What do YOU NEED in a water machine?

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
I hope this is in the correct section.
I have been experimenting with metal detectors for several years now. I am a trained machinist, and proficient on all machines manual or computer controlled. I have enough machining CNC equipment, carbon fiber, and tooling to make minelab cry. I have a working knowledge of how to keep electronics waterproof, and have almost TWO DOZEN designs of how I can easily make a waterproof detector. Just to hit the highlights, I have experimented AND WORKED THE BUGS OUT in these areas....
-Carbon straight shafts.
-one of a kind molded plastic or carbon housings
-Machining waterproof housings out of aluminum, carbon, and solid lexan
-Building waterproof headphones
-Tweeking and testing the electronics of simple mid range machines to meet water hunting standards.

Without giving away too much.....
I know how to make the "DETECTOR" just not the brains (motherboard). I have the shaft, housings, batteries, coils, weight, and balance covered..... but I am no electronics genius. YES I can add a sensitivity or volume, or pinpoint..... but I am lost when It comes to starting from scratch. (AND I DON"T WANT TO START FROM SCRATCH) I have built and tested a few waterproof machines utilizing the electronics of the higher end tesoros, as well as the lower end fishers. But I need to know where to go from here. I have the housing and detector unit ready..... but I cant just rip off someone else's technology. But I don't want to build it myself either lol..... SOOOOOOOOO? I guess Im stuck to making these kick azzz "detectors" and sticking someone elses brains in it? These housings are BY FAR lighter and well balanced.... far beyond the water machines I have tried. I am not even sure why im posting this ...... I have just hit a wall and need some help.
I have the materials, the machining capabilities, and the design.... But now I need that rare thing that not everyone has.... REAL BRAIN POWER>>>>>

I've posted this before but this would about do it for me...

Attachments

• MinelabExcaliburProFinished4.jpg
    MinelabExcaliburProFinished4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 538
It seems every shaft out there is round, for the water, they should be an airfoil shape sort of, but pointed on both sides.. Like the keel on a sail boat..

I can't begin to understand why we do not see this in water machines?

At least for freshwater, it would be 100X easier to swing it through the water..

Just to add to that, why don't the coils have a good taper on the edges as well?

<*)))>{

I'd think a narrower shaft and thinner coils would help with swinging in the water, and not be as difficult to produce, or design, as a tapered shaft and coil.

All of that narrower and thinner stuff equals weaker, I saying same amount of "stuff" just a different shape.. Round does not go through the water good, look at racing kayaks.. Or a better example would be the vertical fin above the horizontal foil on a hydrofoil boat.

Right now we are using, more or less, light weight, hollow broom sticks..:no:

<*)))>{

With a water machine, if used in salt water, the most important feature has to be a SAT adjustment, like on White's machines (GMT has one). Currently, none of today's water machines have one.

Just be sure and educate yourself on carbon fiber. You might as well be playing with asbestos.
Another tidbit. Carbon fiber dust is hazardous to electronics and electrical devices because it is conductive. The dust is very fine and will find its way into circuits and will short them out. This is probably why people get so freaked out about the dust.

Last edited:
might sound stupid but I find it very simple and convenient for a water machine like the Xcal that could forget forever about the knobs.

A button pannel with LED readings... just like the ones we see in any electronics

Bus%20AC%20Control%20Panel%202.jpg

443278134_078.jpg

If minelab could do something similar to the Xcal...

I have been experimenting with metal detectors for several years now. I am a trained machinist, and proficient on all machines manual or computer controlled. I have enough machining CNC equipment, carbon fiber, and tooling to make minelab cry. I have a working knowledge of how to keep electronics waterproof, and have almost TWO DOZEN designs of how I can easily make a waterproof detector. Just to hit the highlights, I have experimented AND WORKED THE BUGS OUT in these areas....
-Carbon straight shafts.
-Tweeking and testing the electronics of simple mid range machines to meet water hunting standards.

