"Treasure Cove" or "Bounty Hunter"?

ioan

Hi,
I want to buy my first metal detector and I don't want to spend more than $150. Right now I'm looking at the following two, which one do you think is the best for beginners?

Treasure Cove Fortune Finder Platinum Digital Metal Detector Set:
http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Cove-Fortune-Platinum-Detector/dp/B000WO7L3S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV Metal Detector + Headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter...A3L1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299789984&sr=8-1

Thanks!
-ioan

Welcome.
Best for what exactly?
I say Tesoro Compadre.
Or buy used. Be very happy with used in $150 range.

Between those 2 i would get the Bounty Hunter but if you are looking to spend the $149 i would either get used or a Tesoro Compadre for $152. You can get a better machine than either one of those choices!!!!!

Yup, a Tesoro Compadre will beat either of those by a mile......and it has a lifetime warranty. Sweet machine!!!!

Dusty

Welcome.
Best for what exactly?
Well, for having fun, I live near the ocean and I don't want to get bored there when I go in the weekends with my family :-)

I say Tesoro Compadre.
Or buy used. Be very happy with used in $150 range.

There is a "Tesoro Silver Sabre" on craigslist here "used twice" for $175. If I can get it for $150 is that a good price?

There is also a "Tesoro Compadre" for $115 but that's about 75 miles away from my home, is it worth the drive for that price?

If it is a Silver Sabre uMax then yes might be my all time favorite. But since you want to hunt the beach mostly, might want to research a little more...

If it is a Silver Sabre uMax then yes might be my all time favorite. But since you want to hunt the beach mostly, might want to research a little more...

Is metal detecting on the beach different than in my back yard? Is it because of salty water? Hmm never thought of that... or am I wrong?

Yes, certain detectors aren't fit for beach hunting. Especially the wet sand, dry sand you might be able to get by. I do know for sure most Bounty Hunters don't work well in the wet sand.

Yes most less expensive detectors come pre-set to work well on average ground. A salt water beach is far from average and a Manual Ground Balance can make a big difference.

On the other hand I used a Silver Sabre uMax at the beach once when I first got it, late 90's, and didn't have much problem. Also the uMax machines have loads of cheap used coils for sale which can help too.

I agree, you need to step up some if you want a good beach machine.

So, for example, the "Tesoro Compadre" won't work at all on the beach? Before spending 3-4 ++ hundred on a detector I want to make sure that *I enjoy* the craft :-)

If that really is a Silver Sabre uMax and you can get it for $150 I would try it out. If it is in as good of shape as they say, you could sell it here for $200, or use it in a trade for something else if you don't like it. A Compadre at the beach might do ok in the dry sand, might do very well on shallow targets, but is has a small coil and the beach is pretty big, and deep...

EDIT: P.S. - I can already tell you are hooked and your budget will soon grow. Especially when you factor in how that gold chain will pay off your machine anyway. If your going to be hunting the beach a lot, gotta be able to hit the sweet spot, down in the wet sand.

from what i have read the compadre will do ok in the dry sand. maybe someone with more experience with it will stop in. the great thing is if you buy it and get tired of it you wont lose hardly any of your investment. I dont see used ones for sale very often and when i do they end up bringing around $125 give or take. I was in the same position as you a month ago and couldnt decide what to get but really wanted new and not used. I called Andrew at New England Detectors and he was very knowledgeable and a big help. You might want to call him and talk to him. That wont cost you anything..

I did some digging and found this post on here from tjc45 who took his compadre to the beach..

"I have a Compadre. I'm new to this and i'm finding all sorts of cool stuff.

I decided to take it to the beach. Except i never made it to the beach. I made it to the parking lot that leads to the beach. I pulled into the beach parking area, got the Compadre out, turned it on, and it started beeping right away. i figured it was detecting my Jeep. But, it was a quarter buried in the sand under the Jeep. Two hours and 57 hits later I had 31 coins, a bunch of fishing sinkers and lures, a couple kids toys, and some bottle caps. All found in the parking area within 30 feet of my Jeep.

I can't speak for or against the Ace, but the Compadre, it's a great detector."

Hey guys, longtime lurker here. I love this site. I've learned so much by just reading all of the real world metal detecting experiences. So, thank you very much.
I have the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and I absolutely love it. I haven't used it on the beach yet, but I've logged many hours at the local parks and have had some nice finds with it. Including a silver earring and a 1943 silver quarter. I found it for under $100 at walmart.com. I hated buying it from there, but it was the best deal.

My 2 cents.

On-on

So, for example, the "Tesoro Compadre" won't work at all on the beach? Before spending 3-4 ++ hundred on a detector I want to make sure that *I enjoy* the craft :-)

I would think it would work in the dry sand but not wet. Most detectors coils are waterproof but the controller is not. You get it wet and its done for.
Those other detectors can find stuff but you would be better to get something different.

The local Hobby Lobby carries a few Bounty Hunter detectors. About every other week their ad in the local paper has a 40% off coupon for one item. I guess that would include detectors too.

I got the Tesoro Silver uMax from craigslist for $150. It is in very good conditions (no scratches or any marks of usage) with all the manuals, registration, and 2 extra batteries. I guess it is a good deal. Thank you all for helping me choose it.

Now what? :-)
Any tips on how is the best way to use it? I'm going to read the manual, but do you guys have any secrets that I should know?

Back
Top Bottom