What did I find?

EShore

Hello all. Hoping someone out here can help identify what I found yesterday. I am new to metal detecting and had an amazing first weekend.

As you can see in this picture, it looks like a shovel. It's about the size of a normal shovel blade but I have no idea what these 3 ridges are. I found it on the Eastern Shore of VA in close proximity to farm land about a foot down. The house was built 1760's and had an addition in 1876. I suspect it is piece of farming equipment, perhaps from colonial times? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Shovel1.jpg
    Shovel1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 140
It is the lid to a treasure chest that contains 100 gold coins. Go back there and dig deeper in that spot ! :laughing:

But seriously now: It's scientific name is: Iron junk. Comes in a million different sizes and shapes. That is usually just chucked into the bushes or into the garbage can. Perhaps some aggie/farmer type person here will know the specific function of your particular item.

It is the lid to a treasure chest that contains 100 gold coins. Go back there and dig deeper in that spot ! :laughing:

But seriously now: It's scientific name is: Iron junk. Comes in a million different sizes and shapes. That is usually just chucked into the bushes or into the garbage can. Perhaps some aggie/farmer type person here will know the specific function of your particular item.

I always referred to them as UFO's (Unidentified Ferrous Object). But ya.... its junk and you'll dig a lot more if you keep swinging that coil.

Thanks for the replies. I think I found enough iron junk to make me question ever digging another hole. Turns out that piece was from an old firebox, according to an old local farmer.

Back
Top Bottom