Backwoods dig with a Sheriff's Deputy

MrTeacherDude

f7d3c4d8259f2e08edead464ee008d7d.jpg

While my daughter played in a splash pad and my wife got some sun, I decided to take a nice long walk to "them thar woods" way back over yonder in this picture. Our county has cut out a mountain bike trail that has over a mile of trails and off shoots. I've hunted this place 10 or more times before and have NEVER had a problem.

Today the park was ridiculously crowded, so I got my stuff together and headed to the woods (purposefully leaving my big shovel in the the car) not wanting to make a scene. About 15 minutes later, my wife sends me a message that a sheriff has pulled up and was asking someone who pointed at the woods and that he was heading that way. I didn't think much of it and kept digging. (It's legal on all public parks and I know this land is publicly owned because I called and got the OK last August...)

When he gets there, he asks me what I've found and I answer him vaguely with "junk..." (I had 4 gum wrappers, an old can lid, and 2 shotgun shells). I expected him to say that I needed to leave, but he told me I was looking in all the wrong places! We walked to the "rest area" set up for bikers and runners and lo-and-behold 6 pennies almost automatically! He got a call and had to leave, but before he left, he told me that someone thought my detector was a shotgun [emoji849] and that I was suspiciously digging in the woods. (REALLY?!?)

I hunted for another 30-45 minutes and hit more trash and old iron junk before I gave it up and walked down to the park.

The interaction with that fine deputy made up for the lack of finds!

7d265e3d2337a37ea76f7ac7741e22a4.jpg

Had a old lady last week ask if I was spraying weeds when I was metal detecting. I guess a metal detector and a weed sprayer or shot gun look similar. Makes you wonder what people are smoking sometimes or what weed killer they inhaled lately. Great story. Happy hunting.

Funny! You gotta get a tennis racket cover to slip over your coil like what GabbityGab does! Its a beauty of an idea for carrying a detector through crowded areas.!.Nobody will mistake that for a shotgun! Especially if you are wearing shorts!...

titled 'Detector Life Hack' by GabbityGabby, under the detectors and gear subject..
Mud

I've never been hasseled here in NC. Most people are friendly. When the police pull into the park parking lot I wave at them and they wave back and go about their important business.

I've never been hasseled here in NC. Most people are friendly. When the police pull into the park parking lot I wave at them and they wave back and go about their important business.

My 2 law enforcement run-ins have been extremely pleasant and BOTH knowing a lot about detecting. The guy I met today came up with a handshake. I've also only been bothered once before unless you count nosey ankle biters as a "bother." Most people around here seem more curious than suspicious. I guess I just caught the nervous momma today...

MrTeacherDude , you are correct , the police I've encountered in this county have been pretty cool . I think we have been pretty lucky that our crime hasn't hit the level's of some of our surrounding counties , which helps our police's attitudes . Your a couple cents closer to that At Pro . Keep diggin' .

So far, everyone has pretty much ignored me, the police included. But I usually do my detecting in the afternoons, and there isn't that many people around. The cops have driven by a few times, but they don't pay much attention to me and I've never felt like they were there to check me out. I think that they are just on routine patrol. But I have friends that seem to have run-ins all the time with either the cops, or other people. I haven't been stopped by a cop in twenty years, and I can't even remember the last time I had some sort of confrontation with someone else. I don't know what I'm doing different. I'm not really trying to stay out of trouble, it just never finds me.

Back
Top Bottom