Shipping metal detectors...

Crumble

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Ok, so I sold my Infinium on ebay to a guy in Iowa... the box was 30"x20"x10"... and it costed me $81 ($15 of it was insurance) to ship it via UPS... USPS tried to charge me $120.

I keep hearing people say they ship their detectors for $20... how?!

My Tejon auction is ending tomorrow, and I would rather not pay another $50+ to ship it...

WOW.

I ship mine to the factory without the rods which is impossible for you of course. Fits in a small box and costs less than 20.00 for priority 2 day shipping to TX.

WOW.

I ship mine to the factory without the rods which is impossible for you of course. Fits in a small box and costs less than 20.00 for priority 2 day shipping to TX.

Yeah the Infinium had 3 coils, the S shaft, 2 headphones, etc. so it took a pretty big box... but I see companies offering free shipping on huge boxes, there must be some loophole I'm missing... or maybe they just get a huge discount because of the quantity that they ship.

I shipped my DFPI from Connecticut to Sweet Home for $18.00 in a 12"x12" x5" Flat Rate USPS box. Obviously I didn't ship the rod. However, if I did ship the rod separately it still wouldn't have cost what it cost you and I was shipping coast to coast.

Yeah the Infinium had 3 coils, the S shaft, 2 headphones, etc. so it took a pretty big box... but I see companies offering free shipping on huge boxes, there must be some loophole I'm missing... or maybe they just get a huge discount because of the quantity that they ship.

Volume is the reason they can ship for less. Amazon ships me huge boxes for free that would cost me $$$ to ship myself via Brown.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

That doesn't seem right- even at 30 lbs should be approx 54 for USPS priority or 27 for ground. Did you accidently check priority express?

WOW.

Ditto. I shipped two just last week the same way. No rods.

That doesn't seem right- even at 30 lbs should be approx 54 for USPS priority or 27 for ground. Did you accidently check priority express?

I think they also measure size along with weight, I know UPS does.

Size matter.......:laughing: well at least to UPS. Also, when i ship to a Business UPS has a reduced rate. Is it cheaper to send 2 smaller IF IT FITS IT SHIPS boxes? Or one for the coils/detector and one tub for the shaft? You are right thou, there is a lot of guys that constantly sell detectors surely they arent paying that kind of money to ship.

Dew

You have to tell the USPS clerk to use the cheapest way possible. Some clerks will go the more expensive route unless told otherwise.

I know they say not to use the UPS store. But go straight to UPS. Me I have no idea where a regular UPS place is. You can still get pricing before you ship. Priority isn't cheap when they measure big boxes. I know a front grill to a vehicle you had to send freightlines. Used to be $225 minimum. Sometimes its probably better to get an estimate and add that in the price before you sell. Definitely need insurance though. Someone stole a guy I know's T2 during shipping. When they get stolen the people point fingers. So the only one who loses is you:no: Make sure not to ship it in a factory box showing what is in the box.

Recently shipped a stainless steel 48inch Scoop to a fella in Arkansas from Texas which is not far I know but it was in a box 50 inches long 12inches wide 8 inches depth through USPS priority mail and it cost me $23.00 dollars with insurance and tracking number which is free now also sounds to me like they quoted you a overnight price or something :?:

I recently shipped An F2 detector with 3 coils and a extra lower rod with USPS by priority mail for around $15 - $20. Always break everything down to as small as possible because they do measure the box. I always ship priority mail and have never heard of charges like that. I shipped one detector to Canada for $25-$30. Do you still have your receipt? Something is wrong with that charge.

I pack things for a living..... 99% of my income comes from out of state/country sales. THis means I spend ALOT of time packing and shipping. A busy week will see 6-8 musical instruments ranging from small violins... to 6 foot tall upright basses.
When it comes to detectors its all in dimensions!!!!

Weight isn't all that important... it HOW SMALL CAN YOU GET THE BOX. You would be amazed the size box I just shipped a whites eagle spectrum, headphones, carry bag, detector cover, extra coil, lesche, propointer, and detecting book. It all shipped priority air to Jerusalem for $38. WHY? Because it was in a tiny box! the guy probably thought I had cut it into pieces when he got it! lol. You have to get creative with fitting it all in there WHILE MAINTAINING STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY!

Ok, so I sold my Infinium on ebay to a guy in Iowa... the box was 30"x20"x10"... and it costed me $81 ($15 of it was insurance) to ship it via UPS... USPS tried to charge me $120.

I keep hearing people say they ship their detectors for $20... how?!

My Tejon auction is ending tomorrow, and I would rather not pay another $50+ to ship it...

The reason for the unusually high cost is that the package is considered oversize. I don't ship UPS very often, but I do ship 100's of items every month by FedEx and USPS. Sometimes all it takes is 1" too much and the shipping costs can double! It's not really the 30" length, but the 30" plus the 20" that is making the rate go up.

As mentioned above you may want to try shipping the detector in 2 boxes. The shafts are the part that normally cause the issue, so put those in one long, but thin and lightweight box and then the rest is a small square box. Also FedEx Ground is normally the least expensive way to ship large, yet relatively lightweight boxes, so if you keep it all in one box that may be the way to go.

Going to pack the Tejon up tonight for shipping tomorrow, we'll see how small I can get it... thanks for the input guys, it probably was just oversized... but $80 is crazy. :no:

Hmmm, i just shipped my ss. It only went 100 miles up the road in CA.
I printed the shipping label through Fleebay and sent it in a box 18"x14"x8" & weighed 8lb for a cost of $18.59. It arrived in 2 days. Just as a comparison, i also just shipped a laptop. It was sent in a box 16x14x7 & weighed 11lb and went to Tennessee....cost $21 flat & arrived in 3 days.
Now, i went to ship a drysuit (not a Fleebay sale) through USPS and they wanted $30 to ship the box to N.J, 14x12x8 & weighed 7lb.
i'm not entirely sure if Fleebay are giving out a shipping discount,it sure appears that way,but i can't see Fleebay giving anything away!!!
It's a debatable conundrum.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom