1st Hunt Back From Cali Nets a Silver St. Christopher Medallion

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I got back from vacationing in Cali with my wife on Thursday. I didn’t hunt early Friday because I was tired and the tides weren’t as good as they would be on Saturday. I really wanted to hit Miami Beach with my Excal that just got back from Minelab within 2 weeks that was waiting for me when I arrived! (The PP pot was starting to go bad. I also mounted it on the CF shaft that I had ordered). However, the surf was rough so I went to another beach that I knew wouldn’t be as impacted. I changed my mind and decided to take Noxy. When I got to the beach the surf was not too bad, but seaweed was a big problem near shore and in the wet sand area. I decided to do dry sand but was able to get some small tracks of wet sand in as well. I tried the water but the seaweed, water murkiness, and bit of surf just wasn’t pleasant so I went back in after about 5-10 minutes. I hunted for 3.5 hours and felt I was getting better at learning the ‘Nox as I played with various settings. It was a pretty good clad haul for my time there and I was surprised at the silver St. Christopher that I noticed today. I showed it to the wife and it's now gone! :lol: Hopefully, I ‘ll get out a few times during the upcoming week as my summer vacation is in its death throes… :(

Additional Equinox observations: A digital display is worthless when your LCD screen is below murky water which makes hunting with tones a better option with an Excal. I am curious as to how y’all set for the number of tones on your ‘Nox. Do you go for all 50, 5, or 2? I have found myself preferring the 5 setting but I am wondering am I putting myself at any disadvantage?

Attachments

• 8-4-18.jpg
    8-4-18.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 8-4-18 medal (1).jpg
    8-4-18 medal (1).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 8-4-18 medal (2).jpg
    8-4-18 medal (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I got back from vacationing in Cali with my wife on Thursday. I didn’t hunt early Friday because I was tired and the tides weren’t as good as they would be on Saturday. I really wanted to hit Miami Beach with my Excal that just got back from Minelab within 2 weeks that was waiting for me when I arrived! (The PP pot was starting to go bad. I also mounted it on the CF shaft that I had ordered). However, the surf was rough so I went to another beach that I knew wouldn’t be as impacted. I changed my mind and decided to take Noxy. When I got to the beach the surf was not too bad, but seaweed was a big problem near shore and in the wet sand area. I decided to do dry sand but was able to get some small tracks of wet sand in as well. I tried the water but the seaweed, water murkiness, and bit of surf just wasn’t pleasant so I went back in after about 5-10 minutes. I hunted for 3.5 hours and felt I was getting better at learning the ‘Nox as I played with various settings. It was a pretty good clad haul for my time there and I was surprised at the silver St. Christopher that I noticed today. I showed it to the wife and it's now gone! :lol: Hopefully, I ‘ll get out a few times during the upcoming week as my summer vacation is in its death throes… :(

Additional Equinox observations: A digital display is worthless when your LCD screen is below murky water which makes hunting with tones a better option with an Excal. I am curious as to how y’all set for the number of tones on your ‘Nox. Do you go for all 50, 5, or 2? I have found myself preferring the 5 setting but I am wondering am I putting myself at any disadvantage?

I have been using five tones on my Nox.
Grats on the sterling.

Hope you had fun in Monterey...did you bring your detector to Calif? I don't think I could go to any beach without my detector :D

strick

I see the pennies were building up while you were gone.
:lol:...and quarters too! Actually, this beach has always been low on pennies.

Hope you had fun in Monterey...did you bring your detector to Calif? I don't think I could go to any beach without my detector :D

strick
Wasn't even tempted to bring it! I had a couple of you Left Coast guys very nicely PM and offered to meet up for a hunt beforehand but I just couldn't swing it with our plans. Your summer water temps may be colder than our winter water temps too!

Hey Felix....glad you enjoyed your trip to Cali. Next time you are out here, I will show you our beach pennies look just like yours:laughing::laughing: Glad you made it home safe.

However, the surf was rough
Same here, the rip currents knocked me off my feet multiple times. Heck, it was dragging my scoop away and I finally decided to call it quits.

I am curious as to how y’all set for the number of tones on your ‘Nox. Do you go for all 50, 5, or 2? I have found myself preferring the 5 setting but I am wondering am I putting myself at any disadvantage?
My preferences on the NOX change with the wind, but for right now, the 50 tone allows me to tell the difference between coins and some of the common shaped aluminum like pull tabs. Of course, gold could sound just like a coin or aluminum, but it gives me a better idea than the 5 tone.

BTW, nice haul!

Back
Top Bottom