rain so I got a Garrett AT Pro and got three coils for it. Finally I wanted a detector with a reputation for finding deep silver so I got a used Minelab Explorer SE. You will never find one machine to do everything you want well. Do your homework and read these Forums and make your best choice knowing you may change your mind again soon. Best of luck to you. HH. Matt

We upgraded Hubby's Ace 250 to the AT Pro. Still a Garrett and the learning curve wasn't as steep. : ) Plus, it's waterproof up to 10 ft under. He's been very happy with it as have others here who own one. Good luck with your choice. : )

Great choice here! Tons of feature for the $.

Both the xterra 705 and the garrett at are great detectors.. First thing to think about though is what you mainly see yourself doing with it, the obvious upside with the AT the entire detector is waterproof where as with the xterra only certain coils will be waterproof. But IMO the xterra 705 will outperform the AT by a small amount also with the xterra 705 you have the ability to change the frequency of the detector by changing the coil. with the higher frequency coil it makes a pretty darn good gold prospecting detector. But if you find yourself needing something fully waterproof the AT would be the way to go.

I hunted whites for many years and now hunt with a minelab safari...i love it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom