Any Cigar and/or Pipe Smokers Out There???

JohnnyFlake

I have smoked both pipes and cigars, intermittently, for about 40 years now. For the last four or five years, I seem to only smoke, my true passion, Cigars.

Chime in if you indulge in either and chat.

What do you smoke and for how long?

Which cigars or tobaccos to you enjoy?

And so on!

Cigars. Picked up the habit again in Iraq seven years ago. Anything from Cuba. RP Vintage, RP Connecticut, Monte Cristo, Macanudo, etc.

Get my cigars through cigars international usually. Like to smoke and have beer, whiskey or port with it.

ude9anav.jpg

2yhabame.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was never a heavy smoker but did smoke cigarettes some and enjoyed a cigar from time to time while I was bullhead/catfish fishing at night. Also used to chew chewing tobacco when I was out working in the barn, and enjoyed that more than smoking. After having a heart attack about 6 years ago I switched to smoking menthol as you can see in the picture.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 329
I like to smoke cigars sometimes...I've been smoking them for like a year now maybe....Usually when I drink - though I just got diagnosed 2 days ago with diabetes, and have yet to see my primary dr...I am hoping I can still drink....

Anyways I have always bought cheaper ones - like 3 to 5 dollar range....But recently I bumped it up, and bought a $9 Macanudo......All I can say is WOOOOOW, what a difference....That Macanudo is probably the best cigar I ever had....Very smooooooooth, and very smokable.....

I was looking into getting a humidor....Not sure if I should get the small box type they have at the tobacco shop for like $100, or maybe look for an antique that can store a lot more cigars.....I was worried though that maybe if I bought an antique humidor that maybe the seal might not be good.

I like to smoke cigars sometimes...I've been smoking them for like a year now maybe....Usually when I drink - though I just got diagnosed 2 days ago with diabetes, and have yet to see my primary dr...I am hoping I can still drink....

Anyways I have always bought cheaper ones - like 3 to 5 dollar range....But recently I bumped it up, and bought a $9 Macanudo......All I can say is WOOOOOW, what a difference....That Macanudo is probably the best cigar I ever had....Very smooooooooth, and very smokable.....

I was looking into getting a humidor....Not sure if I should get the small box type they have at the tobacco shop for like $100, or maybe look for an antique that can store a lot more cigars.....I was worried though that maybe if I bought an antique humidor that maybe the seal might not be good.

I have been living with diabetes for over 20 years now. If you keep under control, you will be able to drink but minimally. They don't want you to smoke either, but I have still been smoking my cigars all of that time. I believe they are much more concerned about cigarettes.

I would not suggest buying a small desk top humidor, they really do not work very well and they hold very little. Do a few searches on Coolidors & Igloodoors. Google is your friend. It will show you how to build a humidor with a 48 quart ice chest for less than $100. They work perfectly and hold a lot.

The best thing for you would be to join a group I belong to and it's free.
Join here: http://www.stogiefriends.com/ There are many, many good, friendly people with lot's of knowledge. A great cigar smokers site.

For some reason smoking cigars gives me serious heartburn. I do smoke menthol cigarettes and have for close to 15 years. My latest obsession for the past few years has been sheesha. One packing into my hookah can last hours and they have some really nice flavors. Hookahs can be expensive especially when buying from some of these headshops but luckily we have the indian reservation here so you can find one pretty cheap. We also have a hookah lounge but I don't hang out there often. An ounce of sheesha seems to last me longer than a carton of smokes. I pay between $19 - $25 for a carton and can usually make it last close to 2 weeks. An ounce of sheesha is only about $12 and I can mix it up and get a few different flavors and make it last just as long. Maybe I should switch to vapor.!?

WOW!

That looks like a cigar shop humidor!!!

This is adjacent to a game room, so from in there it doesn't look too commercial.

It's the first place I go when I get home from the office. Sit out on the deck with a stogie and wind down. It works. I like all of Don Pepin's blends and they are my go to cigars.

This is adjacent to a game room, so from in there it doesn't look too commercial.

It's the first place I go when I get home from the office. Sit out on the deck with a stogie and wind down. It works. I like all of Don Pepin's blends and they are my go to cigars.

That being the case, I must bow to you sir!

Photos of my humble Aristocrat M60+ follow:

I have bout 700 cigars on hand!

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 257
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 253
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 250
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 250
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 253
Very nice indeed. Does it have a humidifier or do you use beads? Keeping the humidity constant in a large humi is not easy. I try to stay around 65% and never above 80F.

Very nice indeed. Does it have a humidifier or do you use beads? Keeping the humidity constant in a large humi is not easy. I try to stay around 65% and never above 80F.

Yes, it has a heavy duty humidifier which is connected to a digital hydrometer and controls the humidity automatically. In addition to the fan in the humidifier, there are 4 smaller fans in the back panel of the until that go on for 30 seconds every 20 minutes. It's all automatic. It's called the set and forget system. I just add distilled water on the first of every month. I keep it set at 65%.

I have had it for 3 years now and I love it!

I picked up cigar smoking in Afghanistan. I'm a Rockey Patel and Drew Estate fan. What I have depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes a mild, sometimes a full bodied one. I have 1 when I mow the grass and then sometimes sit on the porch and have one with a beverage.

That being the case, I must bow to you sir!

Photos of my humble Aristocrat M60+ follow:

I have bout 700 cigars on hand!
Looks like cigar's is a hobby for some as it would be alot less work and money just to buy a pack of cigars and when they are gone buy another pack. I can almost smell the cigars when looking at the pictures, I love the smell of cigars not the smoke but the cigar itself.

Looks like cigar's is a hobby for some as it would be alot less work and money just to buy a pack of cigars and when they are gone buy another pack. I can almost smell the cigars when looking at the pictures, I love the smell of cigars not the smoke but the cigar itself.

Yes, it is a hobby of sort, but there is also a very serious reason for having a quality humidor and putting cigars away, so to speak, for a year or two, and even much longer. Quality hand made cigars will improve in flavor and even strength (to a point) as they age. It's like a fine wine in a sense!

Many cigars are great smokes when fresh/new, so I'll smoke them for awhile, but after about 6 months, maybe a year, I just let them rest for at least another year, before smoking them again.

Yes, it is a hobby of sort, but there is also a very serious reason for having a quality humidor and putting cigars away, so to speak, for a year or two, and even much longer. Quality hand made cigars will improve in flavor and even strength (to a point) as they age. It's like a fine wine in a sense!

Many cigars are great smokes when fresh/new, so I'll smoke them for awhile, but after about 6 months, maybe a year, I just let them rest for at least another year, before smoking them again.

Yep, while the tobacco aging is done in the aging barns prior to rolling, they can still improve over time. I understand that cigars can continue to age and improve for up to 50 years provided they are stored properly. I date the bottom of every box before I shelve them. Some don't last a few weeks if they're good but if they taste "green" then they sit and mellow.
These are good as they come...

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 225
Yep, while the tobacco aging is done in the aging barns prior to rolling, they can still improve over time. I understand that cigars can continue to age and improve for up to 50 years provided they are stored properly. I date the bottom of every box before I shelve them. Some don't last a few weeks if they're good but if they taste "green" then they sit and mellow.
These are good as they come...

Yes, those are truly great cigars. I like them when I first buy them and especially after a year. For me, they seem to develop a very deep, earthy, medium/full profile which I love.

Tonight it is an RP Old World Reserve that has been in the humidor for several years. Great smoke.
nane8e2u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Back
Top Bottom