1908 S Indian Head Cent

54shooter

Forum Supporter
OK, I found this and don't have a clue on how clean it or just leave it alone. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• First Dig 1908 IH.jpg
    First Dig 1908 IH.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 1908 Indian Head first dig.jpg
    1908 Indian Head first dig.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 977
imho its beautiful lock it in a two by two and write where you found it. cherish it forever. ive only been disappointed by cleaning coins = /

washcloth and water or a dremel with a cotton bit just to take the dirt off, thats the only cleaning that makes it look a little better and doesnt damage the value.

*IF* you want to clean it, I cleaned my 08 S with the boiling peroxide. It makes them look nice. I personally don't like my coins looking "dirty" so that is why I do it. Some like it like that, but not me.

Either way, nice find.

Greg

*IF* you want to clean it, I cleaned my 08 S with the boiling peroxide. It makes them look nice. I personally don't like my coins looking "dirty" so that is why I do it. Some like it like that, but not me.

Either way, nice find.

Greg

Would love to see that pic!!!

I have had ok luck with the Peroxide method on IH. sometimes it looks dry if you leave it in to long.

Leave it as it is.

if your going to try the peroxide method. try it on another dug IH first, to see if you like the results. If you do, then go for it!! if you don't like, at least you didn't do it to the 1908s..

keith

Wow great find! I have an old Indian Head Cent that is 1894, they're really cool coins!

Use a soft toothbrush with some Dawn and scrub very lightly on both sides. Let it dry and then soak in olive oil...

Great find :cool:

Well, just last night I tumbled (5 hrs) my 07 IH, it was in good shape and came out just fine, still has some age color. Not gonna sell it or anything, just wanted it looking better for the display. :cool:

S is the mint mark right? Isn't that normally somewhere near the date? I don't see it. I am new to coins so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

Use a soft toothbrush with some Dawn and scrub very lightly on both sides. Let it dry and then soak in olive oil...

Great find :cool:

I just cleaned my 1858 flying eagle that way. Nothing wrong with the advice, but when he says very lightly, go very lightly with the toothbrush, if at all, just a soap and water soak and clean with a tooth pic would have worked better for me. I lost some of my patina with the toothbrush, but the olive oil soak has done wonders! Nice find, love those Indians!

Back
Top Bottom