pink quarters

not pink....but clay red:lol:

When I clean them they're pink....they almost look like copper quarters:D

Mostly Red one's and some silver:D ,but did find a few pink colored quarters in a pond that they had lowered the water level in.

I've notice the same funny looking pinkish red color, but not always. If you want to have some fun with these quarters, put them an ultrasonic cleaner with a strong vinegar solution for about 20 minutes.

Alan Applegate

Rust

I find a lot of rusty ones. Does anyone know what type of metal is used for the outside of clad quarters? Copper in the middle, I think. But what's on the outside of quarters and dimes that rusts so badly?

Jennings

The current clad version is nickel plated copper (8.33% Ni with the remainder Cu). The nickel reacts with soil acids, fertilizers etc. RickO

Plating?

The current clad version is nickel plated copper (8.33% Ni with the remainder Cu). The nickel reacts with soil acids, fertilizers etc. RickO

RickO, so most of the coin is copper? When you say plated I assume the silver surface is only molecules thick. This must be why clad dimes are so easy to find. Almost as easy as clad quarters - all that copper in the middle.

I always pictured a true layering of metal like plywood. I used to think they mashed the silver (nickel) against the copper in big sheets and then punched out the slugs. Never occurred to me they plated copper slugs on the front and back.

Thanks, Jennings

yeah the ones i found were in the same spot and they werent rust or red, they were a metalic almost neon pink

Did you find them near pine trees or in the pine needles?
I have found pinkish <-- is that a word? Anyway, I have found them under pine trees.

nope. under the bleachers at a little league ball park. no plants or trees just dirt and sunflower seed shells lol

Did you find them near pine trees or in the pine needles?
I have found pinkish <-- is that a word? Anyway, I have found them under pine trees.

Plated is likely not the correct term technically. The ten-cent coin, quarter-dollar coin, half-dollar coin and one-dollar coin are all "clad" coins, produced from three coin strips that are bonded together and rolled to the required thickness. The face of these coins is 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel and the core, which is visible along the edges of the coins, is composed of pure copper. Sorry for the misleading terminology. RickO

RickO, so most of the coin is copper? When you say plated I assume the silver surface is only molecules thick. This must be why clad dimes are so easy to find. Almost as easy as clad quarters - all that copper in the middle.

I always pictured a true layering of metal like plywood. I used to think they mashed the silver (nickel) against the copper in big sheets and then punched out the slugs. Never occurred to me they plated copper slugs on the front and back.

Thanks, Jennings

Hey Jennings actually what you had pictured all along is fairly correct, they are not "plated " in the commom plated notion. They are clad, or Bonded with heat and pressure. Think of cival war ships, they were calles Iron Clads, because the main structure was Wood, and Overlaid with Iron or Clad in Iron.
I have a buddy that is a Fireman, and he has a BUNCH of modern coins he has found after fires he has been to. Some were found inside desks and such after a house fire. They come out all Bulged out in the Middle, Kinda like Pita Bread. Or Looking Like Saltine crackers with Bubbles all across them.
Plating is a chemical process by whichsime base metal is submerged in a soloution, and DC electricity is used to create a + and - field, and molecules will adhere to whatever you are plating. and will Completely cover whatever it is you are plating, any you Wont see whats underneath till it is worn off or scratched off. That is why You CAN See the copper when looking at the edge sandwiched between nickle. Thats why in a fire the 3 layers separate, as nickle and copper have diffrent melting points.

Last edited:
Mechanical bond

Silver Eagle, I once worked in the microwave business. We manufactured waveguide assemblies and flanges. Some of the flanges were copper and aluminum alloy mashed together under tremendous pressure. Each layer was about .150 thick. It was a mechanical bond in that the two original sheets of metal were roughed up on their contact sides. Under great pressure they melded into each other and locked tight. Not a chemical or molecular bond, but mechanical. I figured that was how clad slugs were made in sheet form first.

Jennings

Back
Top Bottom