Not your average quarter!!

Pagordon

Rizar33 and I got out for a hunt today and little did I know what kind of hunt it would be. Within the first couple of plugs I scored a worn 1904 Barber dime. Figured this was going to be a good day with a start like that, but the good finds did not keep coming. I dug my fair share of deep trash and a few pieces of clad. I did manage to dig what looks like a button with LX or LK on it. Maybe someone here can tell me what it is.

What came next was totally unexpected and I am sure I will never forget. It had been about four hours of not much excitement and I was about ready to call it a day. I was working the ridgeline of a corn field in the middle of nowhere when I got a quarter signal on my V3I at four inches. Earlier in the day Rick had dug a Mason jar lid, so I was assuming this would be what was under my coil. I cut the plug and flipped it over and took one more shovel full from inside the hole. There in that clump of dirt is a big thin piece of shiny silver! I picked it up and tried to see what was on it through all the dirt, knowing not to rub it. I had to put it down and run over to Rick as I didn’t know yet what I had. I was sure it had to be great! I remember telling him he had to see it but not to rub it because I knew that it was silver. Rick picked it up and looked he was able to see the word “liberty” on it. I knew I had to take it over to a puddle and wash it off. What I had found was an 1807 Draped Bust quarter!!! I still did not know what this coin was even after I washed it off. Honestly, I had to google it to find out. This coin is one of the first series the United States Minted and was made from 1796 to 1807! I can’t put into words how excited I am to have dug this coin! The coin has great detail but is a little bent and beat up from being in the ground, but its mine and I like it just the way it is. This coin is one that you just have to hold to see the detail as my phone doesn’t take the best pictures. What a hunt and what an experience!

Well I think your phone did a good job getting the detail!! I want to let everyone know that I am VERY honored to be the second person to hold this treasure!

You have been sticking with it for the longest time with a bad coil that you didn't know you had and you TOTALLY deserve this find!!

There is nothing more about this hobby that I like than to see your face when you get one of these finds. The last one was the reale you found!!

Now, on to my rant......I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU and I HATE YOU!!!!!!

For all of those who have never hunted with us it was not a "Friendly Forum" in the Jeep on the way home!!! LMAO!!

Well deserved and we have some research to do on this spot!!!

This is a serious part of american history and I don't know how many people have ever dug one of these. Could this be more rare then digging a gold coin?

Geez that thing is in such good shape it looks like it was buried just so someone could come along and find it!! A quick check on NGC's website list this beauty in VF grade at $1750 ... and I am being very hard on the grade! Yeah, the Barber is cool most days .... but today it takes the very back seat on the bus!

Submit that to any of the magazines you can think of ....... its a sure fire prize winner!!

Thanks guys! I'm so pumped up about this find and I see its a featured now! The more I find out about it the more lucky I feel.

No way! Dude, that is not only super rare, it is worth big bucks. I'd have it graded and stored in my collection forever! That's better than a gold coin!!

Back
Top Bottom