Updated with photos of cleaned Axe Head: The last thing I expected to find on a local ski piste was a bronze age palstave axe head!!!

lemanlures

Well yesterday morning, found myself up nice and early and thought i would spend a few hours on one of our local ski pistes (that i have been on many times before) as all my fields are currently in crop or recently seeded.. and i need my detecting fix..

So with no expectations whatsoever and the vague hope that i may find one or two modern silvers or a ring..off i went..

One of my first targets was a 1867 10 Centivos from Italy .. which i was well chuffed with as its one of the oldest things i have found up on the pistes.. until 3O minutes later when i found myself sitting in the wet grass staring at what i can only identify a mid/late bronze age axe head... approximately 4000 years old!

The At pro, rang a strong solid 69-72 and was telling me that there was coin 5 cm deep, after digging about 15/20 CMs i was about to give up but my pointer was beeping away at the bottom of the hole so i thought to myself well let me dig this piece of copper pipping or trash out the ground so i don't try and dig it again.. and then i saw the corner of a very green object!

I found this yesterday afternoon and i am still shaking! Yes it will be handed in to the archeological services and yes Swiss law sucks but hey at least i get to hold it and stare at for a while!!

Now added three new photos of the painstakingly cleaned axe head, no water was used only a tooth pick and very soft tooth brush!

Attachments

• mms_img421279556.jpg
    mms_img421279556.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,790
  • Axe clean scale.jpg
    Axe clean scale.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,475
  • Axe clean scale 2.jpg
    Axe clean scale 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,469
  • Axe clean 1.jpg
    Axe clean 1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,443
Wow! This is amazing!!! :) Awesome find glad you dug that hole deep and didn't give up. This should have way more replies it is an incredible find... :wow:

Just the thought of finding any thing of that age. Just think you are the first person to lay eyes on it in many and I mean many centuries. I find something a 100 years old and I get excited. It is a feeling that can't be described. Great find and keep the oldies coming. HH

Excellent Dig! It just amazes me the things that are rite under our feet and some are lucky enough to find.

A great find, and while the law may make you surrender it, most of us are simply excited to connect so directly to history. Hopefully you will get due credit for the recovery, and it will lead you to other sites that reward you in a more traditional manner of silver coinage. I would be shaking a month afterwards just from holding that ... much less finding it!!

:shock::shock: that's an awesome find!
in a way, i know it sucks to have to turn it in, but then again, hopefully when the arch's are finished with it, it'll have it's place in a museum where many people will be able to see it. :yes:
looking forward to seeing pics after it's been cleaned up a bit. (leave the green on it though) ;)

Pete

Wicked awesome find! So tell me, would they find out if you kept it?

Probably no one but the point is I would know!

Now trust me when i say I am far from a model citizen:cool:, but when you find something of this age and archeological significance even i don't believe its place is in my collection but believe it should be displayed for everyone to see and studied by professionals.. now if someone were to offer me 2000$ cash for it right now I might change my tune:lol:

:shock::shock: that's an awesome find!
in a way, i know it sucks to have to turn it in, but then again, hopefully when the arch's are finished with it, it'll have it's place in a museum where many people will be able to see it. :yes:
looking forward to seeing pics after it's been cleaned up a bit. (leave the green on it though) ;)

Pete

Thank you Pete and yes its place is in a museum no argument there! I spent 3 hrs with a tooth pick and soft tooth brush cleaning it last night..NO WATER or anything that may damage the patina was used ... if I was going to keep it i would use a little olive oil on it to preserve it, but as i will hand it in i will not use anything on it. Photos to come its cloudy and raining so just waiting for some sun so I can get a decent photos :cool:

A great find, and while the law may make you surrender it, most of us are simply excited to connect so directly to history. Hopefully you will get due credit for the recovery, and it will lead you to other sites that reward you in a more traditional manner of silver coinage. I would be shaking a month afterwards just from holding that ... much less finding it!!

Thank you Sir, couldn't agree more!

WoW ! - Awesome piece of history.
Will the Museum attach a tag to it with your name as finder ?
Congrats !

Wow. Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations!!

If that happened where I live, the resort would be closed for the next several years as archaeologists dug up the area.

Does not hurt to bump a post, I did not see it the first time around so glad you did. Cool find.

Back
Top Bottom