Batteries

Orvin

I have been pondering this question about metal detectors. Some use 9 volt alkaline and others use as many as (8) 1.5 volt batteries, I know you can get rechargeable batteries and a charger but I wonder why they have not incorporated an on-board charging system? where you could recharge the batteries and not have to worry about a separate charging station. You would still be able to use the one time use batteries or rechargeable. I use a digital camera where you can just plug in a charger or use one tine use batteries so why not metal detectors with the same option? maybe the do and I just missed it in reading the specs of different detectors. :confused:

My Teknetics 8500 and 9000 are over thirty years old. They use 14 AA batteries and can last for more than a month of detecting. They came with rechargeable batteries and you only had to plug the detector in to recharge them. I gave up using them because they would die without any warning, usually a long way from your car. I went to heavy duty AA's which lasted longer and seemed to taper off as they lost power. It was easy to tell when they needed replaced. Perhaps the new rechargeable batteries are better but I'll stick with alkaline and lithium batteries.

I was just curious as all the specs I read about different detectors made no mention of having an on-board battery charger and for such an advanced bit of electronics it seemed strange not to find mention of one. I am using a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 not because it is a favorite but because it fit my budget.... but seems to work OK, have only been involved in the hobby for about 3 months.

A lot of it probably has to do with price. Even though it would be cheaper over the long run it would cost more to build and the price tag would be higher. Many people don't do any research and make purchases based soley on price. Plus the MD company would be depending on a third parties battery. Garrett would be awful pissed if they installed a battery inside their machines only to find out they are junk after a year or two.

Some of the more expensive detectors have that feature. They are more expensive, and that would be part of the reason. I've looked into this subject and decided 1.5v AA are the best for me. 9v are more expensive and rechargeable versions are rare and hard to find. AA's offer many more options. The AA Lithiums last much longer than the Alkalines but the cost compared to that doesn't justify using them.

Think for most people, a set of batteries last more than a few hunts, actually a month or more... Most rechargeable batteries don't like to be store partially charged, or completely exhausted. Really need to learn new habits for using them, or you end up killing them. Think the manufacturers leave the battery options open to the consumer, so they don't have to deal with issues some will have, from not taking proper care of rechargeable batteries. I'm sure many will move toward lithium-ion battery packs, which have safety circuits built in, lightweight. Little more expensive, but a huge benefit.

Back
Top Bottom