Copper culture spear point

If it were up to any DNR official you wouldn’t even be able to detect in your own backyard. Total BS

The DNR manages a lot of state owned land, so I guess the guy was tasked with writing new regulations, which happened a lot at the DNR around 2011. I just remember one conversation with the guy over the Lincoln penny question and how adamant he was over the 50 year thing. What's really stupid (in my opinion) is any regulation so after the fact. Much of the detectable items are long gone, with mostly new drops taking place. I never knew a bunch of middle-aged guys (socially distanced) in a ball cap and headphones, walking slowly, staring at the the ground was so disruptive to a park-going society, but here we are?!

Dane County, WI, on the other hand, has a free permit system that allows you to detect in their parks and properties. It's good for three years and the only real limitation is on the size of digging tool used: no shovels, just small hand tools. Follow the metal detecting code of ethics such as fill your holes and try to preserve the appearance of the park. Fair enough!

We now return you to Ooooing and Ahhhing over that really cool copper spear point!

I have that “Dane County” permit Johnny. You know what I’ve found so far? Just on the verge of NOTHING. That’s not saying I’m gonna stop trying though!:lol:
That spear is SICK! I’d take it to the bench grinder and give it some shape again...:lol::lol::lol:

This was found near the shore of a local lake by my detecting buddy Ed. It kinda blows my mind that between 2000 to 6000 years ago someone threw a spear at an animal and lost this.
View attachment 462293

Stunning find, especially for you guys in the States...

Other people have mentioned how little this technology spread to other tribes, but the other notable thing for me is that they never made the step from copper to bronze unlike in Europe around the same time frame...I have wondered if perhaps tin was more scarce in the US at the time?

Stunning find, especially for you guys in the States...

Other people have mentioned how little this technology spread to other tribes, but the other notable thing for me is that they never made the step from copper to bronze unlike in Europe around the same time frame...I have wondered if perhaps tin was more scarce in the US at the time?

I think alot of it is the fact that in the Upper Peninsula the copper was already found in its pure form in masses of any size from a few ounces up to fifty tons! The natives actually only needed to find a chunk the appropriate size and hammer it into whatever shape was needed.

I can't say this with absolute certainty, but copper culture is part of why Wisconsin has some of the worst public access laws in the nation. There was a push about 10-15 years ago to get legislation on the books to allow for more detecting on public properties. It was making it's way through the various committees, but then Native American interests stepped in and the bill died. Their attorneys pointed to ebay listings for copper culture artifacts that claimed to be found metal detecting in and around Copper Culture State Park. After that, no legislator wanted to be associated with the bill.

Some time later, the DNR's archaeological person strictly interpreted the law on the books and prohibited detecting on state properties without a permit, and the only way you could get a permit was by requesting one from the property manager to look for a *specific* lost item that has to be described on the permit. You are supposed to turn over anything you find that's not noted in the permit, and anything over 50 years old or older is considered an artifact of the state. So yes, that 1968 Lincoln penny is off limits.

I should add that this gets even weirder. If you're recreationally prospecting for gold or other metals, you can allegedly use a metal detector in addition to a gold pan or other methods. Hey, I don't write these laws, I just read them...

Maryland's law is identicle on state property. Go figure. However you can't get any permit. There is an allowance for a few public beach areas and again it has to be less than 50 years old. I thought the fifty years was done back in the day when anything over 50 years (coins) was silver and the state wanted those and the rest they didn't care about?

... There is an allowance for a few public beach areas and again it has to be less than 50 years old. ...

Re.: 50 yr. thing : If you asked and bugged enough CA state park archies, for the rules on our state-run beaches and/or state parks here, you could come up with the same conclusion "pat-answer" here too.

But .... in all my 45-ish yrs. of this, I have NEVER had anyone come up to me , armed with a pocket-calculator , to do the math on the ages of coins I have found. Have you ?

I mean, seriously, I sort of have to chuckle on this "50 yr. " thing. Can ANYONE HERE ever recall being carded, and dates-on-coins checked, to make sure we're only finding modern coins ? At what point does this rule become ridiculous ? Heck, just put the older coins in your "other" pocket, eh ? Or re-bury the older coins so as not to be in violation.

Sheesk.

Back
Top Bottom