Sealing a Coil Cover

Greenman

I am wondering what you guys use to seal up your coil covers to your coil. I have had one on my Land Star for over a year. I think it was well worth the money to buy one. After hitting my first beach I cleaned it all up and I decided to take the cover off. I found out there was a ton of wet sand under the cover.(I used it in the dry sand and then took it to the waters edge to search some more.) I hit 2 more beaches and have the same result. I don't want to keep pulling the cover off because it is a tight fit and I don't want to crack it and break it. Are there any problems with sealing it up? What happens if it doesn't get sealed completely and sand and water get up underneath it? Could condensation form inside if you seal it all up? Just needing some opinions about what to do?
Thanks in advance.

I don't seal mine. If I feel the need I take it off and clean it out. I don't worry about the cover loosening up. If it does, it will be quite a while 'til that happens, and I feel it was cheap enough I could replace it if need be.

I dont seal mine on my Fisher - never have much dirt in there when I replace it either.
Lots of guys use a vinyl type of soft plastic sealer - it doesnt get real hard, will peel off . Check at the local hardware store. steve in so az

Yeah, maybe I will be able to seal it with some sort of tape. Any other ideas on how to seal it temporarily then? The only time I need it sealed is when I search beaches. I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have. Thanks so far guys.

You might try a removable caulk. I use it to seal air-leak around windows (inside the house) in the winter. In the spring it's still soft and pulls right off. I'd let it harden-up over night before heading to the beach.

Silicone caulk works real well. It peels off pretty easy from the plastice coil when you want to replace it.

I believe in mechanical integrity. I don't seal mine, as I want access to clean them.Cleaning the coils and cover can be done whenever your done for the day. I have found that even in the worst conditions, I have had very little inside my cover. If your cover fits loose, use some nylon cable ties around its perimeter to make it tighter. Just cut them when you want to open it up.

I think I will just leave it like it is. And clean it every time I get done.
Mine doesn't fit loose at all. It fits very tight. The sand just works itself in there some how. I scrape the sand to. No point in keeping your coil 6" off the ground. Just that much less penetration you get into the ground. I will just clean it out every time I get done with the beaches.

I used to have that problem on my previous machines, but only when I would place the coil into the water. Here's what I have done... Once that coil cover is on there, there's no real reason to take it off except to replace it because it wore through. (The reason we all use them... They're cheaper than a new coil!) Anyway, I use a very small amount of aquarium sealer (bathroom caulk doesn't hold as well) all the way around the lip. It doesn't take much and is pretty much invisible if you don't over do it. Then, if you ever need to replace it just take a real small straight edge screw driver and carefully remove it. Once it starts to come off, it's easy to remove. Good Luck!

I think I will just leave it like it is. And clean it every time I get done.

In my opinion, that's probably your best bet. After the beach, I don't take the cover off of my coil, I just thoroughly wash it with a garden hose when I get home, using a nozzle to increase the water pressure.

No point in keeping your coil 6" off the ground.

No need for a coil cover if you did! ;)

Back
Top Bottom