EQUINOX ...1, 2, 5 or 50 tones?

staffydog33

Just wondering which tones you tend to use most, as i'm confused as to which to choose for my beach hunting?

Do you use 1, 2, 5 or 50 tones most??

thanks.

I guess you just have to decide which you prefer. I love the sound of 50 tones , its almost like listening to music but I personally find it to be a little too much audio in trashy ground. So in a place like a field I use 50 but anywhere else 5 tone is my standard go to.

I guess you just have to decide which you prefer. I love the sound of 50 tones , its almost like listening to music but I personally find it to be a little too much audio in trashy ground. So in a place like a field I use 50 but anywhere else 5 tone is my standard go to.

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the books I've read...
  • 2 tones is used to learn size and depth
  • 3-5 tones is used to generalize the type of material
  • 50 tones is used to identify specific materials

50 gives you the most info. IMO, I don't see the value in dumbing down the audio response. Maybe someone has a practical example of why you'd do this??

50 as much as possible. I’m usually coin hunting so I’ll notch out everything but coin signals to cut down on the noise. If I’m digging all but it’s extremely trashy I’ll do 5 tones.

50 gives you the most info. IMO, I don't see the value in dumbing down the audio response. Maybe someone has a practical example of why you'd do this??

For my ears, when hunting extremely trashy areas the tones just run together in 50 tones. When I say “extremely trashy”, I mean extremeeeeely trashy.. Hard to pick out good targets from the barrage of sounds. While in 5 tones with the highest pitches set for the desirable target range they just jump out at me more. I think the biggest reason is due to the Nox’s compact ID resolution, because I actually prefer 50 tones when using the CTX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 tones most of the time but I do use 50 tones in wide open fields or areas where there is little to no trash. :grin:

Because there is too much natural variation to live targets. I don't care to listen to ID a target that is 23 vs one that is 25. I'm digging both of them anyway. All I care about are general categories to a dig/no dig decision. when at the beach like the OP asked about, all I need is 2 tones. It's either iron or conductive and I'm digging everything that isnt iron. why listen to 50 different tones?

For my ears....While in 5 tones with the highest pitches set for the desirable target range they just jump out at me more. I think the biggest reason is due to the Nox’s compact ID resolution, because I actually prefer 50 tones when using the CTX.
Totally agreed on the CTX. I have limited time using the NOX so I'm still on the fence.

...all I need is 2 tones. It's either iron or conductive and I'm digging everything that isnt iron.
That's certainly an option too. Have you tried that at the beach though?

Just wondering which tones you tend to use most, as i'm confused as to which to choose for my beach hunting?

Do you use 1, 2, 5 or 50 tones most??

thanks.

You only need two tones for the beach - iron vs non iron. I am using the default 5 but really don't need it. The only times multiple tones help on the beach is if you are trying to cherry pick something specific due to time/trash but doing that can cause you to miss stuff. I pulled my first silver ring with the nox today and it rang up a 16, which is what bottle caps/nickels/gold ring up. So not sure what you would cherry pick other than gold/silver which apparently can all sound/id the same on this machine.

Totally agreed on the CTX. I have limited time using the NOX so I'm still on the fence.

That's certainly an option too. Have you tried that at the beach though?

Thats how I've hunted every beach since I quit using PIs. If you skip anything conductive, you risk walking away from gold or silver.

I don't use a Nox but use Fisher and Teknetics. I only really use 3 tone once in a great while I will use the equivalent to the 50 tones.

Now my question is why 5 tones. I understand low-iron, mid-foil, high-coin/silver so what would the other two tones be for?

Ray

Now my question is why 5 tones. I understand low-iron, mid-foil, high-coin/silver so what would the other two tones be for?

Ray

I really only use 4, but some folks probably set them up for specific targets. An example would be tone 1 for small gold/foil range, tone 2 for nickels, tone 3 for pulltab/canslaw/jewelry range (between nickels and IHPs), tone 4 for IHP-Zinc, and tone 5 for the silver range of dime and higher.

I like 5 tone but can use 50 tone well. It depends on what and where I am hunting. For trashy sites, I prefer the 5 tone and setting up the bins, bin volume and bin tones so I can make the good targets stand out from the bad targets with distinction.

In cleaner ground, I will sometimes use the 50 tone to get good tone ID when covering a lot of ground.

Back
Top Bottom