Some of my puzzling finds.

MassDirtFisher

Forum Supporter
Sorry for the quality of the pics I am using a scanner.My wife wont let me use her cameras, They cost to much to touch.:roll:

There is a barber dime found in the same area as these objects. Well I found a Freemason Buckle from the Mid to late 1700's.A suspender buckle I think. Another random buckle.Broken coin or token with an eagles feet thats all I can see and make out.A weird button or something with 3 prongs on the back.I cant really make anything out yet.Then there is a round with a hole in it.Hard to make out .Has lettered edge.Hard to make out. Any help would be appreciated .Happy Hunting and thank you in advance.

Any Ideas about the Freemason buckle would be appreciated.Was told it could be a small belt or Leg Buckle. Have not turned up very much online.Have been in touch with Freemason library and Museum. Nothing. Maybe 1 of a kind??

Attachments

• Notsure.jpg
    Notsure.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 388
  • Notsure2.jpg
    Notsure2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
I dunno' either, but I think I've seen a couple of 'em in a horror movie featuring torture instruments somewhere...

Very nice finds, MassDirtFisher. I can't wait to hear what the experts on this forum have to say. Is the eagle on the broken 'token' on the top pic or the bottom pic?

I doubt it's silver because silver usually comes out of the ground clean. Could be though, I dug a barber dime that was real ugly! If it is lead though it could be a colonial curtain weight. They sowed them into the bottom of the curtains to keep the wind from blowing the curtains around. Also, some were turned into buttons. If it is that, it is a pretty cool find!

BTW: you should be able to tell by weight if it is lead. Lead is pretty darn heavy so you should be able to feel a difference in heft between it and a piece of iron.

Just wondering......some of the items may be easier to ID if you placed a sheet of paper over them and then used a pencil to rub over the paper to bring out the images onto the paper.

Just a thought...

Im not positive but i think its silver. If it was lead i would be able to scratch it and or bend it. Its pretty strong.Still in the process of cleaning.

i dug this merc it came out black. maybe this helps?

Attachments

• finds015.jpg
    finds015.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 321
finds

The find that is round with a hole in it. Could this be a fender washer used with a bolt and nut. I use some of those at work and it does look alot like that.

i would think that except the fact that I have found maybe 12 or 13 of them that vary in size. Everyone of them has a lettered edge.

Here are a few of the many.

Everyone of these has lettering on the edge and some lettering on both the face and reverse. No clue.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Attachments

• circleedge.jpg
    circleedge.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 294
letters

Yea the letters on there make that a different story. The only markings I've ever seen on a fender washer are the size but that would be like 5/8" or something thats a puzzle to me what it could be.

Good Day,

The objects with the three points look to me to part of a clothing suspension system. Such as socks. Reminds me a lot of OLD school hockey suspenders...

Steelie

Back
Top Bottom