Using a Rare Earth Magnet

bucksbeat

I've been seeing a lot of people post about rare earth magnets being used to fish stuff out of ponds and such. Sounds like a fun idea to me.

What kinds of cord do people use to avoid losing their magnets? Interested in hearing how people use them with the most success.

- Gordon

I made a 12 X 6 inch magnet using about 8 "blocks" of material from a mining site. I enclosed it in aluminum. Rare earth ? Anyway - I have not used it in water as here in the desert there's very little but have used it extensively at old housing sites - especially alnong the railrtoad lines. We dig old dumps and I drag it through the earth and way undert trees & bushes, finding a lot of goodies. I have a strong rope on it.
If under water I would think It would be smarter to use a nylon line. Steve in so az

I've got a rare earth magnet? about the same size as yours Steve I use in the Mississippi, found anchors, steel pails, steel fishing rods, small punt gun , lanterns ,bicycles, log chains. So I've got alot time on my hands :shock: I use kevlar cord if I get stuck on something bigger than I am ;) I cleat it off on the transome either get the object or pull it loose. Doesn't have the same draw as Mding though. I get bored trolling for walleyes we hit the back waters with the magnet & troll for junk LOL
Tim

Back
Top Bottom