Caribbean Pirate finds, Can you help?

The Traveler

Just back from a trip to the Caribbean. I have a local friend who took me to an area with significant pirate/British/Spanish activity. It is private land and we have permission. I would never risk going to jail in a 3rd world country. Yes, I was still scared at the airport with relics in my checked luggage.

Needless to say I had a blast, but I am way out of my league with these relics. Being from the Pacific Northwest, I don't see much older than 1900. Can you help me with a few questions?

#1. The part I think may be from a musket was found a foot from 3 musket balls. It is made of brass and is broke on both ends. The screw hole makes it look like it could be the cock of a flintlock, but I find no images of one similar to this. Any guesses? Do the markings mean anything to you?
musket.jpg

#2. The key plate is made of brass and is engraved with a design that was definitely done by hand given how rudimentary it is. Any idea on how to date it?
keyplate.jpg

#3. I was surprised at how many buckles and pieces of buckle we found. Makes me think the site was occupied for a while.Buckles.jpg

#4. Bayonet. Pretty far gone.
bayonet.jpg

#5. I will eventually clean the whatsits. The top two are iron. the bottom one is brass. I am thinking it might have been the spout to a canteen, but I don't find pictures of ones with notches like this one. Ideas?
whatsits.jpg

#6. Saving the best for last. A hand guard from a sword. Made of brass, no markings on either side. Is there any way of dating this? Or perhaps determining the country of origin? Do you think that is part of the sword? It was found a few feet away, but it appears to be just iron like a barrel strap or something. What would a sword look like after being in the ground for a few hundred years?
handguard.jpg

hmm they made Flintlock Rifles too.. perhaps it is from one of those and not a musket.. could be significantly different I would think.

Sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime there.. CONGRATS on ALL of your finds !!

thanx for sharing. I too have found horse bridle parts and gun parts that had had curious hand-carved letters or Roman numerals engraved. Interesting.

In your second picture the arrow could be a Broad Arrow signifying British Military Ownership. There is actually a series of codes that are sometimes combined with the broad arrow (the second figure next to the arrow maybe) that with additional research could possibly tell you what the object was. RK

First picture looks like the side plate for a muzzleloader. Is opposite the lock plate that houses the action and keeps the screws from sinking into the wood.

34375.jpg

wow... fun stuff! When you said Caribbean finds, i thought you were going to show beach drops, and coins and stuff. This is AWESOME!

In the pic with what what you think may be a canteen top, the largest piece could be a partial revolver frame, or partial rifle receiver.

Lots of cool finds! :cool:

I would never risk going to jail in a 3rd world country. Yes, I was still scared at the airport with relics in my checked luggage.

I know how you felt. I tried to bring a cannon ball back from Panama in my carry-on luggage. lol. Let's just say, I got lots of attention, and the cannonball is still in Panama. That's a nice little spot you got there. That handguard is spectacular. And the key plate. That one piece does look like a side plate to a flintlock rifle or pistol, although I could not find a photo of one either that closely resembles it. I think you're right about the barrel band, but I have seen sword blades that look just like that, except they were straight. Congrats.

Now I know why I couldn't find a picture of it. It's on the opposite side of the gun that usually gets photographed.. It's a side plate from a flintlock.

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_170321.jpg
    IMG_20180526_170321.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Sorry, I was out of town and missed most of these posts.

THIS FORUM IS AWESOME!!! Thanks you all for such great help!. Especially metalwrkr, Baldasscat and scoundrel.

Side plate to a flintlock. That is a perfect picture of it.

Gauntlet, I will post another pic after cleaning that up a bit. Thanks for the idea.

The arrow is the British Broad Arrow. Traditional acceptance mark for weapons accepted into the British armed forces.

When the British military released surplus arms for British civilian sales, they struck the arrow mark -> with a second arrow -><- almost like a star.

Back
Top Bottom