I know how to make the "DETECTOR" just not the brains (motherboard). I have the shaft, housings, batteries, coils, weight, and balance covered..... but I am no electronics genius. YES I can add a sensitivity or volume, or pinpoint..... but I am lost when It comes to starting from scratch. (AND I DON"T WANT TO START FROM SCRATCH) I have built and tested a few waterproof machines utilizing the electronics of the higher end tesoros, as well as the lower end fishers. But I need to know where to go from here. I have the housing and detector unit ready..... but I cant just rip off someone else's technology. But I don't want to build it myself either lol..... SOOOOOOOOO? I guess Im stuck to making these kick azzz "detectors" and sticking someone elses brains in it? These housings are BY FAR lighter and well balanced.... far beyond the water machines I have tried. I am not even sure why im posting this ...... I have just hit a wall and need some help.
I have the materials, the machining capabilities, and the design.... But now I need that rare thing that not everyone has.... REAL BRAIN POWER>>>>>

You could design a bullet proof waterproof housing for the Sovereign with 2 holes drilled for cable clams (include 2 cable clams with box), and a way to mount it on a shaft, and they would sell. If you search around you will see that most people use cheap Plano waterproof boxes to waterproof their Sovereigns that are far from sturdy.

I would buy one.

At the moment I use this box, and it works decent, but I don't trust the waterproof seal enough to submerge it... I consider it splashproof.

Attachments

• 81pzeNpcFEL__SL1500_.jpg
    81pzeNpcFEL__SL1500_.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 378
Interesting. Thank you for all of your replies. I really like the photo shopped "ultimate sovereign". I could definitely build something like that which is waterproof, but I would just have to rob the electronics out of the minelab sovereigns that are now on the market, And then tweak/customize them to fit that machines needs. Also it's no problem at all for me to get "sharp oval" shaped carbon fiber rod. It would slice that the water much better. I have several carbon fiber road bikes that use this shape of carbon fiber rods to build their bicycles. It cuts through the air much easier.

I've posted this before but this would about do it for me...
Well Aquaman,it done good for you ,you paid off your machine and then some,I hope to meet you in person some day,I got to meet NOHEA,seems to be such a nice guy,I really was excited to meet a forum buddy in Hawaii,it made my day:yes:I was rinsing off & he came up to introduce himself,so we chatted a little about our finds,then I had to rush off to work,,HH:detector::bling::tropical::trip::surfin:

-Carbon straight shafts.

I work with plastics and composites like carbon fiber in my profession, it's great material but it's expensive to lay-up since it's labor intensive and getting a good sealing surface will be a challenge for the electronics enclosure to be IP67 rated to 2m, deeper than that will be a more challenging. Cost wise, not going to be cheap that's for sure.

The shafts are easily purchased on line, cut to length and you can get different profiles if you choose. Custom enclosures using CF is going to be costly and you will need good sealing surfaces for o-rings and gaskets. Most of the waterproof boxes are injection molded plastic, tooling that is expensive. Seems like many people use watertight boxes that are on the market for other purposes and make them work well.

Machined blocks of plastic are costly too, you have to hog out a lot of material to form an enclosure, but it can be done and you can easily machine o-ring glands and get great environmental sealing.

I'm planning on building a DIY PI detector based on kit that's popular on Geotech, and will be using another technology to create some needed things to make it happen. I am planning on using some existing components to build it, but it will have a custom made coil cover and watertight box for the electronics. Still not sure if I will mod an existing watertight box or make my own custom. The knobs will also be on the outside for ease of adjustment, all along with the headphone jack will be waterproof. Planning on keeping the cost under $200, we will see if it happens?

Tech is what it is as far as the brains that go in the machine right now. Consider that CTX.....and redesign it from shaft to box. Personally id still like to have a PI/VLF combo.... flip a switch like on the whites PP system to go back and forth.

Dew

I would love to see a flouresent coil cover like the excels use in the water. I have a hard time seeing the coil underwater. Wish my CTX had that.

Tech is what it is as far as the brains that go in the machine right now. Consider that CTX.....and redesign it from shaft to box. Personally id still like to have a PI/VLF combo.... flip a switch like on the whites PP system to go back and forth.

Dew

The CTX would be very expensive to best in terms of the hardware and firmware inside of it. I do not envision anyone can do it for any less of a price especially in a cottage industry type setting.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Why do you need to see the coil? I painted mine, but now see that it was a waste of time. I would like to see the cable inside the shaft, that cable really makes it hard to swing under water. Yeah, a water proof plug for the coil, thats the way to go, and for the head phones also.

Why do you need to see the coil? I painted mine, but now see that it was a waste of time. I would like to see the cable inside the shaft, that cable really makes it hard to swing under water. Yeah, a water proof plug for the coil, thats the way to go, and for the head phones also.

Because the harbor where I detect is black mud/muck and the first scoop you dig turns the water all around you jet black. You cannot see anything. Like an octopus ink cloud. This muck holds a lot of gold, but it makes visibility next to impossible.

Back
Top Bottom