Gold or not Gold??

skyblast

So I dug this ring at a site that I've hunted many times before. My thoughts on this are mixed. The last time I tried to sell back a G.F. ring I was told that is was completely worthless yet it said 1/10 10K G.F.

Why it's not gold
-"O karat G.F." written on the inside..meaning it's not gold
-The outside of the ring is copper or some type of metal that is corroding

Why it might be gold
-The inside is shiny just like gold and came clean right out of the ground
- It was low tone for the most part. E-Trac 12-31. I've dug gold rings at 12-35, 12-28 and 12-29. So it seems to fit right in.
-It says Gold Filled, so doesn't that mean that some gold is present?
-Its got what looks to be a makers mark right after the G.F. If it has a makers then that should indicated that some gold is present???
-It has a bit of weight to it

So is this thing completely worthless because it says 0 karat or does it have some value? The inside looks exactly like all of the other gold rings I've dug.

I'm guessing that most of you are going to say, get it tested. The 0 karat part irritates me. At least the last G.F. I dug said 1/10 10k G.F. so I knew that it contained some gold. This latest one looks better than the last but claims zero credibility on the inside.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20130807_184906.jpg
    20130807_184906.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 20130807_184918.jpg
    20130807_184918.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 391
I'd bet that it is a 10k gold filled. The "1" was probably stamped only lightly and/or rubbed off. Gold filled means it has a thin layer of gold on it.

Thank you for the feedback. So I looked as closely as I possibly could. The zero before the karat is very defined however there is no sign at all of a one at all.

So let's say for the sake of argument that it is 10K G.F. Would anyone want to keep it? Would you all consider it junk? The last G.F. ring that I found did not shine nearly as well as this one.

I know that people up in Alaska pan all day for that amount of gold that I just found in one plug...they get it in flakes too.

Looks like 10K gold filed to me. Nothing wrong with that at all. May not be worth a lot but a keeper none the less.

Just some of my cheap rings I've found.

Rings-Display-5.jpg

It definitely says 10k gold filled. I can see a trace of the one in the photo. It wouldn't say zero karat gold filled. That would be an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp or Bounty Hunter Metal Detector. (just kidding)

Its worth something to you because you found it. Not everything you find has to be worth a bunch of $$$. Better than a zinc penny.

Thanks everyone. Yes a definite 10k gf keeper. I have it strung up with the rest of my gold rings. Man I love this hobby

Its worth something to you because you found it. Not everything you find has to be worth a bunch of $$$. Better than a zinc penny.

Looks like 10K gold filed to me. Nothing wrong with that at all. May not be worth a lot but a keeper none the less.

Just some of my cheap rings I've found.

I agree. I LOVE finding rings for a lot of reasons. When they are silver, gold, or even gold-filled that is even more exciting. I personally don't consider a gold-filled ring to be a junk ring.

Towzilla, I don't know exactly where I'd put that ring on my hierarchy of things I'd like to find on my next hunt, but at a minimum I'd rather find that ring than a wheat penny, clad dollar, or even a war nickel!

Back
Top Bottom