Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Elite Member

Default All-Metal mode is for me

I had an epiphany yesterday.

My F4 does great in disc mode and I've been using it that way since I got it. Then I started learning more about ground balancing and the added depth I can get with All-Metal. Man, what a great way to do it (yes I realize I'm preaching to the choir)

After a meeting yesterday in a NJ farming community, I did a little swinging in all metal and dang, the depth I was getting was fantastic. Plus, hunting by ear felt a lot more natural.

I would find a target and then switch to disc to get an idea of what it was (basically to eliminate iron). Then I'd pinpoint and I was good to go. My pinpointing technique with the DD coil has improved as well.

...sometimes it takes a while for JerseyJoe to see the forest through the trees.

HH all!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Elite Member

Default Welcome to All Metal Madness!

You'll get your AMM membership card and welcome packet in the mail shortly! Congratulations and welcome. We'll do the secret handshake at the convention!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Elite Member

Default "tubalcain"

Pass grip of a master all-metal mason
Attached Images

DEUS
GOLDEN CLEANSWEEP

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Elite Member

I learned my unit's language running it in all metal for the first 3 months, let my ears do the discriminatin'...All metal mode is the best way to learn any make or model detector, I think. When you can go from that to running minimum disc, hearing good targets thru the iron nulls, and actually increase the amount of quality finds rehunting the same locations again, then you know you and the MD now make a good pair, and you can trust it more to make judgement calls. No matter what, when in doubt, DIG! Happy Hunting!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Elite Member

When I started this hobby with my Compadre, it was difficult NOT to hunt with at least some discrimination. I started in December of 2010.

Now that I use an F2 primarily, I hunt in all-metal to see if there might be some masking of a good signal. My DD coil came in today and I will continue to hunt in all-metal.

I've got a good feeling about that new coil on my F2!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Curbdog View post
When I started this hobby with my Compadre, it was difficult NOT to hunt with at least some discrimination. I started in December of 2010.

Now that I use an F2 primarily, I hunt in all-metal to see if there might be some masking of a good signal. My DD coil came in today and I will continue to hunt in all-metal.

I've got a good feeling about that new coil on my F2!
You're gonna love that DD coil. Congrats!