Best place to nugget shoot in the lower 48?

OkieDigger

Forum Chipmunk
Forum Supporter
I know Alaska is great for nugget shooting, but what's the best place for nugget shooting in the lower 48? I'm a hobby prospector and I'm looking at taking a prospecting trip to Colorado this summer, unless of course someone knows someplace better?

The only one I've heard of is on the east coast here, and I think there's a mine in Georgia too.

Here's the Reed Gold Mine in North Carolina

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/hs/reed/reed.htm

The first Gold in America was discovered on John Reeds farm in 1799; And 1999 was the bicentennial celebration for the Reed Gold Mine.

John Reed's son found a 17 pound gold nugget & him being a farmer did not know what is was or what it was worth. John took it with on his semiannual shopping trip to Fayetteville to a jeweler who asked John what he wanted for it. John said $3.50 a week's wages in those times. Later John found out that the nugget was worth about 3,500.00 which was a fortune in those times. John did not get mad he just found some more gold in the creek bed & started mining the property of what is now the Reed Gold Mine in Stanfield, NC. All told over 65 million dollars in gold was found; or 742 million in today's economy; also the largest nugget was 28 pounds found by Peter an Afro - American Slave.

The Reed Gold Mine is now owned by the state of North Carolina & is Free admission. They have many exhibits & a movie telling the history & underground tour of the mine & gold panning for 2.00 in the summer.

Thanks. I've not been to N.C. for gold, just Georgia as far as eastern states go. From what I understand, N.C. is pretty much all claimed. I'll look into it though, thanks!

Nugget Shooting in the Lower 48

I know Alaska is great for nugget shooting, but what's the best place for nugget shooting in the lower 48? I'm a hobby prospector and I'm looking at taking a prospecting trip to Colorado this summer, unless of course someone knows someplace better?

If you want go panning for gold or go nugget shooting there is quite a few small creeks and rivers, located around Dahlonega and Auraria, where you could go for free. It might take a little bit of research to locate the best spots.

Actually, there is 2 gold mines, that are still in operation, located in Dahlonega, GA. The first one is called Crisson Gold Mine. It is located at 2736 Morrison Moore Pkwy East, Dahlonega, GA, 30533. Their phone number is (706) 864-6363. They are open 7 days a week, "rain or shine." Their hours are April thru October, 10 AM - 6 PM and November thru March, 10 AM - 5 PM. Crisson Gold Mine is located about 2 1/2 miles from downtown Dahlonega, GA. You can also buy 5 gallon buckets of sand and pan for gold or pan for gemstones.

The second gold mine, located in Dahlonega, GA, is called the Consolidated Gold Mine. It was the largest gold mine east of the Mississippi. They offer guided tours of the mine for around $10 - $12, which last about 45 minutes to an hour. You can also pan for gold here. They are open daily from 10 AM to 5 PM and there phone number is (706) 864-8473. Their website is www.consolidatedgoldmine.com.

There is also a couple more points of interest. The first one is the Dahlonega Gold Museum. It is located in the old courthouse building, circa 1836. Exhibits and the film "Gold Fever" tell the story of the gold rush of 1828 and the history of the area. Phone number is (706) 864-2257. Open Mon. to Sat. 9 AM to 5 PM. There is an admission charge.

The second point of interest is the Price Memorial Hall. It sits on the original foundation of the U.S. Mint, circa 1837. This recently restored building gives you a peek of what the old Mint was like. If you happen to find a big hunk of gold, why not share the wealth. ;) GL and HH

Hi Okie, Arizona and Nevada and of course California would be the better ones I think. I used to live in Southern Arizona and there is gold there for sure. Ok I wish you luck and be careful.

John Tomlinson,CET

Back
Top Bottom