Understanding Frequencies.

Armistead

I just stated hunting again the last few months using older machines. Lot's of new stuff on the market.

Could someone explain frequencies in more detail, seems each brand uses different settings and of course the high end rigs can cover the spectrum.

Mainly wanting to understand how it relates to what metal your hunting, depth, etc... I'm looking at a F5 right now for a good used price that uses
7.8kHz, why other units are in the 12 range.

I just stated hunting again the last few months using older machines. Lot's of new stuff on the market.

Could someone explain frequencies in more detail, seems each brand uses different settings and of course the high end rigs can cover the spectrum.

Mainly wanting to understand how it relates to what metal your hunting, depth, etc... I'm looking at a F5 right now for a good used price that uses
7.8kHz, why other units are in the 12 range.

3kHz will give you maximum return on silver dimes but will make detecting gold more difficult. 18kHz and up is for gold. Everything in between is considered general purpose and you don't need to worry about it much, that's why so many are designed for 7-12kHz.

3kHz will give you maximum return on silver dimes but will make detecting gold more difficult. 18kHz and up is for gold. Everything in between is considered general purpose and you don't need to worry about it much, that's why so many are designed for 7-12kHz.

Good reply!

A quick lookup shows the regular AT Pro is 15kHz, they set the AT Gold to 18kHz to help find small gold.

Kellyco deserves credit for a fantastic website, when you are on their site you can click the button "Click to compare this metal detector" and it shows you all the specs. You can load up to 3 detectors to cross reference the features. Good learning tool.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the double post as im on my phone at work i didnt get that far lookin on this subject. HH

My Garrett 2500 has several different frequencies. The manual doesn't say what they are. Only to try a different one if you get interference. Anyone know what they are?

My Garrett 2500 has several different frequencies. The manual doesn't say what they are. Only to try a different one if you get interference. Anyone know what they are?

The 2500 uses a 7kHz search frequency. When you are using the frequency shift function it's probably only adjusting it by 50Hz or so, just enough to avoid interference from another detector. It wouldn't change the overall capabilities of the detector.

Gold prospecting readings?

The other day I was out in the desert with a friend, looking for some gold! We were just sampling area's and I thougt to try my detector, even though it is'nt for gold prospecting.(Tek4000).
We did'nt find any gold but my questions are: with my MD what readings should I be looking for IE:00-99, if it was to find a nugget? Also since the GB is pre-set and none adj. from the factory, am I just picking up the ground minerals?
I was using the MD mostly in A2 mode and got alot of iron readings and some dime or Qr. readings but nothing but dirt,rocks and black sand when we panned.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom