Ancient Coins

CoachKalk

Hello to everyone. It has been quite some time since I have posted because I just have not been detecting. But, I consider the posters here some of the most knowledgeable so I am asking for some help.

I am trying to plan ahead for Christmas and I am trying to investigate whether it is even feasible for my idea to happen. I would like to get each of my 5 kids a coin which would have been in circulation during the life of Jesus Christ. First, I am not sure if coins from so long ago are even remotely reasonable in price. Second, I am not sure what to search for. Third, I am/would be concerned about fakes. Is there a trustworthy website that any of you have experience with? Any suggestion on coins to investigate?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Steve

I don't know what your budget is, but some of those coins aren't rare, but because of the demand, are higher priced than I would like. Roman denari can be expensive, but the smaller "as" or "quadrans" coins may be available. The rulers you would want to look for would be Augustus or Tiberius. Some judean prutahs may be had reasonably. Herod the great would be an exception, but Herod Archelaus isn't as expensive. The coins of Alexander Janneus may have been minted years before, but they could have still been in circulation. Some Roman prelates may be found from that time, such as Valerius Gratus.

Checking vcoins.com, I found some Herod the Great and other coins that would have been circulating in the $50 - $60 range. Some careful shopping may bring the cost down.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

-- To

Actually, I just did a search at vcoins.com for "prutah", and narrowed the range to 10 - 60 dollars, and it found a bunch of them, including some cheap Herods.

-- Tom

Romans

Hi,
my collection of Roman denarius starts couple years ago from my first dug silver denarius that i detect myself. Before this, i was collection russian imperial coins, then got some US coins in trading, but after i hold ancient coin in my hands i understood that it's addiction to the end of my days :D
Actually, it's my personal thought, everybody who take metal detector in the hands, sooner or later start collect coins, and everybody who collect coins sooner or later start gather (or have at least few ) ancient coins.
Actuallly prices on Roman silver denarius are not high at all if consider how old it is. From $15 to $40-$50, depend of shape. Rare coins with interesting legends worth more.
Here is a guy on the forume who bought a denarius of Marcus and Commodus from my sale threads cuz he is a big fan of the movie Gladiator. The same me, when i watch films about Romans i do start search a coins of the imperators of that times. Read history of his run and his biography.
It's a easy and funny way for everybody learn history, especially for kids.

Best regards!
Andrey

First, I would like to say thank you to all of you offering suggestions. I did do a few online searches and quickly realized there are many many different options out there. Ughh!

I am not sure of the site, but I found 3 "names" of coins: denarius, mite and shekel. I quickly found out the "30 pieces of silver" Phoenicia, Tyre, after 126 BC, AR Shekel is pretty pricey!

I will def. check out the vcoins website as well. The widow's mite seems like an option as well if the larger coins do not work out.

Although we are not crazy rich, my wife and I decided last year to start getting our kids the type of gifts that they will eventually be able to pass down to their own kids. Basically, 1 or 2 higher priced gifts with more meaning. It def. looks like I will be able to get them some type of coin from the time of Jesus. Perhaps a mite and something else ... Last year we charged a little more than planned, but I truly think it is worth it.

So, I may be asking for "best" suggestions if say I wanted to spend $150 max per kid. I will also be looking and bouncing ideas off all of you as well.

Thanks again,
Steve

Well, after looking through vcoins, the "tribute penny" is off the table. :shock:

Right now I am considering:

Herod I, the Great, 40-4 BC,AE 8 Prutot, 23mm. Tripod, date (year 3) and monogram in Greek (of king Herod)/Helmet, star above flanked by 2 palm branches This coin would have been in circulation when Joseph became betrothed to Mary.

and a widow's mite.
Attribution: Hendin⁵ 1153
Date: 103-76 BC
Obverse: Star of eight rays
Reverse: Anchor

A few stupid questions... Is there a wide age range considered "biblical" mites? This date seems quite old (103 - 76 BC) - would they have been in circulation that long? Or is there a newer date that is a better choice? Are the price differences based on the same general factors as US coins - condition and rarity?

I may post a few specific examples later.

Thanks again,
Steve

!st, Andrey:

Some roman denari aren't that expensive. For the most part, though, Tiberius and Augustus are somewhat pricey.

