Cheap Salt Water Detector????

ugadigger

Elite Member
I know this has probably been discussed, but I wanted to put this out there for any who could give some advice to an amateur. For the person who takes 2-3 trips to the beach each year. What would be the best SALTwater machine for the $? Now I know the usual suspects for the die hard beach goers who do it everyday, but this machine will only get used maybe 10-14 days a year. I am not talking dry sand either because I know most detectors will work in dry sand and the AT PRO is ok on wet sand. But a detector that would work IN saltwater. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Excalibur's, the CZ21's, etc? I'm talking used less than $500...

Fisher 1280X, great land machine when you're not at the beach too. Nice chest mount sold for it. I'll just duck under my chair to hide from the "It doesn't work there" posts.

Look around for a used CZ20 you should find one in the price range you are looking... or even a Whites Beach Hunter... on another forum in January one was for sale in their classifieds the OPer asked $650 and sold it for $475.

Thanks for the tips guys and I am guessing the rogue wave won't make a door stop out of these type machines...

DFX won't like to get wet (danger Will Robinson) but the CZ20 and 1280X are waterproof to 200'

cheaper alternatives will leave you high and dry with a machine that you are not able to resale very quickly, spend a little more if you can afford it and get a decent used CZ20/21 or Excal,,,,,,those machines are easy to sell if you decide to,,,,,salt water is tough, tough, tough unless you use the right machine,,,$650 to $700 could do it if you shop around,,,GL HH

cheaper alternatives will leave you high and dry with a machine that you are not able to resale very quickly, spend a little more if you can afford it and get a decent used CZ20/21 or Excal,,,,,,those machines are easy to sell if you decide to,,,,,salt water is tough, tough, tough unless you use the right machine,,,$650 to $700 could do it if you shop around,,,GL HH

Right here, 100% correct

I'm making a Surf PI, ordering the board and circuitry this week from silverdog. Should be around $150 in the end, we'll see. It isn't for the faint of heart though, not an easy project by a long shot.

Whites PI surf machines cam be picked up on eBay or CL for your price range. Dig-all machines and work horses!

I picked up my backup used on CL for $200, sent to Whites to the rehab tune of $185.00
It's a great water machine!

Don't really understand why you need another detector for the beach. You have an ETP and that's the machine Captain Silver uses and seems to do ok with it.:wow:

Are you planing in going underwater or just knee deep? If you don't plan to submerge the detector any CZ series detector will work marvels. You can find them used and cheap, and most have a detachable head that can be chest mounted...

Are you planing in going underwater or just knee deep? If you don't plan to submerge the detector any CZ series detector will work marvels. You can find them used and cheap, and most have a detachable head that can be chest mounted...
I don't plan on going underwater (ie diving), but I could see one miss step and bye bye unit...

Back
Top Bottom