value of this and other metal detecting forums

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have been metal detecting off and on since the late 80's. Back then you just maybe read a brief manual and then picked up your new metal detector and started hunting. Of course they were rather basic and there wasn't a lot to learn about the actual metal detector.

What I didn't know that there was a lot to learn about metal detecting like site selection, coil technique, techniques for hunting trashy sites, obtaining permissions and learning the subtle differences in tones. On on the beach the many skills involved in reading the beaches. Heck, on vacation we just grabbed our detector and started hunting the beach with few clues to why our VLF detector was so noisy. Yes we did find some things, but we could have found a lot more with beach reading skills, beach selection and using a metal detector designed for salt water.

Back then there were maybe 1 or 2 books on detecting and a few gold or treasure magazines that might have a very general article on metal detecting every so often. Any mention of finds were typically fabulous types of treasures or huge nuggets that the average Joe would never find.

But now we have a handful of metal detecting forums to browse with real world questions that more often than not get answered by true expert metal detectorists responding to our posts. On top of that you can private message very specific questions that you may not want the world to see like info about a specific place you are hunting.

This forum and one other metal detecting forum are my "go to" forums" that I browse every day. I have learned more about metal detecting since March 2018 than everything I knew before. Does that make me an expert? No, but it does make me more competent and confident. What spurred this learning was my purchase of the Equinox 800. I came from using the AT Pro for three years to the Nox 800. Whoa! what a surprise. For the first couple of weeks I thought the 800 was broken it was making so much chatter.

Little did I realize the many fine attributes of the 600 and 800 allowed you to hear darn near every thing that was passing under your coil. If I had not had these forums and more specifically these sub-forums on the Equinox models I would have sold the 800 withing a month's of it's purchase and probably gotten out of the hobby.

By reading what Calabash digger had to day and especially his videos, and Vferrari, BufordCityDog, Tom in CA, Tnsharpshooter, Mudpuppy and others who make thoughtful and informative posts I learned so much about the 800 and metal detecting in general and did not give up on the 800. Thanks guys I was able to tame this beast known as the Nox 800.

On these forums there was and is a lot of back and forth on the merits of one brand/mode over the other/one. Especially with the Equinox series. It was supposed to kill this brand/model or that brand/model. I notice they are all still in business and that is good.

This back and forth will tend to keep all honest. If I were to come out with some wrong in formation, I would be corrected by others who knew the facts. The last thing we need on our forums is people learning bogus information.

So this is basically a cheer to the administrators of this forum who keep the conversation civilized for the most part. Still there are a few grouches who slip in their strong opinions from time to time with a bit of rudeness. But some of that is the nature of the forums, people often get a little too direct in the forums than they would in person. Another good attribute of these metal detecting forums they are mostly free for the political discussions that rage everywhere else on the Internet and on tv news.

And finally thanks to the many readers and posters who make these forums work for us. A true and valuable resource for all of us.

this is my favorite forum . I started in the 80's also it was on the job training .

Very nice write up Maxx. Couldn't of said it better myself. If it wasn't for the people on this forum I wouldn't get near the enjoyment out of this hobby as I do.

An excellent dissertation and description of what a "Friendly Forum" is all aboutđź‘Ź Thanks Maxx

These forums are priceless!!! Seriously, no matter what the subject, if you want to learn a lot quickly about a hobby, find forums and read, read, read...

BCD

Well Said Maxxkatt! This forum really revived my interest in detecting, and continues to keep it going. It also accounts for several improvements in my knowledge, skills and finds.(and gear too) I too upgraded to an EQ 800, and this forum plus a few online videos made a HUGE difference!
A lesser forum could not have done all this for me.

this forum is the best! initially i joined the main UK forum because i live in the UK , but found out its a real sham, you cant criticise certain makes because the guy running it is selling those makes but making out hes just an enthusiast

... Back then you just maybe read a brief manual and then picked up your new metal detector and started hunting. .....

Yup. Back "in the day", your only source of connection, to the outside world, was to read the treasure magazines. Other than that, you were sort of limited to whatever the dealer in your area tells you (*IF* there was a dealer in your area, and *IF* he was knowledgeable , in the first place). Or your mentor who got you into it, .... you simply went where he told you, and followed his tips.

There were also clubs in some of the larger cities. That was where you went to see what other people were finding. See and compare results of various machines. Bounce ideas off of others fo spots to hunt. Show & tell your own finds. Meet and hunt with others, etc...

But nowadays: The internet has sort of taken over that social & educational outlets. It spelled the death of all but the biggest city clubs. Nowadays, people are lazy and don't get off their duff and go to meetings. They sit at the comfort of their desk and socialize and learn there. Clubs = R.I.P.

Clubs = R.I.P.

I see it differently, Tom. I see Friendly Metal Detecting Forum AS my club. I would never have joined a F2F club, anyway. it's not my thing. I switched clubs about 18 months ago, and couldn't be happier here.

:)

A club is a bunch of like-minded folks who show up, talk the hobby, share finds, and occasionally connect up for a hunt. There's also an occasional contest.

Based on those parameters, there's nothing missing here!

Skippy

Yup. Back "in the day", your only source of connection, to the outside world, was to read the treasure magazines. Other than that, you were sort of limited to whatever the dealer in your area tells you (*IF* there was a dealer in your area, and *IF* he was knowledgeable , in the first place). Or your mentor who got you into it, .... you simply went where he told you, and followed his tips.

There were also clubs in some of the larger cities. That was where you went to see what other people were finding. See and compare results of various machines. Bounce ideas off of others fo spots to hunt. Show & tell your own finds. Meet and hunt with others, etc...

But nowadays: The internet has sort of taken over that social & educational outlets. It spelled the death of all but the biggest city clubs. Nowadays, people are lazy and don't get off their duff and go to meetings. They sit at the comfort of their desk and socialize and learn there. Clubs = R.I.P.
Theres still a coinpopper club here in Santa Rosa.

Definitely agree with your assessment of clubs and the internet. Man this net thing just really saves you time though. I would love to join a club if there were one fairly close, but the time restraints push a person to the web instead.

.... I see Friendly Metal Detecting Forum AS my club. ...

That's exactly what I was saying. That today's internet has taken the place of the yester-year "clubs". In the old days, you had no choice but to attend a club meeting to see what others find, to show off what you find, to meet others, to see the latest tech, etc..... Today, us lazy-b*tts do this from the comfort of our easy chairs.

Theres still a coinpopper club here in Santa Rosa.

Yes. Some cities still have clubs. But attendance has wained, as I'm sure the old-timers there will attest to . Clubs : R.I.P.

So....Then one might assume that future Family Reunions can be done much easier and quicker via FB?

Actually they already are, all you have to do is click the little handshake icon and type "Good ta CYA cuz"!! All done from the gaming recliner.

" Hey Grandma, how bout another Grape soda"??

Last edited:
This forum I a great place for many reasons! This is unsolicited because I am not associated with the operation of the forum but I saw the value of this forum some time ago and decided to click the donate button every now and then to help keep it going. just a thought. I know some other forums are much less friendly. I am on a xp deus forum and there are some folks there who reply to all questions with "the answer to your question is on the xp website" not even a link to the site. This forum is so helpful, everyone seems to really want to help other get out and have a good time!

This forum is quite good. Several of the contributors are very knowledgeable and I've learned quite a bit from their writings. Particularly in regard to the CTX. If one needs information on a given machine, settings or an accessory, you'll find it here.

That being said, I've over my lifetime been on several various forums. Fossils, fly fishing and motorcycle restoration. I've often thought that some psychologically trained and inclined individual could easily write a paper on the phenom of
"forums". The small clicks that form, the tribalism of the guys that joined the forum at it's inception, the "celebrities" of the forum, the people that join, make three or four posts and disappear, the way, as been noticed here, if a female introduces herself, she's inundated in responses, the whiners and the complainers, etc etc etc.
I find it all very interesting.

I have been metal detecting off and on since the late 80's. ........

Back then there were maybe 1 or 2 books on detecting and a few gold or treasure magazines that might have a very general article on metal detecting every so often. Any mention of finds were typically fabulous types of treasures or huge nuggets that the average Joe would never find.

Actually, in the late 80's there were almost a dozen magazines specifically about metal detecting or treasure hunting and entire libraries of books. You could buy books about every aspect of detecting and treasure and prospecting. There were also lots and lots of clubs back then. The only missing were internet forums, but they were only a few years away. TNET began in the 90s.

I do agree that forums have become a crowd-sourcing of information and have even begun shaping the future detectors and make the knowledge far easier to reach. I also agree that FMDF is the best forum around!

This forum is quite good. Several of the contributors are very knowledgeable and I've learned quite a bit from their writings. Particularly in regard to the CTX. If one needs information on a given machine, settings or an accessory, you'll find it here.

That being said, I've over my lifetime been on several various forums. Fossils, fly fishing and motorcycle restoration. I've often thought that some psychologically trained and inclined individual could easily write a paper on the phenom of
"forums". The small clicks that form, the tribalism of the guys that joined the forum at it's inception, the "celebrities" of the forum, the people that join, make three or four posts and disappear, the way, as been noticed here, if a female introduces herself, she's inundated in responses, the whiners and the complainers, etc etc etc.
I find it all very interesting.

LOL, youre absolutely right! Regardless of the forum or type, its same across them all!

I am only doing this great hobby for a little over a year. I am in no way an expert but thanks to this forum I have become a fairly good dirt digger. I have learned so much from all the good postings and also have picked the proper equipment for my type of hunting. I spent the time to learn my machines too. Thanks for the great information to all on this site. HH & GL

Back
Top Bottom