2nd, Steve:

A "widow's mite" is merely copying a term from the Bible. The denomination is generally known as a prutah (or maybe a fraction of one). That's why I used it in the search. The prutahs definitely have a large age range. Also, don't assume Jesus was born in 1AD. Herod was dead before then, and how could he have ordered the slaughter of children to make sure that he got Jesus, if Jesus wasn't born until after he was dead?
I don't want to get into a biblical debate, but the 1AD date assumes that some religious figure centuries later got his calculations exactly correct.

Is it still your plan to buy 5 coins? Do they all have to be the same type? If so, I think the Alexander Janneus coins (I think the widow's mite you listed was issued by him) would be the best for not breaking the bank.

One of the most popular issues amongst collectors are the coins issued by Pontius Pilate. They usually aren't very cheap, though.

-- Tom

!st, Andrey:

Some roman denari aren't that expensive. For the most part, though, Tiberius and Augustus are somewhat pricey.

2nd, Steve:

A "widow's mite" is merely copying a term from the Bible. The denomination is generally known as a prutah (or maybe a fraction of one). That's why I used it in the search. The prutahs definitely have a large age range. Also, don't assume Jesus was born in 1AD. Herod was dead before then, and how could he have ordered the slaughter of children to make sure that he got Jesus, if Jesus wasn't born until after he was dead?
I don't want to get into a biblical debate, but the 1AD date assumes that some religious figure centuries later got his calculations exactly correct.

Is it still your plan to buy 5 coins? Do they all have to be the same type? If so, I think the Alexander Janneus coins (I think the widow's mite you listed was issued by him) would be the best for not breaking the bank.

One of the most popular issues amongst collectors are the coins issued by Pontius Pilate. They usually aren't very cheap, though.

-- Tom
Tom - thank you for your info. I understand what you are saying about 1AD and agree with you. I was just not sure about as far back as 103 BC.

Do you have an opinion on the difference between "leptons" vs "prutahs"? I have found references to both. I will def. need 5 minimum and I suppose they do not have to be the same. As I search vcoins for prutah, the price ranges are pretty much based on condition?

Steve

I forgot about leptons. I think they may be fractions of a prutah.

Condition and rarity or demand determine the price, generally.

I think the coins of Alexander Janneus circulated for many years. The coins of roman prelates other than Pontius Pilate are probably reasonably priced.

-- Tom

P.S. While I collect all ancient coins, my specialty is in the coins of the Seleukid and Parthian empires. I do have some holy land coins, mostly 1st/2nd revolt coins, with a few others thrown in. I also have a couple of nice Herod I coins, including one I got at an auction not too long ago a little under $200.

KT would like to add one additional bit of information. Roman coins, both silver and bronze, typically do not sell based on condition, although they must be legible to have any value, but based on the length of the Emperor staying in power. The longer, the more plentiful the issuance of the coins. If you spend some time looking on ebay, you will find a lot of the same types you are interested in, say searching for "widow's mite". But because they were widely issued and were undated, they could be before, during or after Christ's life. The nice thing is that if you get them, you know it is the "type" of coin referred to in the Bible.

KT has purchased a wide variety of the more common Roman coins for less than $50 each, even a few silvers in that price range....not rare ones or in super condition but certainly recognizable examples.

And to clear up one possible confusion from KT's post, of course, near mint ancient coinage would be astronomically priced compared to average condition coins...selling in the $10s of 1000s of dollars, but those are not in most collectors price range!

King,

Generally true, but not entirely. Certain emperors aren't rare, but are in demand, and so command higher prices. Caligula immediately comes to mind. My two rarest Roman coins are a sestertius of Didius Julianus (ruled for 66 days), and an AE4 of Galla Placidia (which I got for 1$!).

The Alexander Janneus coins are widely referred to as "widow's mites", even though they were minted decades earlier, but they probably still circulated. At least I doubt that anyone would throw the coin back in his face telling him he wasn't historically accurate. :)

I don't have any in mint condition. The closest I have is a near mint state Constantine I, found in a hoard. I do have a bronze of Antioch minted under P. Q. Varus (whose infamy causes his coins to be more expensive) that I got on feeBay for < $40, but I wouldn't sell for less than $700 - $900.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom