my first ever hunt and this is wht i found! what is it?

c180

i was searching around an old home stead, i found a few nails, shot gun shells, and this thing any idea what it is?
thanks for the help.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 379
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 375
welcome to the addiction!
i'm not sure about that item. from those loops on the back, maybe it's some sort of buckle. :?:
cool find! nice green coloration on it! :yes:

Pete

I think I just found one of those or something real similar yesterday. Ill look. After I got it cleaned a bit I could see it had that loop for a belt or buckle or whatever in back. I think there is a lot of old pieces of ladies outfits we here, are not very familiar with. I just write them off as "fancy ladies clothing trinket"

addiction is right !! so another noob question if it is green does that mean its copper?
and how would i go about making this thing shiny? glad i found this site, so much helpfull info.

Ok, just looked. It looks like mine has just one spot for strap in back, yours two. Mine had a portion of a broken piece of blue stone (turquoise color) in it when I dug it, it fell out. Could have been baby blue glass I suppose. Here is a few of the "ladies trinkets" I saved from the past month of digging. You can see how it could get confusing as to what went where.

Attachments

• brown dig 023.jpg
    brown dig 023.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 350
  • brown dig 022.jpg
    brown dig 022.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 346
  • brown dig 021.jpg
    brown dig 021.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 356
Yep, that is a sweet find! Especially for your first time out! I found a couple Victorian era pieces on my first hunt too which solidly sealed the addiction for me, and it has only gotten worse... ;) Yes, it's copper, and I wouldn't do anything to change it. You will soon find that the copper green color coming up out of the soil is one of your favorite sights... next to silver (and gold if you are lucky!) Great find and look forward to seeing more from you!

thanks for all the info, i was using my friends metal detector and after finding this i ordered my own. just a few more days and it will be here

Great finds. Don't ever clean up that beautiful green patina. You'll soon regret it if you ever do clean one of those pieces. They'll look lame and new. You want your pieces to have character. Same for rubbing a silver coin, it'll leave scratches. Oh and you'll regret cleaning those too much too. Makes them look unnatural when you take away the patina. You'll find this all out soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom