Good detector for the beach

mdwarrior

Hi
Just got back from a few hours on the beach detecting ,it was like a constant sand storm with high winds and using the vx3 was easy on the sand,made a good few finds,mainly mondern coins,oh I also found a £5 note .

Ok now the bad news the vx3 battery box even though I had a cover on was full of sand and it took ages to clean it all out , I was concerned that the sand may damage the battery box but everything is ok and it still works fine.so I am thinking maybe I should get a dedicated beach machine that is waterproof and sand proof .

Any ideas of a good beach machine I don't want to take an expensive machine on the beach to get it caked in sand and worry that it may damage the electronics.

Also my mate who has the Garett ace had a lot of problems on the wet sand but was ok on the dry so I can see were more expensive machines come into there own.
Thanks.

Multi frequency units. My personal favorite is the Minelab Sovereign. You also have the Excalibur which is waterproof. On the Fisher side you have the CZ units. You have some choices. Decide if you want to enter the water. That can cut the selections down fast.

I use my V3i when the weather is good and calm, and my CZ21 when it is windy or rainy, or when i'm getting in the water.

I vote for a CZ21, amazing machine.

beach MD

Hi, first how much do you want to spend, your in England or one of the British Isles? Do you want to hunt dry sand or the wet sand or surf. Let us know.

Hi, first how much do you want to spend, your in England or one of the British Isles? Do you want to hunt dry sand or the wet sand or surf. Let us know.

Hi hunter

Today I detected all three .

I am in England ,we started off in the surf but the wind was too starting to get very strong and the sea spray was starting to get quite bad ,as I said my mates ace was playing up so we moved further inland ,the wind was really strong by this time and sand streaming across the beach made it hard going in the wet sand ,visibility was bad with the amount of sand blowing across the beach, so we moved into the sand hills to get out of the wind.
By this time my detector battery box was full of sand even though I had a cover on it .
That's when I said that's it if this is what winter is going to be like on the beach I am getting a waterproof detector.

I had no problems with the vx3 it was excellent in the Sandhills ,the surf and the wet sand ,I found a lot of mondern coins and tons of our nemesis the pull tabs.
But I was worried about the sand that was getting into the unit even though it was fully covered (both the battery box and control box )and damaging it , I know sand can cause serious damage to electronics if it get inside,luckily this did not happen but I can see how easily it could when the wind wips up really strongly and you are caught out on the beach.

Thanks

This may be a good time to ventilate my disgust over the V3 detector being designed into the same ol lunchbox housing that's been around for at least 15 years. It's rediculous for a detector costing as much as a V3i to not be designed more for the elements. I have one and it's a great machine for detecting, just not in bad weather.

If you're on a budget

I think I'd get a White's Beach Hunter 300...

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/beachhunter-300

800_0293_1_1.jpg

But if money's not an issue, I'd get a Minelab Excalibur without hesitation!

It depends on how wet you want to get.
ML Sovereign (any model)... with a waterproof coil
CZ20 or 21... waterproof
Excal... waterproof
AT Pro (as long as the sand isn't too black)... waterproof to 3m

Out of all these the Sovereign would be the least expensive choice (and my choice)... just do not dunk the control box.

Been using the same Whites DFX's on the beach for years. Best advice I can give is use ziplock bags to protect one. I take the arm cuff off the shaft and install the bag. Then run my headphone wire out the front of the bag. Reinstall arm cuff. I even use my DFX in a heavy downpour and wind from hurricanes. Other smaller ziplock you just slip over the screen. The thicker better ziplocks make it easier to see the screen. Cheap wrinkly thin ones are hard to see through in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom