• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I didn't see this posted anywhere... major coin hoard found

WoW! - pretty deep find indeed ! :shock:
2 feet under the surface ,it could not be damaged by the plow.
I guess this was not a buried random hoard - most probably there
was an old settlement at the place .Very nice :cool:

dang 2 feet down they must have had a pretty big coil but still if I found something like that I wouldn't tell anyone

It was posted but I posted it in too many places on here (2) and was told I violated the rules. I wanted everyone to see that didn't look at just the one forum. I was a bad boy.

Amazing...don't see this too often in the states. Did people not bury cashes here as they did in England? Or.... are they found here and people just keep their mouths shut?

I don't know how some feel about it, I'm not exactly a big fan of the UK's treasure trove laws. Always seems like some government entity wants to swoop in and take something you found, usually hidden behind some antiquities angle. Or you get hit with taxes like that recent couple in California who found the gold coins on "their" property, I think I would just keep quiet about such finds, if at all possible.

Its called the P.A.S here in the UK, which stands for the portable antiquities scheme, and believe it or not, its actually very fair. If you were to find somthing such as these coins, all they want is to properly excavate the finds with archeologists to understand what "context" they were buried in, ie to try and understand why they are buried there in the first place.
They will then photograph everything, clean and value the entire find. If its of national interest, then yes they will end up going to a museum, possibly even your local museum, but you will get full market value for your finds.
Most detectorists have a 50/50 agreement with the landowner, so the only thing you have to pay is the landowners share.
Happy Hunting.

shuvel-rider, and searchin, regarding your inputs about the UK system:

There's been a lot of USA md'rs whose eyes wax romantic at the thought of such a system. As if it's some sort of love-affair between md'rs and archies, eh ? But I would have to side with your first reaction to it Shuvel. And disagree that it's "actually very fair" as you say, Searchin.

Well, yes it's "actually very fair" if one STARTS with the assumption that the treasure belongs to the govt (queen, etc..). If that's your starting premise, then yes, it's "fair" (better that you get something, instead of nothing, eh ?). Because bear in mind that most of the finds you read of coming out of the UK are being found on private land, not public land (they primarily hunt farmer's fields there).

But here in the USA, if you find $1,000,000 on farmer Bob's land, then it's TOTALLY BETWEEN YOU AND FARMER BOB what you want to do with that $$. Uncle Sam has no say-so in it. Hence I would much rather have the USA system.

Hey Tom, thanks for your input.
i understand where your coming from, but you have to understand that the p.a.s is there purely to help understand the vast history of the uk for everybody, and mainly the future generations. They acheive this by getting amazing finds into museums, where they belong.
Not only would your finds go on public display, but you get the full market value for them too!.
Its all good and well finding a million dollars of gold on farmer bobs field, but what happens when farmer bob wants his cut of be money?. My guess is that you try to find a private buyer who doesnt want to pay full market value to put into theyre private collection for nobody else to appreciate??.
Personally i will stick to the uk system :yes:

searchin, when it comes to the aspect of "museum appreciation" issues, then sure. Everything you're saying is true.

But beyond that, any hope of doing such a system here in the USA (to get that same "museum appreciation" going), will have the "devil in the details" here. History here shows, that the MINUTE you loop in the archies or the govt. for some sort of love-affair-hand-holding coop, is the minute you invite disaster. An example of this is any time some city or county or state park has some sort of express allowance, or "permit" , etc... : It will invariably be riddled with silly rules like "yes but no digging", or "digger tool shall not exceed 3" in length", or "yes but you have to turn in all valuables you find", or "yes as long as you don't find anything over 50 yrs. old" or "not within 25 ft. of any tree", blah blah blah.

So most American's would prefer there be no govt. involvement, of having any say-so in md'ing (better left silent on the subject). Perhaps in the UK archie don't dis-like mdrs, but ...... unfortunately, ... they dislike md'rs here. So the less they know and think about us, THE BETTER :laughing:

The less the government (at any level) knows, the better, is my point of view. If I want to keep found relics in my own collection or sell them privately, then that would be my business.

Hey Tom, thanks for your input.
i understand where your coming from, but you have to understand that the p.a.s is there purely to help understand the vast history of the uk for everybody, and mainly the future generations. They acheive this by getting amazing finds into museums, where they belong.
Not only would your finds go on public display, but you get the full market value for them too!.
Its all good and well finding a million dollars of gold on farmer bobs field, but what happens when farmer bob wants his cut of be money?. My guess is that you try to find a private buyer who doesnt want to pay full market value to put into theyre private collection for nobody else to appreciate??.
Personally i will stick to the uk system :yes:

I would be completely against that sort of system here in the USA, doesn't seem right to me.

The less the government (at any level) knows, the better, is my point of view. If I want to keep found relics in my own collection or sell them privately, then that would be my business.

Britons have a completely different attitude about their government than we do of ours, and their government operates very differently than ours. They don't need to worry about being treated fairly on the value, or losing their 50% share. It's a well managed agreement.

Its called the P.A.S here in the UK, which stands for the portable antiquities scheme, and believe it or not, its actually very fair. If you were to find somthing such as these coins, all they want is to properly excavate the finds with archeologists to understand what "context" they were buried in, ie to try and understand why they are buried there in the first place.
They will then photograph everything, clean and value the entire find. If its of national interest, then yes they will end up going to a museum, possibly even your local museum, but you will get full market value for your finds.
Most detectorists have a 50/50 agreement with the landowner, so the only thing you have to pay is the landowners share.
Happy Hunting.

I think that is an awesome arrangement. Too bad something like that wouldn't work here in the US.

Are finds taxed in either system, I can't imagine getting a fair shake in NY . Like Tom said the Less the Archies know the better. NY claims to own any gold in the ground.
HH

Back
Top Bottom