how to handle a hill?

JTW

I've been given permission to detect in "common" areas in my sub division. Its less than 30 years old and was once a large apple orchard. Never know,there might be something.
Now there are a few retention ponds that are normally dry and running along one side of the sub division is a major commuter train track line.
These are raised about 10 feet and slopes about 40*. Same around the ponds . should get clad around the ponds.
Now as I'm thinking on this how do you detect a slope?
Keep the coil on the ground slope which would require to dig on the angle?
Or
Coil level to base, causing the back of the coil raised and only the front touching the ground?
This would throw off depths I'm sure.

Am I just over thinking this? If so I'll just go swinging and the heck with it.

Do your homework as it regards the RR Track. Digging on the RR ROW (Right of Way) is Strictly forbidden and can land you in serious trouble, as well as the potential for injury. This would make detecting on that slope a moot point.
Be careful, my friend.

Thanks!
Yes you're right! I know to stay clear of the tracks land . this is about 100 yards into the subdivions property and maintained by the association.
The retention ponds are also way clear.

And..... Roll Tide Roll !!!!

I hunt a lot of very steep hills...I got one grass slope that is all of 40 degrees! Best part is the lower 3rd...Since they are so hard to walk on, focus on not falling down and busting your rig, consciously think about foot placement and wand control, if you were to slip/fall, you dont want to land on your rig and bust it all to hell...

I keep the coil parallel to the surface, yes its a bit tough to isolate a ping since the signal is shooting at it sideways, buts its no trouble with some practice...Start at the bottom and work your way up in big arcing sweeps with a firm wide stance...

Always keep your wand off to the side in the event of a slip...wet grass, snow, whatever...certain types of footwear work better on slopes...sooner or later, a guy is going to fall down hunting a slope, and the worse thing you can do is to crush your rig, so just keep that in mind and position yourself accordingly so that your rig lands on top of you and not the other...You are good to go!...I used to roof houses, so that helps...
Mud

Attachments

• sno3.jpg
    sno3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 220
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 221
Thanks!
Yes you're right! I know to stay clear of the tracks land . this is about 100 yards into the subdivions property and maintained by the association.
The retention ponds are also way clear.

And..... Roll Tide Roll !!!!

Looks like we are on the same page, in multiple ways.
I know my company has had to secure ROW to Bore Fiberoptics under the RR Tracks, it was very expensive and time consuming, just for the permits. Never hurts to remind everyone of the dangers.

and of course Roll Tide Roll !!!! :woohoo:

keep the coil parallel to the surface, yes its a bit tough to isolate a ping since the signal is shooting at it sideways, buts its no trouble with some practice...Start at the bottom and work your way up in big arcing sweeps with a firm wide stance...

+1

That's what I would do. I've hunted some less steep hills like this with descent results.

I walk down hills backwards starting at top with my coil parallel to the ground much easier tham climbing the hill and trying to swing and faster. :)

Your detector rod length may have to be adjusted,,and possibly more times than once.

It is what I like about the Deus units a run,,rod length micro adjustable in a flash to keep length ideal for terrain at hand.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom